Shopping for a backpack

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

johnny_buddha

Shopping for a backpack

Post by johnny_buddha »

Looking for a backpack that can hold my laptop, that is water resistant/water proof and ideally has some reflective piping on it.

Would also like to use this as a general purpose bag as well. Any recommendations please?
San Francisco

Re: Shopping for a backpack

Post by San Francisco »

johnny_buddha wrote:Looking for a backpack that can hold my laptop, that is water resistant/water proof and ideally has some reflective piping on it.

Would also like to use this as a general purpose bag as well. Any recommendations please?
That's somewhat a tall request, all those features in one bag. But I have
had hundreds of bags over the years so I kinda know which ones are which.

Since you list holding a laptop as a requirement I would focus your search
on a "computer/laptop" backpack since those will have a special padded
compartment for the laptop. You need that since the laptop cannot be
flopping around in the bag.

As for reflective tape, I have not seen those. Just go to a bicycle shop
and buy some flashing LED lights and attach those to the backpack. That
is what I see people doing [and that is what I have on my backpacks that
I use on my road bikes].

Most backpacks will afford some protection against rain, but many do NOT
keep out the rain if you are commuting for an hour, for example. You
should keep some plastic bags in the backpack and also spray the outside
of the backpack if you plan on being in the rain for a length of time. But
most backpacks will repel water for a time.

You can search on eBay for the various types of backpacks. Just enter the
search term "computer backpack" and see what comes up. If you are
not an eBay member, you can search there then go to Amazon and see if
they have it.

I will tell you who makes the best backpacks I have ever used......
"Kensington." They make a full line of backpacks that hold computers.

Another good name is "Caselogic" or "Case Logic." They make CD cases but branched out
to all kinds of cases, including backpacks.

Here are some links:

"Kensington backpack"

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=

"Caselogic Backpack"

"Computer backpack"

"Laptop backpack"

Last edited by San Francisco on Wed May 09, 2007 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
San Francisco

Post by San Francisco »

Despite having about 20 backpacks and cases, when I provided the link
to you for the Kensington cases, I saw one that I could not pass up.

So posting the info for you cost me $40 [shipping included]. Tell you
what, PayPal me $40, I keep the backpack and we will call it
even. :P :? :wink:

http://tinyurl.com/37exkg
Last edited by San Francisco on Wed May 09, 2007 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnny_buddha

Post by johnny_buddha »

Thanks for the links. Yeah, knew it was a lot to ask for. Could probably do without the water resistant part since my commute is only about 6 miles (even though it takes me over 30 min during some busy evenings). But I would think that the reflective piping should be more commonplace.
San Francisco

Post by San Francisco »

johnny_buddha wrote:Thanks for the links. Yeah, knew it was a lot to ask for. Could probably do without the water resistant part since my commute is only about 6 miles (even though it takes me over 30 min during some busy evenings). But I would think that the reflective piping should be more commonplace.
Actually, the Kensington bag I just won looks like it has reflective piping.
In any event, that is the type of bag you want.

http://tinyurl.com/37exkg
Last edited by San Francisco on Wed May 09, 2007 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnny_buddha

Post by johnny_buddha »

San Francisco wrote:Despite having about 20 backpacks and cases, when I provided the link
to you for the Kensington cases, I saw one that I could not pass up.

So posting the info for you cost me $40 [shipping included]. Tell you
what, PayPal me $40, I keep the backpack and we will call it
even. :P :? :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1
Ok, only as long as it comes in hot pink and with a bunch of Hello Kitty patches on it. :wink:
San Francisco

Post by San Francisco »

Another good name in cases and backpacks is Targus. But I have always
found Kensington to be the best.

http://tinyurl.com/2buxop
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You can buy adhesive or sew-on reflective tape for backpacks (or whatever). A 1" strip will do a lot more good than reflective piping.

As far as backpacks that meet your other needs, I have had a couple that I like. I'm still pretty fond of my Ogio Fugitive: quite comfortable, 2050 Cu In. of space, plenty of pockets, including stretchy mesh on the sides for bottles. Padded MP3 player pocket with an outlet for headphones. Got it "new" off eBay for $30.

Then I found the Merrell Rapid Pack II. 2,340 Cu. In., a better laptop compartment, much more expandable/collapsible and with a ton of pockets, etc. on the inside. I got last year's model on clearance for $35 at Nordstrom Rack. Go figure.

Check out ebags.com — they stock a lot of good bags at decent prices.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
brat

Post by brat »

I recommend Chrome or Cargo. They are both in SF and are both small businesses. Both bags are designed to carried while on a bike. Both are very water proof and can have reflective tape on them. look them up on google. They will both do custom bags.

Susan
bwilms

Post by bwilms »

I purchased an Ortlieb Velocity waterproof backpack last year for use on my bicycle. It's come in very handy on the Buddy, allowing me to haul my laptop and keep everything dry. It's not designed for laptops, per se, but I stand by it as a quality product.
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

It's not a backpack but I love my Timbuk2 messenger bag. The center panel is completely reflective. I wanted something that would carry lots of stuff comfortably on my back and have lots of reflective material. This does exactly what I need it to. They have plenty of options for you to choose from yet they're somewhat pricey. www.timbuk2.com Compare with and without a flash:
Attachments
IMG_3132.jpg
IMG_3132.jpg (15.88 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
IMG_3133.jpg
IMG_3133.jpg (18.33 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
JeremyZ

Post by JeremyZ »

I have one now that fills all those criteria.

I got it at Sports Authority.

It is a 'Sweeper' from The North Face. It's very sweet. I think it was $60.
hangukhurley

Post by hangukhurley »

SteMer wrote:I love my Timbuk2 messenger bag. This does exactly what I need it to. They have plenty of options for you to choose from yet they're somewhat pricey. www.timbuk2.com
I'm with you. I have three bags from Timbuk2: one x-small messenger bag, another larger messenger bag I customized on-line and then a laptop bag I purchased at the Apple store. As SteMer mentioned, they are somewhat pricey but it's because of their superior quality.
- hangukhurley & Frenchy...Pretty in Pink!
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I also love my Timbuk2 Messenger bag. :D

Consider the Void if you're looking for a laptop-capable backpack.

As mentioned, they're not cheap, but they're incredible. :D
Huh? What just happened?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I have a couple Timbuk 2s as well and think pretty highly of them. But because I tend to travel a bit heavy—laptop, books, a ton of stuff I probably don't need—a backpack is more comfortable. I don't feel as confident when I'm concerned about the messenger shifting as I corner and the weight puts a strain on my neck and shoulders.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I carry my laptop in a non-laptop bag. Works fine. Just check the dimensions to make sure it is wide enough. :D

Outdoor equipment places (REI.com, altrec.com, etc.) should have what you are looking for. A lot of the snowskiing backpacks or mountaineering backpacks are waterproof and many have reflective piping. Now would be a good time to get some of the winter stuff on sale too.
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

ericalm wrote:I have a couple Timbuk 2s as well and think pretty highly of them. But because I tend to travel a bit heavy—laptop, books, a ton of stuff I probably don't need—a backpack is more comfortable. I don't feel as confident when I'm concerned about the messenger shifting as I corner and the weight puts a strain on my neck and shoulders.
There are two things that help for me when I'm carrying a heavier load - the cross strap does a great job of stabilizing the bag and securing it to my body. Secondly, I have the main strap loosened to the point where the bag actually rests on the back of the scooter while I ride, so I never quite feel the load. Now having said all that, I don't carry quite as heavy a load as you do so I can see where a backpack may be more helpful in those cases.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Also, though the laptop compartment in my Merrell is padded, it's also roomy to a fault—can probably fit most 17" screens. I got a neoprene sleeve to wrap my precious 15" MacBook and keep it from shifting too much.

Already trashed one laptop in a crash, bah. Well, I got an upgrade out of it, at least.
lou76

Post by lou76 »

check out monkeybags too... a kind of saddle-bag backpack, with half in front and half behind, with a strap over the left shoulder... it sits very nicely and securely over the seat in a rather saddlebag manner, also...
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

To make almost any bag a laptop bag, consider one of these. :D

I love mine for transport of the laptop, and it's also something that's comfy to have between you and your computer (particularly if you have a G4 laptop that tends to get pretty damned hot on your legs). :lol:
Huh? What just happened?
iheartsf

Post by iheartsf »

ebags.com. Awesome website, great consumer reviews, cheapest prices I've found (including for the timbuk2 messenger, which I got from there a few months ago).
johnny_buddha

Post by johnny_buddha »

Thanks y'all. Lots to look at. Worse comes to worse, I'll get a garbage bag with a drawstring. :P
rehrlund@gmail.com

Post by rehrlund@gmail.com »

https://shop.thehungersite.com/store/it ... y&index=34

http://www.thehungersite.com/clickToGiv ... s?siteId=1

My last post about the hunger site was deleted because someone thought I was spamming, but here is a weather resistant messenger bag sold on their site that is about 20.00 and donates 50 cups of food to starving nations when you buy. It's just plain blue but cheap, and you can add reflectors for nada. They also have a daily clicking system and affiliate sites for other things like breast cancer awareness and animal rescue that donates money to these causes completely free to you by clicking a button. I believe all the sites offer the bag as well, so you can pick your cause and still get a great bag for a low cost. And maybe feel a little better about where your money is going.

edit: my very "cool" non-water proof bag is on the way from there right now. It was likewise 20 bucks and comes in awesome designs/colors. And I do actually feel better. :D
"Have you ever noticed how quickly a flower can grow? We think of growth as such a slow drawn out process, when in fact, it is we who are choosing to take our time with it."- Moi
tinalee123

Post by tinalee123 »

I echo the replies about the Timbuk2, I have several in different sizes for different functions and really like them. However, your comment about having something waterproof or water resistent should point you in the direction of Chrome bags, www.chromebags.com. They make a variety of packs and messenger bags. This is the one that the "professionals" (messengers) use, probably because of its' water proof interior. I just bought my husband one and he loves it. It sets itself apart from the others with its' unique car-seat like buckle. Very unusual, but incredibly creative and functional. There are a variety of different color schemes and reflective materials available. Similar to Timbuk2, you can customize your bag. Also like Timbuk2, they ain't cheap, but, it will probably be the first and last one you buy.
JeremyZ

Post by JeremyZ »

The messenger bags that are so popular are not the best idea for a motorcycle & scooter, even though that is what they were designed for.

God forbid the bag catches on something, the strap will break or crush your neck.

Better off with something that doesn't go on your neck at all, IMHO.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

I am a Timbuk2 fan as well. I love them. I also have a fantastic water-resistant Patagonia messanger bag with a large reflective strip on it. I use it to commute on my scooter for work and holds my travel coffee mug perfectly.

PS. It's orange so it matches my scooter!
Laura
AgentKestrel

Post by AgentKestrel »

Wow I really like these Timbuk2 packs, I'll have to get me one soon.

I currently use a Targus for my MacBook as well as my work Laptop. It isn't water proof and I don't really need to worry that much about rain in Tucson. But, I usually use what the campers do, and have a raincover for my backpack. I have an Osprey I've used for over 3 years. I can't seem to find it on the net, but here is another one that should work.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/store ... d=12500226

Make sure you get one that fits well so it doesn't get blown around.
johnny_buddha

Post by johnny_buddha »

Ended up ordering a North Face Heckler from ebags. That site rocks, evens lists which laptops fit in which bags.

JeremyZ, I looked at the Sweeper but my laptop is too big for it.

They got a special going on that if you spend over $75, they'll send you a $25 certificate on your next order over $75. Pretty cool.

Thanks again for the recommendations.
250koala

Post by 250koala »

I would say the laptop backpack by Vy & Elle. I have their DJ bag and a regular laptop bag by them. Their stuff is made from recycled billboards. ZNo two pieces are the same.

www.vyandelle.com
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

http://www.nowpublic.com/timbuk2_bags_l ... campaign_0

On May 17th, Timbuk2 Bags (www.timbuk2.com) launched an email campaign to promote a set of limited edition messenger bags made with exotic fabrics. The ad campaign features an apparently underage and crying teenage girl in a prom dress and a picture of a long-haired man in a stained wife-beater style t-shirt, with the tagline "Just like that jerk who stole your virginity,..."

When asked for comment, a representative at Timbuk2 said that the team considered "softening the copy to something like… 'just like that guy who never called…'" However, the representative continued, "The powers that be didn’t think it packed the same punch... or was as funny."

Timbuk2 donates hundreds of their bags each year to various charity auctions including San Francisco's At The Crossroads program for homeless youth.
ModBud #442