Wreck on Day 1

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ElCid

Wreck on Day 1

Post by ElCid »

I've been riding a Roughhouse (my first real scoot) for about a year, and naturally consider myself a pro. When I got a line on a Buddy 125 for $900, I knew the time to upgrade had arrived (it was pink, which explains part of the discount).

I picked it up last night and delivered it to my local shop for a checkup and oil change this morning. Everything checked out, and a few miles into my ride home, I changed lanes at speed on cruddy Atlanta roads. My Roughhouse could handle that kind of maneuver WOT, but I guess the Buddy will require more refined throttle management.

I'm fine, and the bike is fine. The worst part is that I was wearing my favorite pair of shorts.

Here's hoping that chicks dig scars.
Attachments
Shorts.jpg
Shorts.jpg (51.32 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
Knee.jpg
Knee.jpg (33.82 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
Hand.jpg
Hand.jpg (40.29 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
Elbow.jpg
Elbow.jpg (36.22 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
Ankle.jpg
Ankle.jpg (44.69 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Well throw on another pair of shorts and get back on the horse! :)

When you're ready, of course. And scars are manly to some women, I would imagine It shows you were wearing shorts while riding. What could be more manly? :nerd:
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

And a pink scooter, too?

You'll have to beat 'em off with a stick! :P
Riding is riding
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was lucky enough to wipe out right in front of another scooter/motorcycle mechanic (they're good guys, which makes me think they don't purposely bust up the roads in front of the shop), so I'll be back on the horse tomorrow.

In the 10 or so miles I put on the bike today, I got numerous comments from women. This could turn into a beautiful thing.
skipper20

Re: Wreck on Day 1

Post by skipper20 »

ElCid wrote:I've been riding a Roughhouse (my first real scoot) for about a year, and naturally consider myself a pro. When I got a line on a Buddy 125 for $900, I knew the time to upgrade had arrived (it was pink, which explains part of the discount).

I picked it up last night and delivered it to my local shop for a checkup and oil change this morning. Everything checked out, and a few miles into my ride home, I changed lanes at speed on cruddy Atlanta roads. My Roughhouse could handle that kind of maneuver WOT, but I guess the Buddy will require more refined throttle management.

I'm fine, and the bike is fine. The worst part is that I was wearing my favorite pair of shorts.

I'm glad to hear that you're OK but no gloves? That must have hurt!

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
gar1013

Post by gar1013 »

Looks like you made it through as best as can be expected given what you were wearing at the time.

Throw some bactine on it, and get back on the bike.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

ElCid wrote:Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was lucky enough to wipe out right in front of another scooter/motorcycle mechanic (they're good guys, which makes me think they don't purposely bust up the roads in front of the shop), so I'll be back on the horse tomorrow.

In the 10 or so miles I put on the bike today, I got numerous comments from women. This could turn into a beautiful thing.
hmm...it could, indeed

*note to self: paint Blackjack pink
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

gar1013 wrote:Looks like you made it through as best as can be expected given what you were wearing at the time.

Throw some bactine on it, and get back on the bike.
you know what works good on road rash? some of that brown stuff they swab you with in hospitals. its this stuff. it will keep it free of bacteria and helps it heal faster :)

Riding is riding
Syd

Post by Syd »

JHScoot wrote:
ElCid wrote:Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was lucky enough to wipe out right in front of another scooter/motorcycle mechanic (they're good guys, which makes me think they don't purposely bust up the roads in front of the shop), so I'll be back on the horse tomorrow.

hmm...it could, indeed

*note to self: paint Blackjack pink
BoneGirl beat you to it.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

drats! foiled by BG, same as others. she is quite the trailblazer :shock:

speaking of BG however, last i read her BJ bit the dust at 34,000 miles (vibration / steering issue) and i haven't read much by her since? any info, anyone?

i wonder if she got a new scoot, or the old finally fixed? that 'gal can stack up the miles, thats for sure
Riding is riding
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

She just turned 40,000 miles: viewtopic.php?p=318816#318805

Ain't that something?
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

holy cow that is awesome. another 40,000 mile Buddy for BG!

guess she got it up and goin'. good stuff :)
Riding is riding
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

gotta stay on topic

heal up well, shorts guy. get some of that brown stuff :)
Riding is riding
skully93

Re: Wreck on Day 1

Post by skully93 »

ElCid wrote:I'm fine, and the bike is fine. The worst part is that I was wearing my favorite pair of shorts.

Glad to hear it. Be careful out there :P.

BoneGirl...

40k on the 2nd scoot...I need to catch up! in 18 months I'm only at like 15k on the fleet total!
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Thanks guys. I'll have to look hard at protective gear going forward. Let me serve as a cautionary tale to those who don't wrap up. It's not fun going down.

This is going to hurt in the morning when the bourbon wears off.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

it honestly will hurt more. some swelling in the joints and tightening of skin in that area from the swelling, of course. which doesn't feel nice combined with road rash. so hopefully your elbows and knees were spared some

and all kidding aside up top about the shorts, at least some jeans even on a hot day. you are not keeping cool much in shorts tbh. good as it must feel to have a nice wind going through the crotch region :P

i can only say the one time i went down, similar to you, i was wearing jeans and they worked. not a tear on them, and i hit hard. now some abrasions did occur, and of course bruising and swelling. but my skin was spared much damage, no doubt

and in all seriousness, hope you do heal fast and get back on as soon as ready :wink:
Last edited by JHScoot on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riding is riding
gar1013

Post by gar1013 »

ElCid wrote:Thanks guys. I'll have to look hard at protective gear going forward. Let me serve as a cautionary tale to those who don't wrap up. It's not fun going down.

This is going to hurt in the morning when the bourbon wears off.
That's what tequila is for.

But seriously, glad that you're looking at protective gear -- sometimes having the proper gear can prevent going down in the first place, which is the best possible outcome.
JHScoot wrote:i can only say the one time i went down, similar to you, i was wearing jeans and they worked. not a tear on them, and i hit hard. now some abrasions did occur, and of course bruising and swelling. but my skin was spared much damage, no doubt
Yup. Jeans can survive a low speed crash if you don't slide very far. The closer you get to freeway speeds, the more likely they are to wear through. You will still get some rash through the jeans -- when I got hit by a car crossing the street, the limited amount of sliding I did after the car stopped and I flew through the air was enough to give me a decent sized rash on my knee. My jeans were unscathed, though.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Every time I read one of these, I'm glad that I stubbornly wear jeans, boots, FF helmet and gloves every time I ride. I go without the jacket sometimes and I know it's a calculated risk. Just too damn hot sometimes; even with mesh.

Heal up well and good luck on Pinky 8) !

Regarding jeans, read this if you dare. Has a few rough pics.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
gar1013

Post by gar1013 »

Tocsik wrote:
Regarding jeans, read this if you dare. Has a few rough pics.

*VOMIT*

I had seen that previously, but had forgotten.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Sorry, ElCid, that you went down. Glad the rash is all that happened. Tocsic
makes the point excellently. If you are going to ride dress appropriately.
If you dont and you go down you will leave a greasy spot on the highway
like a slow possum meeting a fast Semi. :(
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Hands often hit the pavement first....always wear gloves, but you know that now.
Never shorts and always long sleeves and leather footwear.

Leave the dangerous behavior to the Harley people who think a backwards baseball cap will protect their brains, or whatever is in that space.
gar1013

Post by gar1013 »

Beamster wrote:Hands often hit the pavement first....always wear gloves, but you know that now.
Never shorts and always long sleeves and leather footwear.

Leave the dangerous behavior to the Harley people who think a backwards baseball cap will protect their brains, or whatever is in that space.
Yup, or these guys....

EDIT: Tip of the day -- do NOT search for "sportbike flip-flops" on Google Image Search. *VOMIT*
TVB

Post by TVB »

I won't even get on a bicycle without at least a helmet and gloves of some kind.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Sorry for your wreck and hope you heal up quick.

Safety gear is a personal choice. I see this thread degrading into the self appointed safety police on patrol.

Yes..there are a few people that need to learn, most get their education from the "who's crashed" thread.

What people wear and what risks they decide to take is their business (within the local laws) not mine.

And can we please stop bashing Harley riders...I know a lot of them and they are good people. They make their decisions just as the OP...a Buddy rider...made his.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Sorry about the wreck, hope you're up and running soon. Gotta take notice, those tires on the buddy are much skinnier than the ones on the Roughhouse, so you've got less grip but more power.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

BuddyRaton wrote:Sorry for your wreck and hope you heal up quick.

Safety gear is a personal choice. I see this thread degrading into the self appointed safety police on patrol.

Yes..there are a few people that need to learn, most get their education from the "who's crashed" thread.

What people wear and what risks they decide to take is their business (within the local laws) not mine.

And can we please stop bashing Harley riders...I know a lot of them and they are good people. They make their decisions just as the OP...a Buddy rider...made his.
This. And if anyone needs a refresher, here are our Posting Guidelines.
gar1013

Post by gar1013 »

BuddyRaton wrote:Safety gear is a personal choice. I see this thread degrading into the self appointed safety police on patrol.

It certainly is a personal choice, but I'd posit that most people don't think they're going to crash -- especially newer riders. If you don't think you're going to crash, then the "who's crashed" thread isn't necessarily going to be something you're looking to read.

Put another way, if you thought you were going to be in a plane that was going to crash, you'd bring a parachute on board, or possibly not fly on that plane.

When you look at risk, there are two factors you consider: probability of the event, and severity of the event. For example, the UK has a high violent crime rate than the US does -- that's a fact. The severity of these violent crimes tend to be lower than in the US -- that's also a fact.

So what does that mean in terms of your risk? It means that if you go out drinking in England, you accept that there's a higher chance that someone might punch you, maybe even knife you than in the US, BUT it also means you're less likely to be murdered. Does that influence behavior - to a certain point, it certainly does.

Let's carry it over to the world of two wheels. If you consider things only on the basis of the numbers, if you choose to wear less gear than somebody else, it means that you are evaluating that either: your probability of a crash is lower, or you're ascribing a lower severity to a crash if it does occur.

Certainly, something could be said for some people having a lower probability of a crash than others. Experience, certain physical characteristics, the type of riding that you choose to do -- all these can impact your probability of a crash. There are also some factors that are beyond your control in determining the probability.

Regarding the severity of a crash, you also have some degree of control over it, as above, but also some of it remains out of your control. Most interestingly is the experience of people who do things like ski patrol: their observations are that the people who get hurt the worst aren't rank beginners, but rather those with more experience. Put another way, the severity of the crash has a somewhat inverse relationship to the probability of a crash.

Now, the real issue is this: people are HORRIBLE at evaluating risks. Positively horrible. We worry about terrorist attacks, plane crashes, getting hit by lightening, or getting killed by a home invasion robbery. Really and truly, one of the most dangerous things you can do is to get into an automobile and drive somewhere, but yet people do it everyday without even thinking about it. Since typically 90% of people would rate themselves as an above average driver, the disconnect between ability and reality, as well as the danger that automobiles pose, demonstrate that humans are crap when it comes to making informed decisions about risk.

It boils down to this fundamental question: if you knew that there was a real likelihood of crashing, and you knew exactly what would happen to you when you crashed, what (if anything) would you do to minimize those harms. The fact of the matter remains that people underestimate their potential for crashing, and they are often ignorant of what will happen to the human body if they do crash.
That's one way of thinking, and keeping one's opinion to oneself is an excellent way to avoid disagreement or debate, especially debate that degenerates into uncivil behavior -- many people lack the ability to debate an issue in a civil manner, especially when it comes to the internet.

That being said, let me put forth the counter argument: if you knew that a volcano was going to erupt, would you say that it's not your business if people evacuated or not? Doesn't there exist a certain obligation to at least present the information that you are privy to, so that people may make an informed decision? Furthermore, do you think it would impact that person's decision to know that you were the only person leaving the neighborhood OR that everyone including yourself was leaving the neighborhood?
Oh, there's certainly nothing wrong with people who ride HDs as people. I used to ride one, and got it out of my system as not being the right bike for me, but for others it's the perfect bike.

That being said, the world of HD riders is RIFE with misinformation regarding basic safety -- I've seen everything from people saying that you shouldn't use your front break, that you have to "lay it down" in a crash (rubber = better stopping power than chrome), that helmet CAUSE accidents and injury, etc, etc.

So do they make their own decisions? Certainly. Is it in the presence of scientific and actuarial data? Not particularly.

What are we left with? I think a reasonable standard is that if someone asks for input, you should be completely honest, both in your advice and to how well you practice what you preach. If someone has suffered as the result of their decisions, you should be compassionate and sympathetic, whilst offering them constructive advice to minimize the chances that they will suffer again in the future. Should someone mention that they are doing something that could potentially harm them, a gentle warning and guidance isn't necessarily a bad thing. Most importantly for any of the above is to do it in a tone that demonstrates a sincere concern for the wellbeing of others. Using humor and hyperbole isn't necessarily a bad way to get your point across, so long as you balance it out with a sober discussion of the issues.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

The OP did not ask for any advice. The OP posted info on a wreck, photos of injuries, hope that scars will get chicks (they don't) and that he was pissed he tore his shorts.

No request for advice.

And yeah...especially inside MB...what other people decide to gear up with (or not) is none of my business.

I have heard every excuse, explanation, reason, argument etc etc on why people don't wear whatever, and I have heard why I should not wear FF helmet, boots, aromred jacket and pants, and gloves. Why I they are only needed for low speed why they are needed for high speed, why they are needed during sex. I'm done arguing.

I don't care anymore....I wear the level of safety equipment I feel comfortable with

For those that did not read the Posting Guidelines

GENERAL BEHAVIOR
The purpose of Modern Buddy is to inform, educate, entertain and bring us together as a community. This is a forum where scooterists of all ranges of experience, backgrounds and knowledge levels could come and discuss things without feeling intimidated or assaulted by the hostility often found elsewhere. Be civil to one another. Treat everyone with respect. Keep it friendly and remember that not everyone shares your particular viewpoint, nor should anyone be ridiculed or patronized for not believing or behaving exactly as you do.

This is especially true in discussions of helmet and gear use. It's okay to share facts and personal anecdotes, but please refrain from criticizing others, preaching to them, or using rhetoric ("I wear a full face because I like my face," etc.) in the forum. This type of language does little to sway others who decide to assume the additional risks of wearing less gear. Though Modern Buddy encourages use of proper riding gear and helmets, we have no official policy other than not condemning others for the decisions they make regarding what they wear.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
gar1013

Post by gar1013 »

BuddyRaton wrote:The OP did not ask for any advice. The OP posted info on a wreck, photos of injuries, hope that scars will get chicks (they don't) and that he was pissed he tore his shorts.

No request for advice.
First off, I have to disagree with you somewhat on the assertion that scars don't get chicks -- I turned getting hit by a car in a crosswalk into a 2 year relationship that was a magnificant trainwreck. :D

So El Cid didn't get any lectures from people about his choices. What did occur was that this was posted:
ElCid wrote:Thanks guys. I'll have to look hard at protective gear going forward. Let me serve as a cautionary tale to those who don't wrap up. It's not fun going down.
Given that the OP is planning to look at protective gear, some people actually posted some rather useful (if not disgusting) links and general information. Nobody was attacking him or giving him the "I told you so", but rather much of what was posted was along the lines of "if you are going to get protective gear, some stuff works better than others".

Tocsik shared that he wore jeans, and within the same post pointed out that his own decision here was not without risk -- really a role model of sorts because there's little doubt in the minds of those who followed the link that he knows exactly what is at stake, and is attempting to strike the balance that is right for him.

I'll fully grant you that perhaps Wolfhound's comments weren't particularly helpful, in that "a greasy spot on the highway" does little to advance knowledge or information. I'll also grant you that Beamster's comment started out as incredibly useful regarding the role that hands often play in an accident, before becoming less useful in terms of the dig at HD riders. (Wolfhound & Beamster - no disrepect intended)

In fact, not knowing my sense of humor, you could even be inclined to assume my photo of the guy crashing on a sportbike with inadequate gear for what is about to happen is being preachy....BUT, actually, it was a subtle dig at the assumption that HD riders are somehow unique in terms of not wearing safety gear. Given that sportbike riders are regularly seen, at least in my part of the country, in full Power Ranger regalia as well as in shorts and flip flops, they represent the true range of the spectrum. In fact, the only riders who seem to be 100% geared up are BMW riders -- everyone else falls somewhere in between. Regardless, the point of the photo was it's not just HD riders that choose not to wear gear -- and perhaps that going too fast around a corner with a passenger whilst crossing a double yellow line is perhaps not compatible with life.
I'm done arguing.
And there's not really much arguing going on here. If the OP said, "Chicks are digging my scars so much, I'm going to ride naked, so STFU", I doubt you would have seen a single comment regarding gear or lack there off. Perhaps some jokes about scabs in places best not thought off, but that's about it.
Keep it friendly and remember that not everyone shares your particular viewpoint, nor should anyone be ridiculed or patronized for not believing or behaving exactly as you do.
I think collectively everyone has done a pretty good job here - not perfect, but certainly there doesn't appear to have been any hostility expressed towards anyone here. Let me know if you're inclined to disagree on this. I mean, I feel no hostility towards anyone in this thread, I haven't picked up on any hostility directed at others...
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

but please refrain from criticizing others, preaching to them, or using rhetoric
www.teamscootertrash.com

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

BuddyRaton wrote:but please refrain from criticizing others, preaching to them, or using rhetoric
Ahhh, :?
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

kettles. always calling the pots black :roll:

wonder how op is doing? road rash, day 3 :(
Riding is riding
gar1013

Post by gar1013 »

JHScoot wrote:kettles. always calling the pots black :roll:

I'd imagine quite scabby.

I was going to post something relating to what rhetoric actually means (as opposed to what may be meant by the terms of use), but I'm on an iPhone, which means it'd take far too long to be worth it. :)
jd

Post by jd »

In case anyone is interested in getting some protective gear at reasonable prices, my wife (also a Buddy 125 operator) and I just purchased a couple of riding jackets from Jafram.com at great close out prices and had a chance to wear them last weekend on a 425 mile riding loop. We loved them! The jackets are mesh in-between all the armor and were extremely cool, even in hot, humid weather. We also picked up some armored gloves from Amazon.com for about $10 a pair. They're also comfortable and cool.

I'll probably never ride unprotected again after realizing how NOT uncomfortable this stuff is. Although I've yet to take a fall, after more than 15,000 miles of riding over the years, I don't want to wait until I get injured to decide it's time to do something about it. I don't heal as quickly as I used to! LOL!

jd
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
gar1013

Post by gar1013 »

Yeah, the mesh stuff is barely noticeable. You don't look cool wearing it, but I've never considered myself cool (nor has anybody else besides my toddler), so it works for me.

I do have some concerns about how sturdy it is, but anything short of an aero stitch suit or full on kangaroo racing leathers is always going to have some compromises built in.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I racked up my 3rd drop in the years that I have been riding yesterday.
Riding a TGB 150 Del I dropped it going into a friends drive doing about 2 mph..Hit a touch of sand and just laid it down pinning my leg under it. Did
not hurt the scoot, scratched my leg slightly, did a lot of damage to my pride! :oops: I was wearing my usual protective gear. The point I am making here is that you can drop one at any speed or be hit at any speed so it pays to
dress appropriately when riding. :!:
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

gar1013 wrote:
JHScoot wrote:kettles. always calling the pots black :roll:

I'd imagine quite scabby.

I was going to post something relating to what rhetoric actually means (as opposed to what may be meant by the terms of use), but I'm on an iPhone, which means it'd take far too long to be worth it. :)
Scabby sums it up pretty well. My hand is the most annoying, as it is constantly being aggravated. Gloves are a must going forward.

Just a note, I do appreciate the above advice. I'm a complete scooting neophyte compared to most of you, and I'm grateful for the help and admonitions.
Rob

Post by Rob »

BuddyRaton wrote:What people wear and what risks they decide to take is their business (within the local laws) not mine.

:clap: I couldn't agree more.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright