first and second service questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jeebus

first and second service questions

Post by jeebus »

When I took my buddy 125 in for its first service, they gave me the impression that it was the second service that was the big one where they check everything like valve clearances etc and they said I should bring it in at something like 1600 or 1800 miles for that.

But I forgot whether it was 1600 or 1800 or what so I called them to ask, and the guy I got this time seemed to think 3000 to 3500 would be normal for a 4 stroke and didn't seem to think the second service was of any particular significance vs just the regular service intervals.

So I'm not sure what's already been done and what needs to be done for service. If I now just have them do oil change and valve adjustments at the appropriate intervals am I missing anything important?

I looked at the receipt from my first service to see if I could decipher what's already been done. It says "1st service 4 stroke" and I see that they've already put synthetic in it (says top speed 4t 15w50 syn). Thanks.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

According to the manual the big one should be at 5000km (so about 3000 or so miles).
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

If I understand correctly, the first service should be at about 500 miles and the second at 3000?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pugbuddy wrote:If I understand correctly, the first service should be at about 500 miles and the second at 3000?
That's pretty much correct. Genuine has said first service between 300-500 miles. This one MUST be done by a Genuine dealer or authorized service shop to retain your warranty. However, given that the second service includes valve checks and so on, you'll probably want a dealer to do that, too.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jeebus

cool

Post by jeebus »

Thanks so much everybody! When the guy originally said 1600 or 1800 I remember thinking that sounded too early. But it sounds like the second guy I talked to and everybody here is saying 3000ish, which I think is what I'd had in mind originally anyway before I got the weird 16-1800 number. So I'll go with that. It's so nice having a forum like this to get a sanity check when I'm not sure about things like that. Thanks again.