Cheap A$$ Camera Mount

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rsrider

Cheap A$$ Camera Mount

Post by rsrider »

I iza cheap bastardo and so here iz my solution to a camera mount for the Buddy.

4" 90 degree brace, #6 100mm screw, 3 #6 washers (regular, not thin), 1 #6 lock washer (importante'), and a camera screw mount (you can pull one off a tripod or like me, use the one that came with your motorcycle camera mount if you have one).

You're going to have to bend the brace/bracket thingy to get the camera even with the road. I put the thing underneath my foot and applied pressure until it bent to my WILL!

You'll use the washers to shim it out away from the plastics, using the lock washer either at the brace or at the scooter body. I chose the brace. So it goes, 3 washers, 1 lock washer, brace/bracket, and then screw.

I used my flip, cause it was handy, and my Samsung HD camcorder has proprietary software that absolutely sucks azz and I haven't used it since I bought it.....$400 down the fracking tubes on that one.

I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST A CAMCORDER WITH IMAGE STABILIZATION!

WARNING! Seizure inducing video below, click at your own risk.

Miguelito cyn on the Buddy 50. I thrashed the little beasty on this goat road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGKM-um7ysE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DABxZbNpyw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhowKKc5DnU

If you're on a fairly smooth stretch of pavement, and have a camcorder with image stabilization, this do it yourself camera mount should serve your purposes. Total cost: $1.15 + whatever the camera screw mount might cost.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

You liken the flip. I have been looking into one. Love the mount, ghetto fab.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

bigbropgo wrote:You liken the flip. I have been looking into one. Love the mount, ghetto fab.
Nice! I'm all for the inventive (and cheap) DIY solutions. How do you turn the camera on and off when riding?

Vibration is always one of the biggest problems with riding videos and any type of camera mount. Unfortunately most of the handheld cameras like the Flip don't come with this feature—yet.

I bought a RAM mount for a camera and it worked great if not for the vibration. I tried all kinds of rubber grommets, foam padding and other tricks to stabilize it but as long as the camera was mounted securely enough not to move around, it would shake.

The most stable way to mount a camera like this while riding is to mount it to your body somehow. You absorb much of the vibration yourself. I rigged a pouch to the strap of my messenger bag (actually the popular tactical bail out bag) and it works better than anything else—as long as I can get it aimed right. Much of the time I don't actually use the video but use it for stills of group rides. Works pretty well.

For those looking at cheap handheld video cameras, I really like my Kodak Zi6. HD video and unlike the Flip, uses SD cards and rechargeable AA batteries so has limitless storage and battery life (as long as you have another card and more batteries!). The big issue with it is that the video can distort a little when in motion—some kind of lag or delay. It's usually not noticeable during ride videos. More so when I'm sitting still and move the camera quickly.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

I bought kodak's zi8, but haven't mount it yet.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Jackie F wrote:I bought kodak's zi8, but haven't mount it yet.
The Zi8 has stabilization. (Dang, I just HAD to have a camera earlier this summer. Got mine cheap, though.) I'm eager to see how well it works!

Hm, wonder how well this Kodak adventure mount works…
Or this similar Flip one…
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
michelle_7728

Cheap A$$ camera mount

Post by michelle_7728 »

Pretty slick, and good pix!

Thanks for sharing. :)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I'm really liking the roads you're on in the videos. They look like a blast to ride.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Nice! I'm all for the inventive (and cheap) DIY solutions. How do you turn the camera on and off when riding?
You have to stop. Turning it off and on while riding is doable, but not recommended.

The main problem with the scooter + camera is the suspension. I have a fixed camera mount for both my motorcycles that attaches to the tank, and it works pretty good because the MC's have suspension that actually works. :lol: I don't know how many times I bottomed out the suspension on the Buddy while riding that road.......I'm just hoping I didn't completely frag it.

I do like the Flip, and I got mine for like $70 on WOOT! about a year ago. It works well for the quick and easy shots. Yes the lack of storage is a bit of a drag, but I haven't run into the problem of needing more storage yet.

Helmet cams are always an alternative, but I'm cheap and I'm not going to go buy another cam just to take a vid of me riding around on the scoot. Just say no to excessive gadgetry.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

ericalm wrote: Hm, wonder how well this Kodak adventure mount works…
I've been tempted in getting it. Maybe add some super velcro to it?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Jackie F wrote:
ericalm wrote: Hm, wonder how well this Kodak adventure mount works…
I've been tempted in getting it. Maybe add some super velcro to it?
I use industrial Velcro to hold a toolbag to the door of the glovebox for my Vespa and it works great. Those tools are much heavier than any of these cameras. The strap is cheap enough that I'd consider one just to check it out.
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:Vibration is always one of the biggest problems with riding videos and any type of camera mount.
In this case it isn't just the vibration, but the frame rate of the video not being able to keep up with it. That makes the objects in the image appear to stretch and compress with each frame, which adds to the nausea of watching it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TVB wrote:
ericalm wrote:Vibration is always one of the biggest problems with riding videos and any type of camera mount.
In this case it isn't just the vibration, but the frame rate of the video not being able to keep up with it. That makes the objects in the image appear to stretch and compress with each frame, which adds to the nausea of watching it.
Interesting. I use 30-fps, but the Zi6 has a 60fps mode that I haven't tried (hogs memory). Maybe I'll play with it and see if it helps!
amy

Post by amy »

Go Pro.

Eric is right - the best is to mount it on your bod. I, too, fashioned a messenger bag/iPhone arm band thing for my phone and it was ok.

But now I have a GoPro.
The suction cup mount for it does not work well on the Buddy because I have not found a satisfactory flat surface to suction it to. The top case shakes too much, so I just use the chest mount now.

Results so far (viewable in 720p too for faster connections)
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL45BDC83025792A1C
amy

Post by amy »

I just posted this in another thread, but figured I'd post it here, too.

Here's my GoPro update...

Chestmount: I have been using the chest mount for my GoPro. You get a cute/nice view of the Buddy "dashboard" and the road in front of you. It works great and is easy to reach the buttons, but you know how tricky the buttons can be to press - especially with gloves on. TODAAAAY I bought the new Wi-Fi/Remote BacPac, so I am really excited to use it (the remote attaches to your wrist). Here are some examples of GoPro use from our club (we have a couple of cams in our club):

A section of Hwy 41 coming back from Blue vs. Grey
HD: http://youtu.be/Db4D6oqr71I?hd=1
Low res: http://youtu.be/Db4D6oqr71I

Our camping trip (some shots from my chest mount, some from a front mounted Vespa)
HD: http://youtu.be/fIIy-Lf4liA?hd=1
Low res: http://youtu.be/fIIy-Lf4liA

Last Halloween when we were in the Little Five Points Parade
HD: http://youtu.be/5mpByjvJZ30
Low res: http://youtu.be/5mpByjvJZ30?hd=1

I tried the suction cup mount, but it needs a VERY flat surface and the only close-to-flat surface on my Buddy is on the top-case. I tried it there and it was far too bouncey and fell off.

I want to try a curved mount for a lower angle that would have the front tire in the frame but don't want to damage my Buddy. I was thinking about trying to make some velcro/strap/mod thing to attach to the kickstand or something...any suggestions? [/url]

EDIT: The thing about helmet mounts is that it seems like my eyes are drawn downward to see the road instead of outward to see the scenery/action. Is it just me?
Last edited by amy on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I use the suction cup on the side of the front shield of my Buddy. Fits great and gives a great view.

Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO5AQQuo ... ature=plcp

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Howardr wrote:I use the suction cup on the side of the front shield of my Buddy. Fits great and gives a great view.

Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO5AQQuo ... ature=plcp

Howard
Huh? It's attached to your helmet.

I usually pull over and wait about 15 minutes if I get behind a big bus or RV like that (and hope another doesn't come along). Then I jump back on and get a good ride through the twisties before I catch up to them again. Then I pull over and wait again. But it looks like you were screwed that day. There was a lot of traffic both ways.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

amy wrote:Chestmount: I have been using the chest mount for my GoPro. You get a cute/nice view of the Buddy "dashboard" and the road in front of you. It works great and is easy to reach the buttons, but you know how tricky the buttons can be to press - especially with gloves on. TODAAAAY I bought the new Wi-Fi/Remote BacPac, so I am really excited to use it (the remote attaches to your wrist).
These are great! The wide lens makes a huge difference. I wear my Kodak strapped to my chest but don't get such a nice, broad view with the scooter. These are also very smooth! Did you do any additional image stabilization or is this how it is straight from the camera?

Someday I'll have to get the Go Pro, I guess!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

ericalm wrote:
amy wrote:Chestmount: I have been using the chest mount for my GoPro. You get a cute/nice view of the Buddy "dashboard" and the road in front of you. It works great and is easy to reach the buttons, but you know how tricky the buttons can be to press - especially with gloves on. TODAAAAY I bought the new Wi-Fi/Remote BacPac, so I am really excited to use it (the remote attaches to your wrist).
These are great! The wide lens makes a huge difference. I wear my Kodak strapped to my chest but don't get such a nice, broad view with the scooter. These are also very smooth! Did you do any additional image stabilization or is this how it is straight from the camera?

I have a Samsung W200 that I velcro to a tactical vest creating a chest harness. But I noticed in Costco that there's a new Samsung W300 that has a wide angle view of 170 degrees.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

k1dude wrote:
ericalm wrote:

I have a Samsung W200 that I velcro to a tactical vest creating a chest harness. But I noticed in Costco that there's a new Samsung W300 that has a wide angle view of 170 degrees.
How's the image stabilization? That's the big problem I have with my several generations-old Kodak.

The handheld Kodaks are actually pretty damn good in most regards. Too bad the company is on its last leg.
amy

Post by amy »

Thanks! There is no image stabilization filter on these... the footage is straight from the camera! It's just stabilized from being on my body, so when I bounce, it bounces. I think it works very well!
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I'm very satisfied with my Ram Mount X-grip mounting device. It holds up extremely well in frequent use, including 300+ mile days and some bumpy roads. I've done timelapse video's as well as use it for GPS and mapping software. BTW, I'm working with an iPhone 4 in an otterbox defender case. One of the coolest features of the X-grip is that I can mount several different devices on the same bracket.

GoPro's are great, but there are a lot of good things you can do with the smartphone you already have. A buddy of mine has the GoPro 2, uses the adhesive mounts on several points of his 3 scooters and 1 MC, including headsets, touring cases, girlfriends helmet, and hanging below the topcase to point backwards. The adhesives are great, and I even put one on my headset for group rides. Can't go wrong with the 3M tape, just check it once in a while.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

amy wrote:Thanks! There is no image stabilization filter on these... the footage is straight from the camera! It's just stabilized from being on my body, so when I bounce, it bounces. I think it works very well!
That's how it works with me. My body absorbs most of the bounces, so it's not bad. I know if I mounted it to the scooter it would probably be a shakey mess.
amy

Post by amy »

Ok, so I mounted my GoPro on the kickstand and got kind of a neat result. Any thoughts about this angle?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/giggjJsul-w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
opposable_thumbs

Post by opposable_thumbs »

amy wrote:Ok, so I mounted my GoPro on the kickstand and got kind of a neat result. Any thoughts about this angle?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/giggjJsul-w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
LOVE IT! Great idea!
amy

Post by amy »

Thanks! I think if I can work out how to scoot it forward a little bit to eliminate some of the machinery (the black box thing) then it will be pretty cool!

It did hit a VERY tall speed bump at the end, so I'll have to test a little more to make sure I don't have a safety issue.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

that's a really good angle... brb sticking the suction cup mount to the bottom of the stella :lol:
amy

Post by amy »

Lokky wrote:that's a really good angle... brb sticking the suction cup mount to the bottom of the stella :lol:
Be sure to set the camera setting to upside down mode!
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

That was really neat. I especially liked how the road materials often seemed to "sparkle" as you went over them. The only concern I would have would be a rock thrown by your front tire breaking your camera, but maybe it's not typically in the path of that, unless you turn the wheel a certain way.
amy

Post by amy »

That's possible - that a rock would fly up - but it survived hitting the speed bump at the end, so I think its all good!

The GoPro case is highly durable :D
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Excellent idea amy. You need to do some twisties with it mounted like that.
issue31

How do i get to pictures?

Post by issue31 »

bigbropgo wrote:You liken the flip. I have been looking into one. Love the mount, ghetto fab.
issue31

can not see pictures

Post by issue31 »

Hi: I can not see pictures! All i get is pictures are uaavable. What can I do to see them?
amy

Re: can not see pictures

Post by amy »

issue31 wrote:Hi: I can not see pictures! All i get is pictures are uaavable. What can I do to see them?
I think those pictures have been removed, or the link is broken. I cannot see them either.
amy

Post by amy »

So I bought the RAM Mount Motorcycle Handlebar blahdiddyblah thing and mounted it horizontally on my kickstand. I then put my GoPro with tripod mount on it, and voila!

First angle (not crazy about it because you can't see the tire):
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9WeOdHNz0B4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Second angle (mount arm a little lower and angled forward):
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gird3TnYdQ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
SockyTX

Post by SockyTX »

my camera mount cost me about $6. This does not include the cost of my monopod or my mCam. I use the mCam Lite and my iPhone 4S to shoot my videos here is a quick video showing how I mount it and a little story about its durability.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SzBSDaQNEg0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
SockyTX
Hispanic Panic
amy

Post by amy »

Nice additions there Socky.
kymur

Post by kymur »

Dang the pictures went bad
Ride Ride Ride ~Kymur