Quadrophenia

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drum Pro

Quadrophenia

Post by Drum Pro »

Watching the movie again last night, for the millonth time, I was wondering if that many mirrors effect the handling of Jimmy's Lammy? Thoughts?
Last edited by Drum Pro on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

That's an interesting question! Those mirrors add frontal area to the bike, so they will definitely have an impact on top speed. I'd hazard a guess that they lower top speed by 2 MPH or so. Also, the wind drag caused by that same surface area will have a negative impact on his gas mileage, no doubt about it. However, the mirrors won't have much effect on "handling" per se because they're anchored to the legshield (hence, the body) of the scooter, rather than to the steering mechanism. If they were attached to the steering mechanism (like a fork-mounted windscreen on a motorcycle), they would definitely affect the steering by trying to cock into the wind like a weather-vane. This is why I've learned to hate fork-mounted bike screens. :evil:
Last edited by jrsjr on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Thanks for that Jrsjr. I didn't think of it in that way. Still looks ace though. (to me at least)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Drum Pro wrote:Thanks for that Jrsjr. I didn't think of it in that way. Still looks ace though. (to me at least)
Me, too!!! Always has. :twisted:
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

Can someone please explain the 1,000 mirrors and lights on the front of a scooter? I just might be too young I guess.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

It was a style thing that got outta hand. Kinda like kids 1 upping each other. The law changed in the 60's in England requiring all vehicals to have at least 1 mirror. The kids at the time went a bit overboard and started adding more than needed as a way to rebel. At least that what was told to me...
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Drum Pro wrote:It was a style thing that got outta hand. Kinda like kids 1 upping each other. The law changed in the 60's in England requiring all vehicals to have at least 1 mirror. The kids at the time went a bit overboard and started adding more than needed as a way to rebel. At least that what was told to me...
As in..".mirrors....your telling us we have to have mirrors....WE'LL SHOW YOU F***ING MIRRORS!!!!!!!!"
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

movie is overrated. best experienced on record
Riding is riding