How many of you use your scooter as your primary vehicle?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Is your scooter your primary vehicle?

Yes
59%
No
26%
I ride my scooter and drive my car equally.
16%

Total votes: 129

Ms_Kady

Post by Ms_Kady »

Just curious to see what the numbers are as I've read numerous articles about scooter and motorcycle sales on the rise.

If it is your primary vehicle, did you originally intend for it to be or did you gradually start to ride your scooter more than your car?
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I got my scooter to replace my car. We have one car and one scooter and switch off periodically depending on our schedule.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

We are a one car one scooter family (me, my wife, 10 yr old daughter)

I actually sold my car first because we pretty much only used it for my commute, my intent was to ride the bus. Turns out I hate the bus.

Three years ago I got the Buddy, we do just fine with this arrangement.

There are obviously times when a family needs a car, but for sure we don't need two.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
beeporama

Post by beeporama »

The scooters are not our "primary" vehicle(s), but we both commute on them when weather allows (otherwise take a bus). Our one car beats them in mileage mostly due to long trips to see family.

As the years have passed, we've been willing to ride them in colder and colder weather, now pretty close to freezing. My wife picked up rain gear. I picked up saddlebags so I could do more small grocery shopping trips on it. There are too many lifestyle factors for me to get rid of a car completely, but the less miles I can put on the far more expensive vehicle, the better!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

My scooter has been my only vehicle for a year now and I have not felt hampered in any way. In fact it has been liberating. It's not so great on dates... but it does help me to weed out the ladies who are only after me for my money... :P

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

My car has sat idle (and now doesn't start) since getting my scooter last March. It'll probably be March again before I have enough money to get my car on the road but I will at that point. I'm not stoked about riding home in the dark and fog at 5pm. I'd like to have an alternative when I need one.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I bought the scooter to replace my bicycle (sort of). For the past several years, I've taken my bicycle to work and back, except when the weather's bad, in which case I took the bus or (less often) the car. But with the new job this year, that wasn't practical: I need the ability to run quick errands around town during my workday. So now it's primarily the scooter, but when winter arrives again, I'll switch to the car for a few months. Sadly, the bicycle has been neglected this year. :(
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I bought my Buddy when gas prices had just started to rise at the begining of '08. I intended to ride it full time. I ride it year round averaging between 50 and 100 miles a day on it (my office and back is a 50mi trip.)

After I got the right gear for winter, I don't miss the car at all. It takes a bit of pre-planning to cover the weather but its not a huge hassle.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I got my scooter beginning of this year as my first motorized two wheels. The plan was to only use the car for cargo hauling trips or when distance was extreme and time was critical. So far, so good.

Middle-end of August or so a friend of mine's car broke and had to go into the shop. Since I wasn't really using it, I let her borrow my car until she gets hers back. (Didn't realize what I was getting into!) Thanks to a slimy mechanic, she's expecting her car back sometime this week. So, I've been scooter-only for over two months...and loving it most of the time. :D
The puppy's been missing her car rides, though.

I used to change my car's oil every 5000 miles. Since getting the scooter, I've had to start going by months instead of miles. :lol:
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Is my scooter my "primary" vehicle - Yes.
Is it my ONLY vehicle - No

Since getting the Buddy 18 months ago, I have taken my van to work 4 or 5 times. I also use it for at least 50% of my usual errands.

Love it!

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
kmtscoot

Post by kmtscoot »

I use my scooter almost exclusively about 8 months out of the year. The other four months I use the cage and try to limit my trips.
2008 Buddy 125 (sold)
2009 SYM RV250
1963 Karmann Ghia
Rob

Post by Rob »

Weather and times when I have to haul quite a bit with me prevent me from using either the scoot or motorcycle as my primary ride. However, I ride them both whenever the opportunity presents itself. I have to admit, I'm on the motorcycle more these days than the scoot, but I do use the scoot more for the short hops around town.

I hope this is readable ... I just got home from a visit to the eye doc and have dialated pupils, so the screen is a little fuzzy.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

so far this year iv used less than two tanks on my Festiva (almost 800miles) my old van less than 1/2 tank (about 150 miles) iv put 5600 miles on my Rattler ,,, 2000 miles on my 50ccTGB,,, zuma 400 miles...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I ride the scoot probably 85% of the time, I only take the car if weather is really bad. It's been workin good so far. :D
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

My scooter replaced a bus. I've been a bus commuter for the past 6 years, but started thinking about a scooter a year or so ago. When they redid the downtown bus routes and moved my bus stop waaaay far away from my office, that was the final straw. I got my scooter at the beginning of summer and haven't looked back yet. I still use the car on the weekends because my 7 year old son wants to hang out with me wherever I go. I know that won't last, so I'm taking full advantage while I can.
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

The most miles put on the car this year were to haul the scooter to a few rallies. And that's why I'm keeping it.. I don't have enough vacation days to ride to the east coast (and back :( )
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

KRUSTYburger wrote:I ride the scoot probably 85% of the time, I only take the car if weather is really bad. It's been workin good so far. :D
Same here. Although it's more opinion and how I feel. Do I want to ride the scooter when it's 20-30 degrees in the morning for 30 minutes straight? Or do I want to take a warm cozy car?

I usually take the scooter over the car, but sometimes I feel freezing inside of my own house already, so I take the car. If I'm fine indoors and nice and warm already, I'll take the scooter. I take the scooter 3 of 4 days I go to school. Saves gas too, I buy gas every 2 days and spend only like $1.50 to fill up half-3/4 tank.
Ms_Kady

Post by Ms_Kady »

Wow, that's awesome you guys! I can't wait until I get enough confidence to start riding my scoot as regularly as you all do. :)

So far, I've made 4 trips to the grocery store (4 miles round trip) and a few other 10 mile radius outings from home, hehe.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Ms_Kady wrote:Wow, that's awesome you guys! I can't wait until I get enough confidence to start riding my scoot as regularly as you all do. :)

So far, I've made 4 trips to the grocery store (4 miles round trip) and a few other 10 mile radius outings from home, hehe.
You'll have plenty of confidence quickly if you keep riding on real roads like that. Just dont go on anything out of your comfort zone for now, build up small to big.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

From late April to mid to late October my scooter is 90 percent of my traveling. In April the roads are still covered with salt, sand and fine gravel, all intended to improve winter traction. November brings subfreezing temperatures at night and a fair amount of rain, it's usually above freezing when it rains however. But I don't like the combination of temps in the thirties and rain, that's too cold for me. I will ride if it is in the thirties and dry. December through March are out of the question. Icy, snow packed roads and brain dead cagers make traveling treacherous enough on four wheels, I'm not doin' it on two! :evil:

Sometimes I have to drop my daughters off at school. After I drop them off I come home and swap the cage for the scoot then head to work. I just phone in and say I will be ten minutes late, see ya soon. Overall I would guess I spend 60 percent of my travel in the car and 40 percent on the scoot. Not by choice however, out of necessity.

I had a REAL BAD SLIDE this April on some pea gravel which was still on the road. In my exuberance about being back on the scoot after a 6 month winter I was riding a little over the speed limit in town. 40 mph probably. There is a slight bend to the left then a stop sign. I noticed the gravel when my front wheel began to slide. I began to feather both brakes and went perfectly straight. No fall, no accident. I only stopped when my front tire went off the road into the soft ground, at least 100 feet from where I began to slide. I missed a parked car by no more than 10 inches. Anyway, that's why I don't ride in winter and immediately following winter.
myras_girls

Post by myras_girls »

I ride as often as possible. I will not ride if the roads are wet, icy or snowy. I generally will not ride if in temps below 30 degrees, though we don't have a lot of days that are that cold here in Fort Collins. (Nor do we have snow on the roads for more than a day or so here and there.)
<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/killerbee ... b/">Killer Bees Scooter Club</a> Fort Collins, CO
brape

Post by brape »

Its too cold here to ride a scooter year round. I won't ride if the roads are overly sandy, or if it rains (obviosly not if its snowing) I also take too many 3 hour trips up to climb in NH and 1.5 hour drives to see my boy.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Scooters (and motorcycles) have been my primary mode of transportation for over 40 years. Scooters for a few years in the middle there and then for about the last 6.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
slrn

Post by slrn »

We've been a one family car for several years now. I work from home but usually drive my 11 y/o to & from school on the scoot (20 miles roundtrip) My husband rides his motorcycle or bicycle to work (22 mile roundtrip) The most use our car gets is by our 17 y/o daughter who is not at all interested in two wheeled modes of transport, and drives it to school one or two days per week. Obviously weather isn't usually a big obstacle to riding here in AZ but it is surprisingly chilly in the mornings now when I'm taking the younger one to school. Although I have to admit it does feel sort of ridiculous getting 'all geared up' when you know it'll be close to 90 by lunchtime.
laxer

Post by laxer »

Had two cars when I got the scoot, and need both of them for the winter time. Other than that, I'm on the scoot.
C2

Post by C2 »

I bought Tang after falling in love with my wife's Vespa GTS250. Now, weather permitting... I use it nearly everyday for my commute to and from work.

C2
Sombre-clair

Post by Sombre-clair »

Scoot was my primary ride all summer, but now it is cold cold at night and the snow is coming. I don't feel comfortable riding in the snow in a car let alone scoot. We get knarly snow here too. :( so no more scoot untill spring.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

I'm in Michigan. I will soon be tucking the Tough Bunny in for the winter (sheds tear).

On the bright side, I do love my cage too. 2000 New Beetle, silver.
so tough, so pink
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

4000 + miles on the scoot since April, 500 miles on the car, does that answer the question?
Infact, my car (Jeep) wasn't even out of the garage, or started for that matter, from July to October!
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

My husband's scoot has been in the shop (stripped oil plug :x ) and so he has taken our car, leaving me 100% scoot, all weather. Normally I'd still be almost 100% scoot, but driving on really rainy days, or if I'm running late (expressway and 70mph cuts 10 minutes off the travel time)

We don't get real winter here- just cold and rain. The key to riding in bad weather is the rainsuit. You just ride a little slower and follow those MSF rules to the letter. No braking in turns.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

I've had my Buddy for 2-1/2 years and when it's just me, it's my primary vehicle. It's pretty much the only thing I ride to work--about 10 miles per day--even during the winter. Ok, there might be 2 or 3 weeks during the winter that it's just too dang icy, but I really hate having to break out the 15mpg van just for my short drive to work. Oh, and if it's pouring rain when I leave for work before daylight--a rare occurrence in Utah--I'll use the van then, too. :(

But my wife refuses to ride on the scooter, so when I go out with her--quite a lot, actually--we have to resort to taking her car. :roll:
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
mojobuddy70cc
Banned

Post by mojobuddy70cc »

i have 2 scooter and switch off the two, but around 7000/mi so far but that was alot of summer riding, i have a car and a truck and they sit on the street.
i have had a recent dislike for "cold rain" and last nite was my coldest ride to date, (weather dude says 31), but did that for about an hour.
on good days i will riding everyday, winter rain and black ice saftey issues no thanks not worth being that "religious" about riding.,put i did instal hi-beam fog runners on the vespa and thinking about a set for the buddy`s front rack, i do like the new lance armstrong glacier glove for riding,
wool is nice when wet but glacier is dry
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Here in southern AZ, I can use the scooter(s) year-round. If the weather is horrible, or I have to haul large objects, I'll take my old pickup truck, but I'd rather not, as it gets only 15 mpg.
gigi

Post by gigi »

I bought the scooter more to ride to the lake and save gas but have since found that I enjoy it more around town than I do road riding. winds are ferocious here at times. we get more ice than snow in this area but I managed to ride all year minus icy and some rainy days (40 inches so far this year in rain). gg
armed, dangerous, and off his medication
jcbud

Post by jcbud »

I had 2 cars in my family 1 for my wife and 1 for me. About 2 yrs ago I started a new job and I travel 80% of the time. I'm never home, so I got rid of my car. Why pay insurance and car payments on something thats going to sit for 22 days a month. I now zip around town on my scooter. Any longer trips or super cold weather I'll either wait for my wife or........or look at the snow fall.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Funny you should ask. I was just saying to my husband that we are two people, and now we have 10 modes of transportation: :oops:

2 road bikes
2 mountain bikes
4 scooters
1 economy car (Corolla)
1 pick-up truck (4x4 with canopy and roof rack)

Then to make it even more ridiculous, his job supplies a truck for him to drive!

I drive the Corolla when it is raining in the morning, or when I'm running late. I have really good gear, so I don't get wet or cold (well my fingertips sometimes get cold!) when riding, but I don't want to have to put wet gear under the seat or top case and I don't want to haul it up to my desk to dry out during the day. I don't mind carting wet gear in to the house to dry at night though, so if it rains on the ride home that's okay. :P

When I ride to work during the cold months I take the MP3 since it has much more storage under the seat (can store my armored jacket AND my armoured pants) and a huge top case (accommodates my full face helmet, hiking boots and other stuff). I'll be back to riding the Buddy to work when it warms up though and I won't have as much gear to store (no armoured pants & hiking boots for warmth). I think the Buddy is more fun to ride than the MP3, but they both have their positives.

I just started riding last June, and only used one tank of gas in the Corolla for the summer--I never drive the truck to work as it gets much worse gas mileage. My commute is 26 miles round trip.

Sorry to be so wordy! :roll:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Queen

Post by Queen »

I use a simple formula:

Warm temps - scoot

Cold temps - truck

When IL weather is decent I scoot exclusively for work/groceries/errands...
fiddlefan

Post by fiddlefan »

My formula is this...

Too cold or wet - DRIVE
On a date - DRIVE (unless she has a scoot too)
Most other times - SCOOT
It's official... I'm a "scootaholic"...even have the custom t-shirt to prove it.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

fiddlefan wrote:My formula is this...

Too cold or wet - DRIVE
On a date - DRIVE (unless she has a scoot too)
Most other times - SCOOT
Heh, my formula is:

Warm - Scoot
Cold - Scoot
freezing - Scoot
Raining - Scoot
Snowing - Scoot
Hailing - Scoot
Horde of Zombies attacking - Scoot( but carry a machette)
bpatrick5

Post by bpatrick5 »

We bought our Buddy Int'l 50 and 150 for recreational and casual commuters originally. I've found that I ride the 150 any day that I don't have to wear slacks or any day I don't have to ride with passengers. So, assuming the weather is good (most days in PHX), it's my primary rider Monday, Tuesday and Thursdays.

My girlfriend on the other hand rarely riders hers. Of the 150 miles on her Italia, I've ridden it for about 110. I feel back letting it sit in the garage and take it to work some days to keep it fresh. Before her new job and law school, she was riding it periodically to work (about 1.5 miles round trip).