White Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SFJess

White Buddy

Post by SFJess »

Hi,

I'm sure this has been discussed before. I tried searching for it, but ended up with tons and tons of results.

What's the story on the white buddy 125's? I read on another forum that they're pretty hard to find. It's the only color I haven't seen in person around the city, and I've noticed that some dealers don't even list white as being an option on their websites either. I ordered one from our local dealer (my first scooter!), should be here in a few weeks, and just wanted to know the backstory.

I already started buying all my gear, and I'm taking the MSF course next week! Can't wait to start learning to ride!
Medusa Padlock

Post by Medusa Padlock »

I saw a few at my dealer just yesterday...didn't realized they were harder to find...
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I think it was the new color for '09. I think?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It was a new color for '09 and they weren't produced (or ordered) in as high numbers as some of the other colors. They're not exactly rare, but in some markets there may be very few on the roads.

Also, white was a replacement for the EcoBuddy that Genuine wisely decided not to produce last year. The idea was to have a Buddy with maximized MPGs and emissions but lower performance. (Not a bad idea, but definitely not the right time for it.) I think some dealers who ordered these in advance may have received white Buddys instead when the Eco was cancelled.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
SFJess

Post by SFJess »

ericalm wrote:It was a new color for '09 and they weren't produced (or ordered) in as high numbers as some of the other colors. They're not exactly rare, but in some markets there may be very few on the roads.

Also, white was a replacement for the EcoBuddy that Genuine wisely decided not to produce last year. The idea was to have a Buddy with maximized MPGs and emissions but lower performance. (Not a bad idea, but definitely not the right time for it.) I think some dealers who ordered these in advance may have received white Buddys instead when the Eco was cancelled.
Thanks for the info!
azhawk31

Post by azhawk31 »

I`d really like to get the white buddy 125, will it cost more if the dealer has to order it vs selling you one already in stock? I assume you need to put down a good deposit?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

azhawk31 wrote:I`d really like to get the white buddy 125, will it cost more if the dealer has to order it vs selling you one already in stock? I assume you need to put down a good deposit?
Shouldn't cost any more.

Dealers place most of their orders a few times a year so I don't know how easy it would be to special order white or what sort of turnaround there would be. So for that and any info on a deposit, probably best to just talk to your dealer.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
SFJess

Post by SFJess »

azhawk31 wrote:I`d really like to get the white buddy 125, will it cost more if the dealer has to order it vs selling you one already in stock? I assume you need to put down a good deposit?
My dealer said it would be the same price. I offered to leave a deposit, and they didn't take it. Should be here before the end of the month. :D
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Nice. You must be very excited! Personally, I love the white Buddy's. They always turn my head.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
TVB

Post by TVB »

If a dealer has lots of scoots in inventory and they aren't selling quickly, they might be more willing to deal on the price of a bike he's already paid for. But that's a poor reason to buy a bike that isn't the one you want.
takora

Post by takora »

That hadn't occurred to me, but now that I think about it I don't think I've seen one other white buddy here in town (Portland OR), and I see several scooters every day... I've actually been seeing more of other makes lately, seems like I saw more buddys over the summer and fewer of them recently...

I have a white buddy, and when I got it about 7 or 8 months ago, the dealer had just a few in stock (maybe five), but far fewer in number than the other colors... I think they had at least twice as many of every other color. I love the white buddy, and I've never been a white *anything* person. It looks really good with the black hardware options, too!
azhawk31

Post by azhawk31 »

It looks like I`ll be ordering my white buddy on Tuesday when I go in and put down a deposit. You guys were right, same out the door cost as the others in stock. Will likely take 5 or so business days to arrive. Soon I`ll be a official member of the buddy nation. Alot of credit goes to everyone here for sharing all your knowledge on the various buddy topics. 8)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I may know of a used one with very low miles FS in LA soon…
takora

Post by takora »

azhawk31 wrote:It looks like I`ll be ordering my white buddy on Tuesday when I go in and put down a deposit. You guys were right, same out the door cost as the others in stock. Will likely take 5 or so business days to arrive. Soon I`ll be a official member of the buddy nation. Alot of credit goes to everyone here for sharing all your knowledge on the various buddy topics. 8)

Congrats! Will this be your first scooter? You'll LOVE it!

Did you finish the MSF course yet? It's a hassle, but REALLY worth it...

Oh, and white buddys are the best ones! :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

takora wrote:That hadn't occurred to me, but now that I think about it I don't think I've seen one other white buddy here in town (Portland OR), and I see several scooters every day... I've actually been seeing more of other makes lately, seems like I saw more buddys over the summer and fewer of them recently...

I have a white buddy, and when I got it about 7 or 8 months ago, the dealer had just a few in stock (maybe five), but far fewer in number than the other colors... I think they had at least twice as many of every other color. I love the white buddy, and I've never been a white *anything* person. It looks really good with the black hardware options, too!
Yeah, Vespa Portland stopped ordering the white ones because they wern't popular enough, the five they had originally are likely the only 5 in PDX.
SFJess

Post by SFJess »

takora wrote:
azhawk31 wrote:It looks like I`ll be ordering my white buddy on Tuesday when I go in and put down a deposit. You guys were right, same out the door cost as the others in stock. Will likely take 5 or so business days to arrive. Soon I`ll be a official member of the buddy nation. Alot of credit goes to everyone here for sharing all your knowledge on the various buddy topics. 8)

Congrats! Will this be your first scooter? You'll LOVE it!

Did you finish the MSF course yet? It's a hassle, but REALLY worth it...

Oh, and white buddys are the best ones! :)
I took the first day of my MSF class today! It was such a blast! The only thing I had trouble with was going through cones that were really close together but wide apart (if that makes sense). Kind of dreading the u-turn, but it's been great so far.

I get my license on the 23rd, and my white buddy should be here right around the same time :D