How Long?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Old Geezer

How Long?

Post by Old Geezer »

How Long is too long? Don't get me wrong -- My Buddy 150 is GREAT! But by August 2010 I plan to acquire a highway capable scoot -- 250-300 cc or thereabouts. I'd like to give genuine consideration to a Genuine scoot. Does Genuine have genuine intentions of genuinely marketing a scoot to compete with KYMCO or SYM? I have enough genuine enthusiasm for the quality of the Genuine Buddy to wait a little after August for the Genuine thing. If nothing appears, however, I'm afraid I'll no longer ride the Genuine thing.

Old Geezer
JSharpPhoto

Post by JSharpPhoto »

get a piaggio BV 500, if Genuine doesn't have anything to offer by then.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I'd go for MP3. That's the one I've been drooling over ever since I first saw it. I figured I needed to learn to ride something more tame first.
Old Geezer

How Long?

Post by Old Geezer »

Both the Burgman and MP3 are great scooters. I'm a little guy, and the Burgman 500 is outside my comfort zone. The MP3 -- I think even though I'm an old geezer, I'd rather stay on two wheels. Benn drooling over KYMCO Grand Vista (had a chance to sit on one on a club outing) and a SYM, but the closest SYM dealer is 130 miles away.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I wish I knew and could tell you it'll be before August, but no one really knows. The scooter is still under wraps and Genuine hasn't given any indication of when it's coming out. The reason, which I hope folks appreciate, is that like the Stella 4, they don't want to rush something to market before it's right. Also, they usually don't announce when something's coming until scooters are headed to the US and they know when they'll be in dealers.

So if you're willing to wait until August, great. Hopefully we'll know something by then!

I like the other options mentioned here, but I love the Aprilia Scarabeo 500. Only maxi on the market now I'd love to own.

The MP3 is great but pricey and I think the 250 is underpowered for its design and weight. But if all you want is "freeway capable," there's no need to go up to a Burgman or 500cc scooter—a 250cc-300cc would be more than adequate.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
redcass

Post by redcass »

Gosh, I just am not in love with the MP3, it looks too much like snowmobile-meets-ATV. However, my hwy scooter scoot-dream IS a Piaggio--a BV tourer 500.

That said, I can comfortably hold my own on any state hwy with a 55mph speed limit on my 125cc italia.

Go Genuine. :)
RedCass
B-rad

Post by B-rad »

I am with/against Eric on his reccomendation. Aprilias run like a scalded dog on crack. Great balance, fast as all get out too. But the parts cost! :cry:
If you wanna sell a kidney every time you need something, then hey , enjoy the Scabby. Mine seems to always need work and nothing on it is cheap. Plus, my dealer is 2 hours away!!
The Kymco on the other hand is super reliable. Comfy as all get out, and you don't have to wait 4-6 weeks on special order parts.

That said, what about a Honda Reflex?? Nice bike, and you can pick them up with low miles for a pretty good price.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Burgman 500? Did you mean 400? If so I would recommend staying away from the pre 2007 models. They have short service intervals on some tricky adjustments.

Yeah..the MP3s don't do anything for me either. The perceived increase in stability can be very deceiving.

The BV is a nice scooter but it is big and fairly heavy. I think the handling on the Burg 400 is much better.

Aprillas...I love them...but parts and service are a big negative to me.

While I think the Buddy is the best bang for the buck I can't say that I am a one brand person. Different companies make scooters for different purposes. There are some great bikes out there by many companies
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
laxer

Post by laxer »

I think the MP3 500s look gnarly, but the 250 and 400 models are just goofy looking.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Is there much of a difference between the Aprilia Scarabeo 500, and the Piaggio BV500?
I was considering the Aprilia, but, there was only one dealer in our state, over 150 miles away, the next dealers were out of state, and much further away, the Piaggio had a better network of dealers which made the Piaggio more attractive to me, eventually I got something else that fitted my needs better.
And, as for the three wheelers, it does take some getting used to, might be fun but not for me.
redcass

Post by redcass »

You all are selling me on the Aprilia. And I even found a dealer <1hr away!

neato.
RedCass
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rajron wrote:Is there much of a difference between the Aprilia Scarabeo 500, and the Piaggio BV500?
I was considering the Aprilia, but, there was only one dealer in our state, over 150 miles away, the next dealers were out of state, and much further away, the Piaggio had a better network of dealers which made the Piaggio more attractive to me, eventually I got something else that fitted my needs better.
And, as for the three wheelers, it does take some getting used to, might be fun but not for me.
I believe the Scarabeo is injected but the BV is still carbed. Any Piaggio dealer should be able to get Aprilia parts as easily as Piaggio parts. Or as slowly as the case may often be… :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Old Geezer

How Long?

Post by Old Geezer »

Wow -- Thanks for all the great responses and suggestions. Looks like I'm not the only one wanting something bigger.

My 150 will do 60 on the interstate without complaining, but there is nothing in reserve, the little wheels really have to hustle, and it seems unwise to me to push the envelope that far.

Thanks again

Old Geezer