brrrrr. powerx handguards?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

esk

brrrrr. powerx handguards?

Post by esk »

alas. once again this winter i've been avoiding even thinking about riding my buddy because of my miserably cold hands. it doesn't help that i don't wear leather, and that i have tiny ridiculous child-like hands - i've looked high and low for a passable winter glove for me, and they don't exist. anyhow, has anyone tried these powerx handguards & scooter mount on their buddy? does it look like they'd work? i don't like the sporty lines and the obnoxious logo ("POWERMADD"!), but at this point i'll try anything...

http://www.powermadd.com/products/PowerXScooter.html
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Here's some linky goodness just for you.

<a href="topic7335.html">Power Madd install on a Rattler</a> Very similar to a Buddy.

<a href="topic13945.html">Heated grip discussion on Buddy</a>

<a href="viewtopic.php?t=8766&start=250#177791">Breif discussion on a similar product</a> which you might like more.

I've been looking at this one for a while. Also, as long as you don't ride at high speeds constantly (wind will engage brake if you're going fast enough), you should look into scooter muffs or mittens. They go for pretty cheap and are a pretty good cheap solution. They look retarded, but your fingers don't really have self image issues, now do they?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

some on this forum has stated that the best piece of winter gear they use/own is a windshield. these would definitely deflect frigid air from freezing your hands.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

bigbropgo wrote:some on this forum has stated that the best piece of winter gear they use/own is a windshield. these would definitely deflect frigid air from freezing your hands.
Sadly, the windshield doesn't really do much of anything for the hands on the Buddy. Some other models have a deflector built into the aftermarket shields that deflect wind at the grips, but the buddy just isn't one of them. It's great for keeping your chest/core warmer, though.
esk

Post by esk »

ahh, thanks for the links. i've thought about muffs but i'm such a klutz i'm afraid they would interfere with my handling of the brake levers etc., and an electrical solution seems like overkill for my purposes. those shiny deflectors sure are pretty, though! hmmm.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

^^i'm with you, just sayin that warm layers and battery powered goodies are not the end of the road in cold weather gear. deflecting the cold air can work pretty good. whether it is for body (windshield), head, (FF helmet) or legs, (tucking them in a bit more on the ride).
Last edited by bigbropgo on Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I wish they made a Winter shield for the Buddy. As many cold weather commuters as we have, I'm sure if someone made it people would buy it.

Cold is tricky. My hands have always been the hardest body part to satisfy. Gloves just don't seem to cut it. Everything else I've found solutions for.

Let us know if you try any of the guards. The Power Madd stuff looks like it'd be the easiest to install on the Buddy (aside from the muffs/mitts).

The muffs get good reviews for warmness, I think that you'd just have to take a few rides in a more controlled environment (low traffic roads, parking lots, etc) to make sure you've still got a feel for the brakes. Chances are, you'll be fine. Muscle memory is a pretty kick-ass body function, so long as it's trained right in the first place.
esk

Post by esk »

yeah, hands are the worst. i don't often go on long rides, and it's rarely *super* cold in seattle, so i can make do with lots of layers for everything else.

the powermadd stuff does look pretty straightforward - i'll let you know if i try 'em.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

esk wrote:yeah, hands are the worst. i don't often go on long rides, and it's rarely *super* cold in seattle, so i can make do with lots of layers for everything else.

the powermadd stuff does look pretty straightforward - i'll let you know if i try 'em.
+1, hands can suck. I just put on heated grips, and they help a ton, but I'm still likely going to get mitts/handguards too. My hands can still get fridgid.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Thanks alot. Sure beats National Cycles at $89.99.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Those powerx handguards look very intriguing. I plan on riding throughout the winter in 20-30 degree temps and my ski gloves have been great but just need a little extra wind protection. The price of these are even more interesting than other options.

I'm curious too if anyone has tried these on a buddy yet. How good are they at deflecting wind? Not sure if that's their main purpose or if it's an aesthetic thing.
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club

PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

Thank you!! I have been thinking about adapting a pair off of a Suzuki DR. This is easier, cheaper and I can pick the color I want!!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

OK, so many of you think this is a good idea, someone make a "How-to" thread for the Buddy so I can put it in the FAQ or Tech section!

Go go go!
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

I am going to order a set of the PowerMadd shields.

Today I have been to several sites selling these and none of them make it clear
that when you buy the mounting kit, are you buying for left & right sides.

The info for the shields state that they are a pair -but not the mirror mount kit.

I used the 'contact us' form on their site and I'll add it here when I find out.

Even in NW Florida these would come in handy in Jan. and Feb.
Even with my Thinsulate gloves my hands are right out there catching the cold wind.
I can tolerate any other body-part being cold besides my hands. :(
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

Perkussion - Let us know what you find out please. I was thinking that the mirror adaptors look a lot like you could make them with some thin metal for next to nothing. However you'd need to purchase the complete package to get all the parts ($32).
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

PasadenaSue wrote:Perkussion - Let us know what you find out please..
Yes please.
When I first went to the website, I thought that the $20 price tag was for the mounts AND the guards. But that's not the case. So it's not as cheap as I first thought. Bummer. I can get mitts for $20 but would prefer deflectors. I'll wait to hear what perkussion has to say about them.
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Don't forget! If you're using the mirror mounts, the right side is reverse threaded. You've got no excuse to strip the threads, ya hear?!

Also, although the Power Madd site doesn't mention it, I'd sandwich the mount in some fender washers to ensure a good tight grip.
Drumwoulf

Re: brrrrr. powerx handguards?

Post by Drumwoulf »

esk wrote:alas. once again this winter i've been avoiding even thinking about riding my buddy because of my miserably cold hands. it doesn't help that i don't wear leather, and that i have tiny ridiculous child-like hands - i've looked high and low for a passable winter glove for me, and they don't exist. anyhow, has anyone tried these powerx handguards & scooter mount on their buddy? does it look like they'd work? i don't like the sporty lines and the obnoxious logo ("POWERMADD"!), but at this point i'll try anything...

http://www.powermadd.com/products/PowerXScooter.html
Have you tried JR Ballistic gloves? (-Preferably the ones w/o the plastic knuckle guards...) I have two pairs of these, and they are w/o doubt the warmest winter gloves I've ever had in 28 years of riding!

Oddly enough they're not even considered heavy-duty winter gloves but rather water-proof ones. A bit short on the gauntlet, but good enough, and they have a warm inner glove liner covered with a wind-proof outer shell that manages to keep my hands warm in damn cold weather! (And they're also lightweight enough to give good feel on the controls!)

-Funny thing is tho, they're really not all that water-proof; just moderately so... :lol:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

I've been looking at heated grips to go with the hand guards - and came across these: polly heaters. They get good reviews from Adventure rider, are cheap, and let me use my own grips (which I like). Anyone use these?

$30 beats $65+ in my book...

Otherwise I am thinking about Koso grpis, $57 and 5 levels of heat output.
ThinAir

Mitts Muffs

Post by ThinAir »

The advantages of Mitts/Muffs are several:
- They envelop the hand covering front, top, bottom, and sides thus blocking wind that buffets around the hand at all speeds
- They provide protection from rain as well as wind
- They keep the wind/rain from getting into your jacket sleeves
- They allow you to wear less bulky gloves. Bulky gloves can really inhibit access to the scooter controls.
- They are easily mounted and removed (most designs but not all)

Ours mount in seconds, literally. You just slip them over the grips and brake levers and velcro. That's it. Once it warms up/quits raining removing them is just as easy.
www.peakscooter.com - Lap Aprons, Handlebar Muffs/Mitts, Lighting, stuff for your ride.
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

They just replied to my question.
The scooter mount kit is for a pair, (left and right sides).
$16.96

The shields are also in pairs.
$16.96

Cheapest I could find is http://www.shopcheapcycleparts.com/prod ... isidaa8zz~

Expedited Shipping & Handling is a bit high.
Rush Shipping & Handling...?!?! :shock:

Estimated Shipping
Standard Shipping & Handling $11.21 (7-10 days)
Expedited Shipping & Handling $27.28 (4-5 days)
Rush Shipping & Handling $95.98 (2-3 days)

I think I'll stick with Standard Shipping.
ScooterQueenTucson

Handguards from Power Madd

Post by ScooterQueenTucson »

What do you think of the power madd handguards for keeping hands warmer on a scooter? I have a buddy 125 and just have a hard time keeping my fingers warm when riding in the winter.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Bump; watching this thread; want to find out how it works out and other inputs on the subject – I want to ride in cooler, for me, weather this year.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Someone use <a href="http://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=30">this install on an FJR</a> as inspiration. It'd need bar end weights on the Buddy, but everything else should match up. It looks like it installs on the mirror mounts, and those would need to be drilled out on this peice for the stems to go through and tighten down properly. Probably a creative use of some fender washers to hold the plastic in place without over-stressing it.

If I had the extra time and cash (I've spent way too much lately) I'd order up a set of these and install em. Probably won't look great, but really, who cares?
weezool

Post by weezool »

here are mineImage Image
rajron

Post by rajron »

weezool;
I’ve seen fly-screens before, but, man that’s a little bitty one there.
So, how do the PowerMadd hand guards work in the cooler weather? Do they keep your fingers warmer? They look like the model with a removable top guard
Everything looks great on your scooter
rajron

Post by rajron »

I’ve been following this thread with great interest because I wanted something to cover my exposed hands. The PowerMadd made several guards; this model, UPS just delivered, seemed to meet my needs, I devised my own mounting, using threaded rod, and attached it to my windscreen mount – when the weather gets warmer it will be easy for me to remove the guard, or I can remove the top shield (gray) allowing air to pass through the perforated area it covers.
I took the scooter for a quick blast, around 70 (real) mph and they worked as advertised, solid, no wind on my hands. My hands aren’t warm, but like a windscreen it keeps the cold blast off my body parts giving my gloves a chance to work. Still need a couple of final tweaks, it does not need to be as long as it is, so I’m going to cut about two inches off the narrow part then it should be even better.
Thanx for this thread
Attachments
Pre-final adjust.jpg
Pre-final adjust.jpg (54.76 KiB) Viewed 3382 times
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Excellent!

Can you give us some close-ups on your mounting solution?
weezool

Post by weezool »

LOOKS COOL ,I ALLWAYS WANTED TO KNOW WHAT THEY WOULD ON ANOTHER BIKE!!!! :lol: :lol: Image
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I have an 06 windshield that does cover the hands... it's nice, but not nearly enough for real cold.

I'll reiterate from other posts. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my heated gloves.

They're pricey, but I'm one of those tiny people whose hands are always cold (I have cloth gloves with the fingertips cut off to wear in my office to keep my hands warm while I type), and the Gerbing heated gloves have made riding in the teens for long stretches doable for me. Without them, I don't think I would have been able to get rid of my car.
Scooter Commuter
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

P.S. I also have tiny barely-large-enough-for-womens-XS hands. These gloves are really bulky on me, and I always love summer when I can switch out to the thin summer gloves, but the Gerbing XS does work for me.
Scooter Commuter
rajron

Post by rajron »

I went for a ride this morning, it was about 40°F, got a little warmer by the time I got back but it was cold for me, a fair weather rider. Three weeks ago I rode this same route, about 25 miles to the dam, but, it was 52°F. At the time I didn’t have my windscreen or the hand guards but I was wearing the same gear; this trip with the wind deflectors, it was much more comfortable than without them even though it was much colder today. I know it doesn’t look cold because we often have very clear skies but deserts do get very cold during winter.
I will never be a cold weather warrior; it’s against my persona, but with these protectors I have extended my riding further into the cold. Those that can tolerate the cold, and have the extra gear a windscreen and hand shields will only improve comfort.
Lostmycage;
Here are a couple of pics: I know its not a Buddy, and if I were to mount the hand shields on a Buddy I would do it differently, most likely attaching to the mirror mounts, making it an easier install.
I used ¼ X 20 threaded rods, insulated with some rubber tubing, brake line I think. Got some jam nuts, and star washers to attach the rod to the shield, then I just used hose clamps to attach to my windscreen mounts, the hose clamps are temporary looking but they served their purpose.
Looking at the pictures I realized the guards aren’t lined up with each other that will be easy to correct.

Attachment points:

Right side:

Left side:

esk

Re: brrrrr. powerx handguards?

Post by esk »

bump! i'm interested to see what you end up with, perkussion...
Drumwoulf wrote:Have you tried JR Ballistic gloves? (-Preferably the ones w/o the plastic knuckle guards...) I have two pairs of these, and they are w/o doubt the warmest winter gloves I've ever had in 28 years of riding!
hmm, all the joe rocket ballistic gloves i've seen have leather on the palms or knuckles somewhere. if i find a version that's all-synthetic i would definitely give them a try!
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

Got an email yesterday saying they just shipped out.
I'll keep you posted.
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

They attached quickly with no problems or alterations.

They actually do block enough of the wind to make a difference
-though I am wearing thinsulate winter riding gloves at the same time.

~second pic~

I have a windshield and the install worked out better because of it.
I was able to mount the metal bracket about an inch higher than if I didn't have a windshield.
(see top arrow).

If I didn't have that extra inch of height I think the shields would've partially covered over the turn signals.
(second arrow)

This could probably be avoided by just flipping the bracket over.

I really can ride longer in cold weather with these and even though I use mesh gloves in
the Summer, these would also deflect those giant bugs that occasionally smash into my hands.

The shields themselves are fairly thick plastic and should hold up for several years
barring a collision.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Those actually look good on your Buddy! Can you post a shot from further back?

Here's what I'm thinkin'....

Those could provide a really nice framework for handlebar muffs. Then, you could remove the muffs but leave the deflectors when the temps are a little more manageable.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Nice Perkussion!

Could you snap a pic of it from the back so folks can see the lever clearance?

I think a Muff that's designed to work with those would be absolutely brilliant.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Lostmycage wrote: I think a Muff that's designed to work with those would be absolutely brilliant.
FOUND IT!!!!! http://www.powermadd.com/products/Handg ... etSNO.html

It's on their website. We'll just need to adapt it for mirror stems and our DOT signals.

I think I'm going this route!

**oops. just saw it says it's for their Star Series Handguards. Maybe it can still work.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Thanks for the update and pics, Perkussion. I think I'm sold on these now. (Nice Gen-U-Bin ad in the background!)
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club

Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

SteMer wrote: (Nice Gen-U-Bin ad in the background!)
Thank you. :oops:
I believe they call it 'product placement' or 'shameless self-promotion'...

anyhow, some have asked for more pics from different angles:

oops more product placement.....

The brake lever clearance can be changed by bending the bracket
or by changing the angle before tightening.

You also have the option of using one of three bolt holes, (moves it more
to the left or right), so that also helps in the choice of shield position.

Pretty simple, functional and scooter-friendly in design.
They also look better than I though they would.

Tocsik, I agree that the shields would definitely be something that handlebar
muffs could easily attach to.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Excellent pics! Thanks for posting those. I think this is an excellent solution to stave off the bone chilling wind that riders get this time of year. And you're completely right, they look a lot better than I would have suspected.

Also, I saw one of your kits when I was at Scoot Richmond the other day. It's a nice kit, you did a really good job with that Gen-U-Bin.
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

Wow.
That was nice of you to say that!
Thank you! :D
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

Those PowerMadd's don't look half bad. I like the flames to :wink:
esk

Post by esk »

thanks for the report, Perkussion! looks like i'll be sending in an order to powermadd soon!
rajron

Post by rajron »

Saw this in another forum – it looks like it would work well – just a little funky
They called it “Redneck Grip Shields”