Why didn't I think of this? (Givi s850 gps holder)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MAJensen

Why didn't I think of this? (Givi s850 gps holder)

Post by MAJensen »

Has any one seen or used the gps holder from Givi?
http://www.giviusa.com/News-en/S850---G ... sal-holder
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Thats a sweet GPS mount, I've never seen a waterproof one before. Wonder what the price is though?
dsmith65

Post by dsmith65 »

Quick google search shows places selling them for about 65
MB #2349
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Nothing on their site so I emailed and got a quick response. dsmith65 is correct. $65.00.
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

One of my local bike shops sell them and no sooner are they in stock, then sell out. They retail for $82 here, Scotland the land of the dear.
I don't have gps or I would get one.
brape

Post by brape »

That looks so much safer then my method of directions shoved into the glove box pulled out at stop lights. Do you suppose you can hear the GPS over the wind and engine noise? I don't particularly care because I'd be happy to just have my GPS in cue sheet mode and be able to see it at a glance.
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

POC has them:

http://www.clevelandscooters.com/givi.html

A friend of mine uses one on his Kymco Xciting 250. He likes it but says it's sometimes hard to read due to the vibration of the bag.
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

Similar user name. Is your name Tim as the name has another meaning in my country? I take it you have an Irish connection?

irishtim wrote:POC has them:

http://www.clevelandscooters.com/givi.html

A friend of mine uses one on his Kymco Xciting 250. He likes it but says it's sometimes hard to read due to the vibration of the bag.
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

My Christian name is Timothy. Father's side from outside Belfast, Mother's side from Liverpool. Mostly Irish but Father's mother was from Kilmarnock, Ayreshire and Mother's father was Welsh. I was born in US but can also claim Irish citizenship. Attended University of Notre Dame in Indiana, USA. (In sport our nickname is the Fighting Irish).

I'm assuming Scotland is your country. Last time in Scotland (backpacked the West Highland Way and spent time on Skye and in Inverness as well) no one let on about another meaning to the name. I hope it's nice!
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

irishtim wrote:My Christian name is Timothy. Father's side from outside Belfast, Mother's side from Liverpool. Mostly Irish but Father's mother was from Kilmarnock, Ayreshire and Mother's father was Welsh. I was born in US but can also claim Irish citizenship. Attended University of Notre Dame in Indiana, USA. (In sport our nickname is the Fighting Irish).

I'm assuming Scotland is your country. Last time in Scotland (backpacked the West Highland Way and spent time on Skye and in Inverness as well) no one let on about another meaning to the name. I hope it's nice!
Hi Tim, I shoot past Kilmarnock on my way to Troon for the ferry to Ireland. My family are all from Donegal although I was born in Glasgow.
Well done on The West Highland Way, haven't done it myself but my sister has. Been on Skye a few times, great island.

p.s. A Tim in Glasgow would mean you are a Celtic fan. :lol:
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

Irishrover wrote:[ A Tim in Glasgow would mean you are a Celtic fan. :lol:
Excellent! Guilty as charged. Celtic played here in Cleveland, Ohio USA in 2002 in an exhibition match against Boca Junior from Argentina. As Cleveland has a large Irish (and even larger Catholic) population they were the crowd's favorite. My Dad's father emigrated first to Glasgow from Trillig in Ulster and became a streetcar-conductor before coming to the US. (He was one of the poor Irish-imigrants in Glasgow that Celtic's parent organization was formed to help.) Cleveland is a lot like Glasgow. Although it's wonderful to visit the touristy stuff in Edinborough I'll take Glasgow.
On a funny note: My good friend Neil who attended the Celtic-Boca match with me is from Dumfries. He grew up in the Orkney Islands where his father, a fire and brimstone Methodist preacher, was starting a church. In his teen years his standard rebelliousness included becoming a Celtic fan just to rile up the Rangers' fans in his family! :lol:
michelle_7728

Why didn't I think of this?

Post by michelle_7728 »

Nice Givi map holder! :)

However, for the spendthrifts out there, there is another option:

http://www.theoutfitteratharpersferry.c ... bar/Detail

Here's some pictures from my scooter:

The blue you see behind the map holder is one of those blue shop rags. You could find something that looks nicer, but the reason I have it there is because I found out, the first time I rode with the GPS, that the plastic on the map holder and the finish on the Buddy do NOT like to rub on each other.... :( Luckily, it's not a big blemish, and having the soft rag there avoids the problem. :)

Also, I'm able to read the speed at least fine while scooting. Went on a 350 mile round trip and was able to test my speed via the GPS up to 55 (didn't look after that). I did cheat and write up some directions which I scootched (is that a word? :P ) up above the Garmin in the case, so I saw both my directions and the Garmin.

In very hot weather, it might not hurt to take a hole punch to the bottom of the case to give it some ventilation, but in the mid to high 70s it wasn't an issue. These things are inexpensive enough to where you could have a couple--one with holes punched underneith to help with ventilation, and one that's intact for colder, wetter riding. :D

I usually don't have it plugged in (unless the battery is low, of course!), but I wanted to show the picture of it plugged in so folks could see that it's possible.

It may be a little tacky, but it works!

The 1st & 2nd pictures are identical--I just added lines to the 2nd picture so the wires would be more visible.
Attachments
Bar Map-4.JPG
Bar Map-4.JPG (121.84 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
Bar Map-3.JPG
Bar Map-3.JPG (114.84 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
Bar Map-2.JPG
Bar Map-2.JPG (171.71 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
Bar Map-1.JPG
Bar Map-1.JPG (138.87 KiB) Viewed 1051 times
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

It's a small world Tim, great history. Hail,hail. :lol: