Feeling wobbly...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sunshinen

Feeling wobbly...

Post by sunshinen »

Ever lost confidence in your riding ability? or your scooter? or something? and can't quite put your finger on why?

Part of it is all the freakin' sand and gravel they threw down for the "snowpocalypse" that doesn't wash away, just collects at the sides of roads and in the middle of turns and at stops... everywhere that loose gravel is a real hazard for riders.

Part of it is that with up and down temps my tire pressure is all over the place, and that affects the handling.

Part of it is that lag from turning the throttle till actually engaging the engine that you get from a scooter that is not properly adjusted for the cold, so you go from zero to shooting across intersections at unpredictable times and speeds.

But part of it seems like something is unstable in the steering itself. Most likely it's just all these things together, but I've been a bit nervous and feeling wobbly when riding lately. I'm making much wider turns, much less confidently than normal. Is there something in the steering column that could get loose that I should have a real mechanic check out? Or something else that would affect the handling/turning of the scooter?
Scooter Commuter
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Check the bearings for play.

Put the scoot on the centerstand and weight the back down so that the front is in the air.

Take the front wheel and turn it. if it feels notchy take it in.

Now hold the front wheel and try to rock it side to side on the vertical axis. If it's loose there, you should also take it in.

While you're looking at the front wheel, take a look around at the forks for any leaks or imperfections.

If both feel tight and smooth, then it's likely the other factors that you mentioned (the sand and especially just knowing what it can do).
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I have had days where I just wasn't riding at the top of my game. Why? I don't have a clue.

I have also had days when I just didn't feel like taking a scooter. On those days I don't ride.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BuddyRaton wrote:I have had days where I just wasn't riding at the top of my game. Why? I don't have a clue.
Every once in a while, I get a shaky feeling and seem to lose confidence. Purely psychological.

The cure, for me, is to slow down and focus on fundamentals, especially looking through turns. That's the first thing to go when I start getting sloppy.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
scootertuner1000

Post by scootertuner1000 »

BuddyRaton wrote:I have had days where I just wasn't riding at the top of my game. Why? I don't have a clue.

I have also had days when I just didn't feel like taking a scooter. On those days I don't ride.
Never had that problem, nt sure why.

The center stand is worn down on the left from leaning over so far around bends that the stand is dragging on the pavement. Gonna need a new stand soon. Looks really cool when it's dark though, cloud of sparks flying up all over as I take a curve looking like the scoot has fallen onto its side.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

scootertuner1000 wrote:Never had that problem, nt sure why.

The center stand is worn down on the left from leaning over so far around bends that the stand is dragging on the pavement. Gonna need a new stand soon. Looks really cool when it's dark though, cloud of sparks flying up all over as I take a curve looking like the scoot has fallen onto its side.
OK... looks like the next check you should do is of your centerstand?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
rickko

Post by rickko »

Lostmycage wrote:Check the bearings for play.

Put the scoot on the centerstand and weight the back down so that the front is in the air....
Easier than trying to weigh the back down after propping scooter on center-stand is to wedge some 2x4's under the battery casing to tilt the front up off the ground.

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
pdxrita

Re: Feeling wobbly...

Post by pdxrita »

sunshinen wrote:Ever lost confidence in your riding ability? or your scooter? or something? and can't quite put your finger on why?

Part of it is all the freakin' sand and gravel they threw down for the "snowpocalypse" that doesn't wash away, just collects at the sides of roads and in the middle of turns and at stops... everywhere that loose gravel is a real hazard for riders.

Part of it is that with up and down temps my tire pressure is all over the place, and that affects the handling.

Part of it is that lag from turning the throttle till actually engaging the engine that you get from a scooter that is not properly adjusted for the cold, so you go from zero to shooting across intersections at unpredictable times and speeds.

But part of it seems like something is unstable in the steering itself. Most likely it's just all these things together, but I've been a bit nervous and feeling wobbly when riding lately. I'm making much wider turns, much less confidently than normal. Is there something in the steering column that could get loose that I should have a real mechanic check out? Or something else that would affect the handling/turning of the scooter?
I'm going to say, first check things out from a mechanical point of view - Lostmycage gave some excellent advice. If it helps with your confidence (and if you can afford it), take it to the mechanic for a professional opinion. Secondly, I've had similar feelings of lost confidence when riding under less than ideal conditions. This time of year, the pavement is almost always wet, even if it's not actvely raining. On the few days when the pavement has been dry, I've been amazed at how much more confident and stable I feel. I just ride really cautiously when it's wet and it really dumps my confidence level (perhaps rightfully). Finally, in regards to the throttle feeling like it goes from nothing to 60 at stop signs, you should check out your throttle cable. If you feel any play in the handgrip when you twist it, then your cable needs to be tightened. This is a really easy thing to do and there are pictures on this board somewhere. It just under the pet carrier, inside the little hatch.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

+1 on steering bearings, if they're just a little worn down or loose, you've got a very dangerous situation.

And tire pressure (and wear) too, of course.

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.