Travel plans for '10

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TVB

Travel plans for '10

Post by TVB »

Stuck indoors most of the time, I've been thinking about what to do and where to go when the weather gets nice again.

After last year's jaunt along Lake Michigan, an obvious option would be to scoot up the other coast, along Lake Huron, then back home through center of the Lower Peninsula. I've also mapped out different week-long route that would take me back through Wisconsin and cover the western UP (and back).

A less scooter-centric option would be to take Amtrak from here to Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. Scoots aren't allowed on the train :(, but a little research reveals that there's a place in Estes Park that rents Metros, Vinos, and Big Rucks. Without the moto-endorsement, I'd be limited to a Metro (even slower at that altitude) and the less mountainous roads (which is probably for the best). I'd probably split my time between a couple days hiking and a couple days scooting.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Rocky Mtn National Park! You can explore MI anytime.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

For sure I'm doing the Black Hills again. So much fun! I love the Needles Highway.
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

I just plan to explore the mountains around LA, if that gets boring eventually I'll try to ride up to the bay and back. I'd like to make Rides of March from LA to San Luis Obispo so I can meet up with a lot of the Bay Area scooter people. Should probably hurry up getting my stuff together.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
TVB

Post by TVB »

gr8dog wrote:Rocky Mtn National Park! You can explore MI anytime.
Except November, December, January, February, and March. And add October, April, and May to the list for the UP. :)
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Definitely going to Amerivespa in San Antonio and I'd like to go to another rally in the east later on in the summer.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

TVB,

This is not to say that Rocky Mountain NP is not nice, because it is beautiful. However, there are lots of places in Colorado that in my mind are just as awesome.

If you are planning to ride Amtrak, for me that makes the decision even easier. YOU ARE SELLING YOURSELF SHORT IF YOU RIDE AMTRAK AND DEPART AT DENVER TO GO TO RMNP!!!

The absolute jewel of the Amtrak system is the Moffat route through the tunnel (and 20+ others to get into the mountains), and then on to Gore and Glenwood canyons. These are some of the most beautiful areas of Colorado, and most of the trip has sights you cannot see any other way.

If I were you, I would run Amtrak to Glenwood Springs. Glenwood Springs is a beautiful, unpretentious town right outside the canyon. There are a ton of great hiking/biking opportunities in the canyon. Bring your bike and ride the canyon up to hanging lake, and hike from there- awesome. The whole canyon ride is awesome.

Aspen is 40 miles from Glenwood, and there is great bus service from Glenwood to Aspen. I am sure you can find a scoot rental in Glenwood, and if not there, definitely Aspen. I'm not a huge fan of Aspen myself, but its at least an experience to go there, and hike the Maroon Bells.

I would STRONGLY suggest going to Marble. Colorado simply does not get any prettier than Marble, CO. Words cannot describe. If you are brave, you could scoot there, but the only real access is by state highway with a higher speed limit. On a 50 you would not be doing the speed of the rest of the traffic.

I'm pretty sure you could scoot from Glenwood to Aspen on back roads using a 50, and there are plenty of good scoot rides in the Aspen area.

Do this trip. I am sure other Colorado folk will back me up on this.

Also, lodging in Glenwood is dirt cheap- cheaper than what you can find in Estes Park (gateway town to RMNP).
Valves are for wussies.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

For my plans, I am looking forward to getting some good rides in. With my 50, I was limited to rides around town, and there are some good ones getting into the mountains. I'm looking forward to stretching further from home. For one, with Stella I have enough power to safely ride to Denver, and participate in a lot of group rides up there.
Valves are for wussies.
rajron

Post by rajron »

These are just plans for now;
During Spring Break; we are going to trailer our scooters to Tucson AZ; spend a few days seeing what we can see there, then come home the long way via Sedona AZ, and checking out what’s there.
We have planned a scooter trip to Las Cruses NM from Albuquerque and back; long but easy ride, never been to Las Cruses.
Ride from Albuquerque to Jemez Springs, to Los Alamos, to Santa Fe, to Madrid and back to Albuquerque; several scenic rides incorporated into one long ride.
Trailer the Scooters to Taos and ride the Enchanted Circle; high altitude and beautiful.
And, then fit a trip to Hawaii, Oahu, in there at sometime; maybe rent 50cc scooters on the island.
TVB

Post by TVB »

RoMo has some sentimental appeal, as the place I went with my family as a kid (shortly after the park was founded ;)), but I'll look into going further west.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Great tip, Anachronism. Thanks, and yay for Amtrak!
ModBud #442
KCScooterDude

Re: Travel plans for '10

Post by KCScooterDude »

TVB wrote:Stuck indoors most of the time, I've been thinking about what to do and where to go when the weather gets nice again.

After last year's jaunt along Lake Michigan, an obvious option would be to scoot up the other coast, along Lake Huron, then back home through center of the Lower Peninsula. I've also mapped out different week-long route that would take me back through Wisconsin and cover the western UP (and back).

A less scooter-centric option would be to take Amtrak from here to Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. Scoots aren't allowed on the train :(, but a little research reveals that there's a place in Estes Park that rents Metros, Vinos, and Big Rucks. Without the moto-endorsement, I'd be limited to a Metro (even slower at that altitude) and the less mountainous roads (which is probably for the best). I'd probably split my time between a couple days hiking and a couple days scooting.
Rocky Mountain National park is awesome. You can ride Poutre River Canyon (I think that's the name), which is one of the most beautiful places in Colorado. Boulder is nice. Fort Collins is another cool college town. Great brewery.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Two wheel Trips: Amerivespa in May, Suzuki Metric Fest in Omaha in August. Those will be trailer to and ride when there.

I want to do a scooter camping trip and hopefully a motorcycle trip to Bike Night in Indianola, Ia, or Cassoday, KS. Both hopefully.

Family Trips: Canoeing in the Ozarks, Sailing in Yankton, SD (I'm not kidding, my wife is from around there), a camping trip with our telescope in middle of Kansas where it's good and dark at night. Mystic, CT, and New England in the fall (an annual event).

Hopefully also a trip with the boys to a Notre Dame game and a few Mizzou football games.

By the way, it's over 32 here in Kansas City for the first time in 2010. Time for a ride (after the two feet of snow melts).
JNV

2010 Plans

Post by JNV »

So far my only plans are for amerivespa San Antonio. Hopefully I can plan for more rides or camping later on. I am looking into buiding my own teardrop/toyhauler trailer for more adventures during the summer.
KCScooterDude

Re: 2010 Plans

Post by KCScooterDude »

JNV wrote:So far my only plans are for amerivespa San Antonio. Hopefully I can plan for more rides or camping later on. I am looking into buiding my own teardrop/toyhauler trailer for more adventures during the summer.
Somebody around here builds teardrops. I also share this dream. We'll see. I've got a lot of scooter/motorcycle projects planned.
TVB

Post by TVB »

...or maybe I'll take the train down to Nawlins, which I understand has dried out pretty well in the last five years, and I'm sure there are scooters to be rented once I get there.

Decisions, decisions...
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

I'm planning on taking my scoot from here (Naples, FL) to The national cemetary in Invernes fl, my father is buried there, i have not been to his grave since he passed bout 8 years ago (long story there, I will not bore you with) but I figure the trip should provide some much needed therapy and the destination some much needed closure. Hopefully the P-cola folks will be doing another rally in the summer and I'mma try to scoot to it fo sho :lol:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."