Reflective decals

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SFJess

Reflective decals

Post by SFJess »

Hi,

I just got my buddy today! I'm so excited. I want to add some reflective decals to my top case and to my helmet. What are some of the best sites to order from?

I know this has been answered. I tried to search but couldn't find what I was looking for. Eric posted a really good site, but I forgot to bookmark it, and now I can't find the link.

Thanks!
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

Congrats!

I googled for irish decals & bought mine through police & firemen website.
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

Here are a few websites that I've had bookmarked but never ordered from:

www.streetglo.net
www.reflectivedecals.com
www.reflectivelyyours.com

Personally, I bought a few 3M SOLAS sheets off of ebay and cut them up to put on my scooter and helmet. The refelction of these are brighter than my headlight. But then again I still have the original lightbulb on my '06 Buddy.
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club

Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

DOT-3 reflective tape comes in large rolls i get scraps from the trucking co. i work for...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I got my reflective checkered stripes from a place called Harris Decals (http://harrisdecals.com). Their web site is a little hinky but they can do almost anything custom, they do good work, they're fast and their prices are cheap.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

http://www.funreflector.com/

I bought the black skulls to put on the black rear fender and top case.
I like the way you can hardly see them in daylight -flat black on flat black.
I also have two on my white helmet.

After a pre-sunrise ride I was told "I could see you from half a mile away".

I also bought a roll of 3M silver and red reflective tape from ebay.
I cut it to various sizes and stuck them in several places.

It's usually dark when I ride to work in the morning so I really need to be
seen because of the amount of traffic and 50+ mph speeds.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I just did the reflective pinstripe on mine - from street glo
photos are here
topic7346.html
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

3decals.com

Not sure how their prices compare, but customer service was great (answered my question same day and shipping was quick) and they have a nice fleur de lis.
SFJess

Post by SFJess »

Those pinstripes look awesome!

And that's the site I was looking for, Eric.

Thanks everyone!
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Just something to think about. Adhesives on your helmet can potentially weaken its effectiveness. Hate to be the one to say that. Every once in a while my husband calls me the dream killer because I have to rationalize everything.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

bluebuddygirl wrote:Just something to think about. Adhesives on your helmet can potentially weaken its effectiveness. Hate to be the one to say that. Every once in a while my husband calls me the dream killer because I have to rationalize everything.
I think you lost me there... Where did you hear that from?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
TVB

Post by TVB »

bluebuddygirl wrote:Adhesives on your helmet can potentially weaken its effectiveness.
By what means... bad karma?
SFJess

Post by SFJess »

bluebuddygirl wrote:Just something to think about. Adhesives on your helmet can potentially weaken its effectiveness. Hate to be the one to say that. Every once in a while my husband calls me the dream killer because I have to rationalize everything.
Explain this please. I was just planning on adding one of the "halos" around the bottom. I can't imagine why that would be harmful. Definitely can't hurt to be more visible.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Paint, thinners, and solvent-based adhesives can weaken polycarbonate on helmet shells and the polystyrene innards. However, most decals and stickers use acrylic and other types of adhesives these days. I don't think you need to worry about decals but if you're really concerned, check with the supplier and make sure it's non-solvent-based.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

Agree!!! its all in how you land!!!

being that you brought this up and i do agree with the weaking over time... i also have to go with my gut feeling and replace this now 2 year old helment that is used alot... no so much on the fact of the adhesive from the reflective tape but the foam/strap and other parts have time wear on it... i well go with another Vega helment...

http://www.vegahelmet.com/
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You're supposed to replace your helmet every 3-4 years. So they say. Some may think it's a helmet company conspiracy. Others, like me, will probably replace it in that time whether or not it's deemed "necessary."

I like my Vega as well, but feel the urge to try something new… just for the heck of it.
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

alright i picked up a new hement on sale,,, out the door for less than $70

but thinking safety ill add some more reflective tape to this helment as well... im more worried about someone seeing me than the adhisive of the tape eating away the paint and finish making the helment weak... i well have it wore out in a couple of years anyway...

no color matches the rattler and the rattler match no color... its a very off red thats hard to match at the paint store...