Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gear Box Oil Amount

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Black Cat, Rattler & Roughhouse Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
veggie_cracker

Rough House

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Gear Box Oil Amount Reply with quote

I've put close to 3000 miles on my Rough House and decided it was long over due for an oil change.

I just drained the gear box on my Rough House 50 and I had about 200 ml of fluid.

That's kinda confusing because the manual tells me to replace it with 110 ml of SAE 140 Gear Box Oil.

Anyone else notice this after their first time replacing the oil?

Thanks everyone.
theemptythrone

hooligan 170i, 2002 yamaha vino 50

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just co with the usual 90 cc
agrogod

'09 Genuine Roughhouse 50

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it difficult to believe you got 200 ml. out of the gear box. With that much oil there would have been seepage, very noticeable seepage. Not to mention poor performance from foaming oil and gear drag.
That being said the accepted re-fill amount is 90 ml. This allows for leftover oil that is in the box, that you won't be able to remove, due to the way the box is shaped. Just remember these are small scoots. You work with small increments of anything you add.

veggie_cracker

Rough House

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Gear Box Reply with quote

agrogod wrote:
I find it difficult to believe you got 200 ml. out of the gear box. With that much oil there would have been seepage, very noticeable seepage. Not to mention poor performance from foaming oil and gear drag.
That being said the accepted re-fill amount is 90 ml. This allows for leftover oil that is in the box, that you won't be able to remove, due to the way the box is shaped. Just remember these are small scoots. You work with small increments of anything you add.

Believe it. Doesn't seem right to me either. My first thought was the manufacturer over fills the gear box for shipping purposes and the seller never removed the excess amount.
B02S4

Rattler 106

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Box Reply with quote

veggie_cracker wrote:
... My first thought was the manufacturer over fills the gear box for shipping purposes and the seller never removed the excess amount.

Your first thought appears incorrect.
veggie_cracker

Rough House

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Box Reply with quote

B02S4 wrote:
veggie_cracker wrote:
... My first thought was the manufacturer over fills the gear box for shipping purposes and the seller never removed the excess amount.

Your first thought appears incorrect.

Why does my first thought appear incorrect? Do you have anything to add to the discussion or are you trying to be funny?
agrogod

'09 Genuine Roughhouse 50

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of import/export laws they are normally shipped dry. Fluids are added at the dealer as part of pre-prep for sale.
B02S4

Rattler 106

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Box Reply with quote

veggie_cracker wrote:
...are you trying to be funny?

No.

The most likely scenario is whomever filled the gearbox made a mistake. Manufacturers don't make money by systemically overfilling fluids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » Black Cat, Rattler & Roughhouse Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: