Busted Buddy :(

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

r0sa

Busted Buddy :(

Post by r0sa »

yesterday, I was parked on the Drag near UT and went to shop at urban outfitters for 30 mins. As I was starting my scooter, it bogged down a little bit, didn't start up like usual, finally, after my bf trying and trying it finally started, then he realized that he had a note on his motorcycle, and it finally hit me that our bikes had been hit...

we were parallel parked near the curb and so we thought, what a nice lady, she left her name and number, we called and turned out to be a false number, im enraged with madness, my bf's bike has scratches on his gas tank, as for mine, broken turn signals and scratched panels all around, im so disappointed, we filed a police report just in case we decide to claim it on our insurance

sorry for the ranting, now I know how it feels for those of you that have posted about your scooters getting knocked over and basically having a hit and run :( what am I to do now...claim it on insurance and pay $1000 deductible, doesn't sound reasonable to me, and I don't have enough money to pay out of pocket, im a poor college student trying to get by :(

THIS BLOWS!
Ray Knobs

Post by Ray Knobs »

What is the point of paying for collision if your deductible is $1000 ?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Damn, Rosa, sorry to hear about this. Hate to say that the same thing happened to me once.

How much of the damage is essential? Is it riding okay? Steering and balance are correct?
Ray Knobs wrote:What is the point of paying for collision if your deductible is $1000 ?
That's not really the point of the post, but since you ask… Generally speaking, a higher deductible will save you money in the long run. There are a couple caveats, though: First, it only works if you can pay the deductible should you need to. Second, IMHO it's hard to do that much (insured) damage to the Buddy without totaling it. That means that for incidents such as this one, you're pretty much going to be paying out of pocket.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Is there any chance that a security camera from a nearby business could have caught someone on film?

Many years ago my husbands truck was involved in a hit and run in a parking lot. No cameras, but the guy was caught when he tried to get his car fixed and the paint on his fender matched the paint on my husbands truck and the truck that was parked next to him.

It might not be over yet. The creep might get caught!
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
Philio81

Post by Philio81 »

Rosa,
Sorry to hear about this gross stupidity lack of responsible behavior!

I agree someone might have heard/saw something (Maybe that's why this dope wrote a note - someone saw him/her). I would ask around at the local businesses for what it's worth. Sucks about the damage but it could have been worse...
maribell

Re: Busted Buddy :(

Post by maribell »

r0sa wrote:yesterday, I was parked on the Drag near UT and went to shop at urban outfitters for 30 mins. As I was starting my scooter, it bogged down a little bit, didn't start up like usual, finally, after my bf trying and trying it finally started, then he realized that he had a note on his motorcycle, and it finally hit me that our bikes had been hit...

we were parallel parked near the curb and so we thought, what a nice lady, she left her name and number, we called and turned out to be a false number, im enraged with madness, my bf's bike has scratches on his gas tank, as for mine, broken turn signals and scratched panels all around, im so disappointed, we filed a police report just in case we decide to claim it on our insurance

sorry for the ranting, now I know how it feels for those of you that have posted about your scooters getting knocked over and basically having a hit and run :( what am I to do now...claim it on insurance and pay $1000 deductible, doesn't sound reasonable to me, and I don't have enough money to pay out of pocket, im a poor college student trying to get by :(

THIS BLOWS!

That is such B.S. If you haven't already, fork over the 60$ to park at UT for the year in designated parking. I would not feel good parking over on the drag. As far as your bike, take it to Urban and see if they can un-gunk it. It might be worth paying the deductible if something is really wrong with your scooter. You could also try posting on Craigslist asking if any witnesses had seen it or any of the Urban Outfitters employees.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

Ray Knobs wrote:What is the point of paying for collision if your deductible is $1000 ?
+1
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Philio81 wrote:Rosa,
Sorry to hear about this gross stupidity lack of responsible behavior!

I agree someone might have heard/saw something (Maybe that's why this dope wrote a note - someone saw him/her). I would ask around at the local businesses for what it's worth. Sucks about the damage but it could have been worse...
+1 - if a false note was written, it likely means a bystander was nearby scolding him/her with their eyes. Worth a shot on CL and fliers. $1k is a HUGE deductible and I'd have trouble getting it together and I work full time!

Sorry to hear this Rosa. I hope it works out for the best.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Rosa! That sucks!!! I remember how I felt when some &$@! cab driver knocked my scooter over when it was parked. My damage was not as severe as in your case and still I was enraged!

I think jijifers thought about there being a bystander nearby is right on the money. The culprit would not have left you anything if someone was not there to make the criminal (which they are - leaving the scene of an accident) at least pretend to do the right/legal thing.

Hang in there. I'll be hoping a happy ending somehow manifests.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
sinkisbusted

Post by sinkisbusted »

Wow! I thought my $250 deductible was high.
Rob

Post by Rob »

dakotamouse wrote:Is there any chance that a security camera from a nearby business could have caught someone on film?
+1

A few years back I was T-boned at an intersection by a truck that ran a red light. I had two witnesses from other vehicles on my side and, somehow, two pedestrians that said I was the one that ran the red. A business located at the intersection happened to have a parking lot camera that picked up enough peripheral video to show that I, in fact, had the green. The insurance company obtained the video and used it to settle things in my favor.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
purple

busted

Post by purple »

So sorry R0sa! I really hope they catch the person. (That's too nice a name to call him/her)... If not, I truly believe in "what goes around, comes around). I'll be hoping for that for whoever did that to your bikes!!!
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

People pull that crap all the time in cities. They knock a bike over and then pretend that they're leaving their info just so the witnesses will not do anything, thinking that all is well. When you see someone knock over a bike, take down the license plate and vehicle description and make sure that the person who knocked over the bike sees you doing it. sumbitches... and then find a way to leave the info with the owner of the downed bike. Trust no one (not even yourself).
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Elm Creek Smith

Re: Busted Buddy :(

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

r0sa wrote:we were parallel parked near the curb and so we thought, what a nice lady, she left her name and number, we called and turned out to be a false number,...
Okay, the number might have turned out to be false, but not everyone is the sharpest tack in the box. Try a name search locally. She might have put a fake phone number, but lots of time those morons use their real names.

Just an idea.

Sorry for your trouble.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
Ms_Kady

Post by Ms_Kady »

I'm so sorry to hear this happened! Don't people just suck sometimes? I hope you find the person and everything turns out OK!
Tricia

Post by Tricia »

Man, that's awful. :( There must have been someone watching if the person left a note-- why leave a note with a fake number otherwise??Good luck.
Ventura County Scooter Club
Sombre-clair

Post by Sombre-clair »

Oh I would be livid. Who do you get your insurence through?