Any news on the Genuine classic cruiser?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PeterC

Any news on the Genuine classic cruiser?

Post by PeterC »

Some months ago, there was much speculation on Genuine's plans to introduce a 270-300cc "classic cruiser," purportedly along the lines of a 1960s German classic such as the Maicoletta, Zundapp Bella or Heinkel Tourist. In more recent months, a loud silence. What's happening? Anybody heard ANYTHING? I'm waiting, checkbook in hand.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

I await as well.
so tough, so pink
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I have already purchased the first unit, the only one in the country. It is amazing! It is also for sale. Please send a cashier's check for $9,899 and its yours! Of course that price includes delivery to your front door. pm for details. :roll:
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

There is no way we will see it in spring 2010. Lets hope for 2011. I hope it was not tabled to the point of no return b/c of the economic conditions
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

With this years major MC shows coming up, if it is going to be introduced, that is when/where it will happen...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

DennisD wrote:I have already purchased the first unit, the only one in the country. It is amazing! It is also for sale. Please send a cashier's check for $9,899 and its yours! Of course that price includes delivery to your front door. pm for details. :roll:
Done. I await eagerly! :D

First nigerian scammers, now american scooter scammers? :lol:

I agree that it is highly possible being in the motorcycle show. Genuine showed off the Blur200cc back in 2007 and had a actual produced model on the floor for people to sit on and touch. It just never got enough popularity and never went into mass production.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

jfrost2 wrote:
DennisD wrote:I have already purchased the first unit, the only one in the country. It is amazing! It is also for sale. Please send a cashier's check for $9,899 and its yours! Of course that price includes delivery to your front door. pm for details. :roll:
Done. I await eagerly! :D

First nigerian scammers, now american scooter scammers? :lol:

I agree that it is highly possible being in the motorcycle show. Genuine showed off the Blur200cc back in 2007 and had a actual produced model on the floor for people to sit on and touch. It just never got enough popularity and never went into mass production.
Too late! Sold and shipped, but may have access to another still in the crate in Lower Slobbovia. Shipping is increased and of course, customs has to be handled. If you really want it, pm me and we will discuss arrangements to transfer ownership to you. All that will be needed is a wire transfer for you to pay the customs fees. Please send me $12,000 and your bank account number so I can show a transfer from Slobbovia to your account and then you can initiate the purchase through our agents.
:twisted:
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

peabody99 wrote:There is no way we will see it in spring 2010. Lets hope for 2011. I hope it was not tabled to the point of no return b/c of the economic conditions
I'm still hopeful it'll arrive in 2010.

Surprised there haven't been more reports/leaks on it, if it is coming out within the next six months or so. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

Any truth to the rumor that the prototype is being guarded by Chuck Norris? Because he doesn't sleep-- he waits.
laxer

Post by laxer »

peabody99 wrote:There is no way we will see it in spring 2010. Lets hope for 2011.
Just curious if you have heard something that I have not. Why won't we see it out in 2010?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

laxer wrote:
peabody99 wrote:There is no way we will see it in spring 2010. Lets hope for 2011.
Just curious if you have heard something that I have not. Why won't we see it out in 2010?
no nothing official. Just a bit of logic reinforced by gossip. Somebody would have a picture of the thing if we are going to see if mass produced by 2010(which is just 6 weeks away).

Even if one had appeared, there is also the chance it would not go into production-AKA ecobuddy. Although Ecobuddy was kind of ill conceived whereas the cruiser would be awesome.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote:
laxer wrote:
no nothing official. Just a bit of logic reinforced by gossip. Somebody would have a picture of the thing if we are going to see if mass produced by 2010(which is just 6 weeks away).

Even if one had appeared, there is also the chance it would not go into production-AKA ecobuddy. Although Ecobuddy was kind of ill conceived whereas the cruiser would be awesome.
Well, while I don't know if it'll arrive in 2010, the cruiser is real and will eventually be produced. Genuine has invested a lot into this scooter and has made it a high priority.

However, it's a pretty tough time to launch a new model—especially one that will sell for significantly more than a Buddy. Sales are still down, the economy still sucks, and dealers may not have the capacity to place significant orders of a new model when they're still sitting on '09 scooters. With the new Stella coming, the cruiser may have to wait.

That's all hypothesis and theorizing, by the way. I haven't spoken to anyone about the 2010s or the cruiser.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

If it doesn't come out in 2010 then I'm getting nthe Suzuki TU250. I'm not waiting for another full year to get something bigger than my little 50, not that I'm giving up my 50 but I definitly want a new two wheeled toy and the TU 250 fits the bill perfectly if Genuine flaks out on me :)
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

jasondavis48108 wrote:I'm not waiting for another full year to get something bigger
that is kind of what happened to me. I "settled" :lol: for a used GTS at a great price. Actually I could not be happier with my new addition. We still want to add a Genunine cruiser in the family and have decided the spouse will get one in 2011 or 12 or whenever it comes out. He is like me in that he prefers the classic style. In the 250 class right now, Vespa is the only game in town.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I do need a larger displacement scooter for trips involving highway travel and longer group rides. What I may do is find a used GTS 250 for interim use until the classic cruiser becomes available, if ever.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I saw some amazing deals this fall on craigslist for gts'. Under 4000 in some cases, and with very low milage.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote: In the 250 class right now, Vespa is the only game in town.
I have to disagree! In the somewhat classic-looking department, Aprilia's coming out with a 300cc Scarabeo and the 200 is actually nice, too. (The Scarabeo 500 is very nice and only $300 more than a new GTS 250!) For those who like a more modern look, there are quite a few good models in the 250-300 range, including the Kymcos and SYMs.

I do like the GTS quite a bit, though. If I were in the market for something this size and had the money, I'd probably go for the 300.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

jasondavis48108 wrote:If it doesn't come out in 2010 then I'm getting nthe Suzuki TU250. I'm not waiting for another full year to get something bigger than my little 50, not that I'm giving up my 50 but I definitly want a new two wheeled toy and the TU 250 fits the bill perfectly if Genuine flaks out on me :)
+1 on the TU. Susan has one, in addition to her Buddy. She now has the best of both worlds!

-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
rajron

Post by rajron »

I’m not going to wait either:
I considered waiting for the new Genuine, but, I don’t think it will have the classic style of a Vespa, or more simply put, it won’t be a Vespa.
I thought of the larger Piaggio/Aprilia scooters, but don’t like the modern look of those scooters, much less some of the maxi Japanese scooter looks.
Now motorcycles have always been on the short list, but, Buell, Lightning, my first choice, is going under, and the Aprilia Mana has some reliability issues, second choice, and then the WF told me we wouldn’t be able to ride together so re-reconsider motorcycles – she is the boss
The Vespa 250/300 are wonderful machines – they have a classic scooter look with enough oomph to get out of its own way when needed, and even for short spurts travel on the freeway.
So, today I put money down on a new Vespa 300 Super, Black!

I will post pictures when I get it, I might have to wait until Tuesday because of work schedule conflicts but I so excited about the new scooter I needed to mention it.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

ericalm wrote:
peabody99 wrote: In the 250 class right now, Vespa is the only game in town.
I have to disagree! In the somewhat classic-looking department, Aprilia's coming out with a 300cc Scarabeo and the 200 is actually nice, too. (The Scarabeo 500 is very nice and only $300 more than a new GTS 250!) For those who like a more modern look, there are quite a few good models in the 250-300 range, including the Kymcos and SYMs.

I do like the GTS quite a bit, though. If I were in the market for something this size and had the money, I'd probably go for the 300.
i agree the Aprilia is nice looking, but not really classic styled (at least in my mind). I also like the BV500, but same deal.

The 300 GTS' are awesome, but sensible me would not allow such an indulgence in my budget...granted they are close in price to a new 250, but unlike the 250, I think it would be hard to find one used.

And I also agree there are many excellent Kymco's and Syms (esp the cub), but they do not stir my heart like a Buddy, stella or vespa -new or old. Maybe it is just me....but I love to get butterflies when I walk toward my ride :P
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

peabody99 wrote:...Maybe it is just me....but I love to get butterflies when I walk toward my ride :P
I am so with you on that one!!

peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

rajron wrote:I’m not going to wait either:...........
So, today I put money down on a new Vespa 300 Super, Black!........

holy smokes, congrats. Prepare for new batch of butterflies in stomach
Last edited by peabody99 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maribell

Post by maribell »

First order of business: Crash bars. Oh how I wish I had some.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

maribell wrote:First order of business: Crash bars. Oh how I wish I had some.
it sounds like there is a story there. ...

I have put off getting crash bars, as the miles mount I imagine the risk of dropping decreases. But anything can happen with this iron mistress so I am still probably going to get them. The thing is heavy as hell. I have had times where there has been an incline and I cannot get it on or off the centerstand. :cry: this is when I know the GTS will be the heaviest bike I will ever own.

On the bad days I come home and the Buddy looks so cute and sweet and LIGHT. I feel I could lift it into my arms, and swing it around and maybe hug it. This is insanity that maybe only my sisters with heavy bikes could get :oops:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Crash bars on the GTS: a great idea. Fixing dents on the metal body is pretty pricey.

Crash bars on the Buddy: Well, they look good!
The crash bars cost more than the plastic panels they're designed to protect. In a minor fall or slide, it'd probably cost you more to replace the bars. In a more serious crash, the might absorb some of the force of impact and help protect the scooter, though if you crash that hard, you probably have other concerns.

The caveat, I guess, is that replacement crash bars might be easier to obtain than side panels. Or you could just take them off and ride.
rajron wrote:The Vespa 250/300 are wonderful machines – they have a classic scooter look with enough oomph to get out of its own way when needed, and even for short spurts travel on the freeway.
So, today I put money down on a new Vespa 300 Super, Black!
Wow, congrats! The GTSs are really great scoots. The ride is much different from what you're probably used to. They're so SMOOTH.

I know plenty of people who do more than short spurts on freeways on their 250/300s! Time for a long trip!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I agree crash bars don't make practical sense on plastic scooter. So far I am still trying to hedge my bets on the GTS though. Maybe I will give in before something happens. I can't wait for Rajron to show us his new ride.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I have to say, the one time my scooter has been knocked over, the crash bars saved me. All I ended up with was a scuff on the top case. So I definitely give the crash bars/cowl protectors a thumbs up. Aaaaand... they look cool... 8)

KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

I'll weigh in.

I've thought for a long time that Genuine needs to have some larger displacement scooters for those of us looking to upgrade. If they don't, they'll end up losing a lot of potential customers. Everyone's comments here just reinforce that idea.

I understand it's tricky with the current economic situation, but it sounds like there are a lot of us itching to upgrade as soon as possible.

I hope Genuine moves forward with this and the Blur 220 project so as to not miss their chance with these people.
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

my hope is that they buy the design being used here: http://www.scomadi.co.uk/

I would gladly pay $5k, maybe more. Between the classic look, and the build quality, it seems like Genuine would be able to give Vespa a run for their money. (although I don't know how using a Piaggio engine would factor into that equation).

That's my $.02
Syd

Post by Syd »

Iwabj may have pulled off the coup of the year, better even than the Eco and BlackJack photos someone posted last year and gotten a picture of the new cruiser in this thread.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

UnionZac wrote:my hope is that they buy the design being used here: http://www.scomadi.co.uk/

I would gladly pay $5k, maybe more. Between the classic look, and the build quality, it seems like Genuine would be able to give Vespa a run for their money. (although I don't know how using a Piaggio engine would factor into that equation).

That's my $.02
The Scomadi design is actually a carbon fiber version of a Lambretta GP200. Not much of a chance of Genuine copying that. No need to license it—Scomadi basically copied it themselves!

The Genuine touring bike is supposedly more influenced by non-Italian tourers such as the Fuji Rabbit Superflow, Heinkel Tourist and Maicoletta.
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

ericalm wrote:
UnionZac wrote:my hope is that they buy the design being used here: http://www.scomadi.co.uk/

That's my $.02
The Scomadi design is actually a carbon fiber version of a Lambretta GP200. Not much of a chance of Genuine copying that. No need to license it—Scomadi basically copied it themselves!

The Genuine touring bike is supposedly more influenced by non-Italian tourers such as the Fuji Rabbit Superflow, Heinkel Tourist and Maicoletta.
dude, its like you're following me post to post to dash my hopes. (j/k) In regard to the design, I meant the way they fashioned the frame under the panels to fit with the Piaggio motor. I'm totally cool w/them ripping off the frame straight from Lambretta, whateva.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Okay, I'm resigned to the new Genuine Classic Cruiser being a 4-stroke, because some people's delicate sensibilities are offended by the perfume of 2-stroke smoke, but please give us the option of shifting like grown-ups or CVT, and please, Genuine, make it look like one of the classics of the 1960s, and not another 2-wheeled Buick like the Burgman, Majesty, Silverwing, BV, X9, etc., ad nauseam. Persons of taste would not want their friends to see them on any of these plastic abominations!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

PeterC wrote:Genuine, make it look like one of the classics of the 1960s, and not another 2-wheeled Buick like the Burgman, Majesty, Silverwing, BV, X9, etc., ad nauseam. Persons of taste would not want their friends to see them on any of these plastic abominations!

:lol: i hear you. that is kind of what i meant when I said several posts ago the vespa gts was the only game in town in that size range. The other maxi's might be nice quality and all, but I like to get giddy when I see my bike and not have to approach with a blindfold or something. This is not to say that people w/Buicks don't get excited about their rides- I am sure they do.

Vespa is in serious need of competition in maxi category. Should this Genuine come to fruition, I just hope they don't make it stupid huge and tall. You still want to look like a scooter. So yeah, PeterC, I was you a year ago: obsessing, wishing, full of hope, stashing pennies for a dream. Now I have finally moved on and found some peace.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Don’t fight it, join in the metal crew-
Will not get the new Genuine Scooter

I got a Super 300!!!
Gotta Gotta tell peoples ------- very exciting for me.
Just got my new Super 300, it has a total of 14 miles on it and I haven’t even ridden it yet. Drove down to the dealer, paid for the scooter during a work brake (3 ½ hour downtime, scheduling conflicts, so I didn’t need to be there) a scooter mechanic followed me home, me in the car, he on my new BEAUTIFUL scooter. He looked really cool on it; I hope I look half that cool.
Worked long into this evening, another long day tomorrow so I’m not sure when I can get a picture of the new machine, but, they will be posted very soon.
The mechanic test rode my Buddy when he came to the house and really wanted to buy it, but, he had no cash.
Killer Bunny (my Buddy 125) is for sale, $1,000.00 – will post on this with pics, when I get the time.
sorry no more hijack
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

rajron wrote:Don’t fight it, join in the metal crew-
Will not get the new Genuine Scooter

I got a Super 300!!!
Gotta Gotta tell peoples ------- very exciting for me.
Just got my new Super 300, it has a total of 14 miles on it and I haven’t even ridden it yet. Drove down to the dealer, paid for the scooter during a work brake (3 ½ hour downtime, scheduling conflicts, so I didn’t need to be there) a scooter mechanic followed me home, me in the car, he on my new BEAUTIFUL scooter. He looked really cool on it; I hope I look half that cool.
Worked long into this evening, another long day tomorrow so I’m not sure when I can get a picture of the new machine, but, they will be posted very soon.
The mechanic test rode my Buddy when he came to the house and really wanted to buy it, but, he had no cash.
Killer Bunny (my Buddy 125) is for sale, $1,000.00 – will post on this with pics, when I get the time.
sorry no more hijack
Congrats rajron!!! That is one sweet ride! I can see why you are soooo excited! Time for a road trip me thinks!!! :)

Roose Hurro

Skin-tight Jeans...

Post by Roose Hurro »

PeterC wrote:Okay, I'm resigned to the new Genuine Classic Cruiser being a 4-stroke, because some people's delicate sensibilities are offended by the perfume of 2-stroke smoke, but please give us the option of shifting like grown-ups or CVT, and please, Genuine, make it look like one of the classics of the 1960s, and not another 2-wheeled Buick like the Burgman, Majesty, Silverwing, BV, X9, etc., ad nauseam. Persons of taste would not want their friends to see them on any of these plastic abominations!
I'd just like to see a larger-engined scoot on a smaller frame, even if it meant losing underseat storage space. You know, design the drivetrain, then WRAP to scoot's bodywork around it...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Roose Hurro wrote:
"I'd just like to see a larger-engined scoot on a smaller frame, even if it meant losing underseat storage space. You know, design the drivetrain, then WRAP to scoot's bodywork around it..."

Exactly! Who ever heard of a classic Vespa or Lambretta with underseat storage? You bought your basic scooter and attached the accessories you wanted. No underseat storage, cup holders or bud vases, thank you!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I am in some agreement. I like a bit of storage but this over the top size thing to accomadate for this is nonsense. Think how many people buy big ugly things just so they can put stuff in them? Big ugly houses to fit big ugly cars...and so on. I would rather have something a bit smaller with a little style and grace than something that is best decribed as having "plenty of storage". rant over.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

peabody99 wrote:I agree crash bars don't make practical sense on plastic scooter.
I've been told the crash bars aren't there to protect the plastic, but the engine which lives underneath the readily-busted plastic. Folks from Philadelphia Scooters have claimed that the crash bars do their job well.
ModBud #442
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

PeterC wrote:Roose Hurro wrote:
"I'd just like to see a larger-engined scoot on a smaller frame, even if it meant losing underseat storage space. You know, design the drivetrain, then WRAP to scoot's bodywork around it..."

Exactly! Who ever heard of a classic Vespa or Lambretta with underseat storage? You bought your basic scooter and attached the accessories you wanted. No underseat storage, cup holders or bud vases, thank you!
Not to mention, with that pet carrier space being used for bigger engine/more fuel...

I can always add side-cases/saddlebags/front/rear rack/topbox/frontbox when needed, not to mention a legshield glovebox to go with the curry and helmet hooks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
chloefpuff

update on cruiser

Post by chloefpuff »

I ran into my local dealer (haha) at the mall today. He had a space in the hall with a Buddy, a Madass, and pink Vespa. I asked about the cruiser. He said that he knew about a couple of new models that are in the pipeline. He doesn't think the cruiser is due for 2010 because he would've seen it by now, and he hasn't. He would neither confirm nor deny the possibility of the cruiser.
so tough, so pink
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I haven't heard either way.

I do know that all of Genuine's models except the Stella 4T and the cruiser have passed CARB emissions testing in CA. The Stella was submited for testing. AFAIK the cruiser has not been. If the cruiser does come in 2010 it may be a mid or late-year model.

As I've said, it will be very tough for any company to launch new models in 2010, esp. with so much '09 stock on dealer floors.
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

Are there other scooters, worldwide that might be introduced for 2010? Perhaps we can use that as a viable proxy.

Let's face it: Genuine isn't so much of a manufacturer as they are a distributor. They do not manufacture anything of their own--after all, aren't Genuine products essentially rebaged LML or PGO scooters surrounded by a good healthy dose of marketing?
Update: "Bought the motorcycle, still have the Blackjack... wife wants me to sell Blackjack..."

mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

pyrocpu wrote:Are there other scooters, worldwide that might be introduced for 2010? Perhaps we can use that as a viable proxy.

Let's face it: Genuine isn't so much of a manufacturer as they are a distributor. They do not manufacture anything of their own--after all, aren't Genuine products essentially rebaged LML or PGO scooters surrounded by a good healthy dose of marketing?
Yes. Genuine is brilliant at marketing their "products" and tailoring proven products to suit their needs and their clients' tastes...No easy task. Building a better mousetrap is only half the battle in business....going to market with it (successfully) is the rest of the equation. That seems to beem GSC's strength.

Without Genuine there would be NO LML or PGO products on these American shores...with that said, they are the American marketing division of those two manufacturers neither of which would have any presence here without the efforts of GSC.

Marketing is the key...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pyrocpu wrote:Are there other scooters, worldwide that might be introduced for 2010? Perhaps we can use that as a viable proxy.
Yes, other manufacturers are releasing new scoots for 2010. But there's a big difference between some of these global companies like Kymco and Genuine.
pyrocpu wrote:Let's face it: Genuine isn't so much of a manufacturer as they are a distributor. They do not manufacture anything of their own--after all, aren't Genuine products essentially rebaged LML or PGO scooters surrounded by a good healthy dose of marketing?
This was previously true but no longer. The cruiser we're discussing here was designed wholly by Genuine to be built by PGO. (It may actually use an engine from another make as well.) It's a big step for Genuine because for the first time they are taking the role of creating their own scooter from the ground up.

I know they also have a hand in steering the development of a lot of the newer PGO models as well as the LML Star 4T, aka 4T Stella.

Part of this comes from their marketing clout and understanding of the markets in the US and Europe (i.e., beyond Asia). Their success has enabled them to become more active with their partners to the extent where they've created a model (the cruiser) which PGO will build and distribute globally.
scooterstud

Post by scooterstud »

So its been almost a year, any new word on this bike for 2011 or beyond? Is this project even still alive at Genuine?
TVB

Post by TVB »

peabody99 wrote:I would rather have something a bit smaller with a little style and grace than something that is best decribed as having "plenty of storage".
So I'm guessing there isn't a Yamaha C3 in your future? :)
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

TVB wrote:
peabody99 wrote:I would rather have something a bit smaller with a little style and grace than something that is best decribed as having "plenty of storage".
That almost falls into the realm of it is so $hiteous its fablulous. Note I say "almost"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

scooterstud wrote:So its been almost a year, any new word on this bike for 2011 or beyond? Is this project even still alive at Genuine?
Project is alive, but after the past year for the scooter industry and Genuine, we're unsure of when the scooter will be released.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

peabody99 wrote:
TVB wrote:
That almost falls into the realm of it is so $hiteous its fablulous. Note I say "almost"
I love the C3, if I had room for another 50 I'd really think about picking one up. Really wish they made them with larger engines, If they'd of had a 125 or 150cc C3 I might not have my sh150 right now depending of course on the price.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid