Speaking of Rust ...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sunshinen

Speaking of Rust ...

Post by sunshinen »

It was a salt-eriffic winter (and I don't have anywhere to wash the scoot until after the freezing stops and they turn the outdoor faucets back on...).

If I use the high-heat Rustoleum over the current rust-encrusted muffler ... will it just continue to rust under the paint or does sealing out the oxygen stop the reaction.
Scooter Commuter
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Pretty sure it'll keep rusting under the paint. I'd want to get it down to clean metal, THEN paint it.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

they make special paint that bonds with rust, I used it on an old car of mine. Its slows the process down quite a bit but I don't think anyhting really stops rust.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
MrNatural

Post by MrNatural »

jasondavis48108 wrote:...I don't think anyhting really stops rust.
i.e. Rust never sleeps......
My other scooter is a Schwinn.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

does anyone know if the prima pipes rust? It might be worth the upgrade just to get a new shiny pipe if it doesn't
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

jasondavis48108 wrote:does anyone know if the prima pipes rust? It might be worth the upgrade just to get a new shiny pipe if it doesn't
prima pretty sure it does rust especially weld joints. the high temp paint will cook off where it attaches to the engine, about 4 inches down the pipe done it many times you just have to keep an eye on it one of the curses of being an artic scooter warrior
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Rust kills metals even when covered. There's people who put bondo and a new paint job over old vietnamese and asian restored vespas, then later people find rust eats away even under all of the cover.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Mufflers are a special challenge and I would not expect any coating to last very well. On other rusty metal - clean off the loose stuff, treat with Naval Jelly (turns the oxides to phospates), coat with metal primer and paint with good quality urethane paint. That drill generally works pretty well.
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

There were some rust spots on my Buddy's muffler pipe when I bought her. I used steel wool to remove the rust, washed and dried the pipe and then painted with the paint you use on outdoor grills; it's supposed to withstand heat up to 1400F or something. That was about a year ago and so far the rust has been kept at bay. However, I have no doubt it will raise it's ugly head again.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:does anyone know if the prima pipes rust? It might be worth the upgrade just to get a new shiny pipe if it doesn't
prima pretty sure it does rust especially weld joints. the high temp paint will cook off where it attaches to the engine, about 4 inches down the pipe done it many times you just have to keep an eye on it one of the curses of being an artic scooter warrior
my prima pipe is the only metal NOT rusting on my scoot. I take Wenol to it every couple of weeks to shine it up again. I can see potential for the brackets or bolts to rust but the pipe itself won't - or I haven't had it do so 2 blocks from the ocean when every other thing metal on my scoot rusts.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

jijifer wrote:
kneil67@yahoo.com wrote:
my prima pipe is the only metal NOT rusting on my scoot. I take Wenol to it every couple of weeks to shine it up again. I can see potential for the brackets or bolts to rust but the pipe itself won't - or I haven't had it do so 2 blocks from the ocean when every other thing metal on my scoot rusts.
good to know