Tail of the dragon questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

schroeder

Tail of the dragon questions

Post by schroeder »

Who can give me info on this route? All I know is it is in North Carolina. What is the state route and what cities does it run between? Also about how many miles is this section called the tail of the dragon?
Me? I ride for the bugs!
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Just an FYI, it's closed right now due to rockslides and some unstable possible rockslides. The trouble area is on the border between NC and TN, so determining who pays for the repairs is causing a hold up.

Story here
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

The Dragon is fun! If you are in the area I would suggest doing the CHEROHALA SKYWAY loop.

The visitors center in Tellico is great with trailer parking and really nice people.

The views are amazing...the roads are fun and the 2 wheel atmosphere is intoxicating!

"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
amy

Post by amy »

I'm riding it for the first time this weekend and am a little anxious.

I'm sure I'll be taking it a little slower the first time or two and I just wonder if anyone offer tips/observations from their own experiences?
JAEGER

Post by JAEGER »

amy wrote:I'm riding it for the first time this weekend and am a little anxious.

I'm sure I'll be taking it a little slower the first time or two and I just wonder if anyone offer tips/observations from their own experiences?
Ride within your comfort zone. I did most of it several years ago and it's a fun ride that'll make you work -- some really technical sections that force you to consider your line before diving into the curve.

Don't race, and don't push yourself too hard. Don't try to impress anyone other than yourself. It's better to be thought slow and overly cautious than to nail bits of your bike to the Tree of Shame.

And enjoy the scenery, it's gorgeous down there. :)

--Jaeger
"Exterminate all rational thought. That is the conclusion I have come to." -- Bill Lee, Naked Lunch
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 // 2013 Genuine Buddy 125
www.blackletter.org
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Good advice above. Ride your ride and enjoy it. If someone behind you is being a jerk just let them go past.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
amy

Post by amy »

Thanks fellas! Some peeps from our Atlanta club are also going and I'll be able to follow their lines.

I've got the GoPro all ready, too!
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

I'm planning on swinging through this area on my way down to the Atlanta rally, next weekend. I hope there aren't closures next Thursday.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
amy

Post by amy »

Scroll down to watch videos 1 - 3 in order. I shot from the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort all the way to the Harley Shop.

Part 1
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rS-4vg3A1ys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 2
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p7Tor_X-L_Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Part 3
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ayZBxeqcxtY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Great videos, Amy! Naming the turns was a nice touch.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Rob

Post by Rob »

I've done the Dragon twice ... once on the scoot and once on an MC.

I'd suggest doing it on a weekday if possible as there will be less vehicle traffic. My biggest concern was with a few cage pilots that take the curves too fast and swing into the other lane.

And as someone else suggested, but all means do the Cherohala Skyway. In fact there are several very scenic and less publicized roads in that area.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
amy

Post by amy »

We did the Cherahola, too. Sooooo pretty and F U N!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Rob wrote:I'd suggest doing it on a weekday if possible as there will be less vehicle traffic. My biggest concern was with a few cage pilots that take the curves too fast and swing into the other lane.
I've never done it, but that's what I've heard too, on weekends and certain days it's just packed. If a particularly aggro car or motorcycle club happens to be doing it the same day, it can be trouble for people who are just taking it easy and enjoying themselves. There's enough for a safe rider to worry about without aggressive/impatient drivers/riders showing off.

Even on a slow day, I'd say just wear all the gear, keep your head clear (good night's sleep, no drinking) and ride within your comfort level, and adjust for an increased likelihood of aggressive riders coming up behind you or coming at you.

Also, I don't know what it's like where you live/ride, but I live in downtown Chicago and even though I've been riding for 15 years, I'm very rarely dealing with hills and curves at all, so if you're like me, familiarize yourself, get some practice, and read Proficient Motorcycle a few times for good luck, ha. I always wonder if people who ride rurally are as terrified of city traffic as I am of blind downhill curves on a road with oil and loose gravel.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.