Thinking about a Stella.... BOUGHT MINE!

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

bluezurich wrote:Ah the kickstart, a hallmark and unfortunately a vestige of scooterdom. The only way to start IMHO.
Electric starts are for one legged people and wussies! :mrgreen:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Lovelandstella wrote:

also, Anachronism and I are probably talking about the same scooter dealer (prices wise)
Anachronism, is it this one? so it may not be "dealers across the nation are doing this- I suppose it could be just one? i dunno.

full disclosure- I did not buy my 4t from that dealer- even though I really wanted to. they are just too far away from me in "Northern Colorado".
Yes, that's my dealer (and they are great). They are struggling because when scooter sales exploded in 2008, they essentially sold through most of their 2008's by June of that year. In 2009, they bought a TON of product, just to see the market get soft.

When I bought my Stella in September 2009, they had 50 new 2009 Stellas available. That sucks.
Valves are for wussies.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ScootLemont wrote:on a related note... as I have been surfing the web, sending some emails & made a couple calls for stellas for sale, it appears that dealers in large cities are asking full list price for the last of the 2T Stellas (end of an era, last chance to own a real vintage design kind of attitude) and the dealers farther away from major cities are discounting the remaining 2T Stellas they have left (I assume because they feel they have more interest on the 4T from customers)
Sportique (Denver & other CO. cities) is listing 2009 Stellas for $3,800 on their website - thats $200 over MSRP
while the dealer in Neenah WI (the sticks, more or less) has a 2009 with 12 miles (their demo unit) w/ full warranty for $2,500
I didnt make the drive to Chicago but on the phone, the guy at Scooterworks (Chicago) gave me the impression that they were not dealing on their remaining 2T Stellas because they are the last of their kind.... so I am not planing on making the drive to see them.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

neenah is not out in the sticks
the fox valley has a large popultaion and in fact he is only about 20 miles away from another genuine dealer
but also andy is now leaning more towards motorcycles and not doing any where near as many scooters
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

jmkjr72 wrote:neenah is not out in the sticks
the fox valley has a large popultaion and in fact he is only about 20 miles away from another genuine dealer
but also andy is now leaning more towards motorcycles and not doing any where near as many scooters
I wasn't knocking Neenah & maybe calling it the sticks is an over simplification
My point was just that dealers in smaller areas (Neenah is in Winnebago County with a population of 162,000) seem to be dealing, while dealers in Chicago (Cook county population 5,200,000) & Denver (Denver County 598,000) seem to feel they are likely to find a few people to buy their remaining 2T Stellas at list (or above) because they are buying into the "end of an era" thing.
This premise could be false.... and if the Neenah dealer is backing away from scooters a little, that could be the reason for the discount.
Hey... I dont know what the dealers are really thinking, but its a safe bet that you are more likely to find a customer to pay list price for a Stella in Chicago, than you would be to find one in a less populated area.

For the record... I LOVE the sticks - I have 8 acres of woods & a small home about a mile from Lake Petenwell - yep... I am one of those F.I.B.s who drive from IL to WI several weekends a year to get away from the Chicago area & ride ATVs, Snowmobiles & go boating
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

ScootLemont wrote:
jmkjr72 wrote:neenah is not out in the sticks
I wasn't knocking Neenah & maybe calling it the sticks is an over simplification
My point was just that dealers in smaller areas (Neenah is in Winnebago County with a population of 162,000) seem to be dealing, while dealers in Chicago (Cook county population 5,200,000) & Denver (Denver County 598,000) seem to feel they are likely to find a few people to buy their remaining 2T Stellas at list (or above) because they are buying into the "end of an era" thing.
This premise could be false.... and if the Neenah dealer is backing away from scooters a little, that could be the reason for the discount.
Hey... I dont know what the dealers are really thinking, but its a safe bet that you are more likely to find a customer to pay list price for a Stella in Chicago, than you would be to find one in a less populated area.

For the record... I LOVE the sticks - I have 8 acres of woods & a small home about a mile from Lake Petenwell - yep... I am one of those F.I.B.s who drive from IL to WI several weekends a year to get away from the Chicago area & ride ATVs, Snowmobiles & go boating
neenah is actauly part of a metro area neenah mensha appleton oshkosh(the fox valley) that has a popultions of almost 360000 and its actauly right on the border of 3 counties calumet wineabago outagamie maybe a little larger then you think its actualy larger then the green bay area

the only time we love the fibs is when they are spending money up here other wise you guys just drive us crazy on the road
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jmkjr72 wrote: neenah is actauly part of a metro area neenah mensha appleton oshkosh(the fox valley)

Come on...admit it...they just pulled a handfull of Scrabble tiles out of the box to get those names!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

On sportique's front page they have a link to their sales prices. They are NOT trying to sell 2t's at $3800, rather $2900.

http://www.sportiquescooters.com/misc/spring10.html

Its also worth noting that $2900 is an out the door price after dealer prep.
Valves are for wussies.
10gallonhat

Post by 10gallonhat »

According to the ad - that's a 2008 Stella. If that makes any difference in the sale price.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

BuddyRaton wrote:
jmkjr72 wrote: neenah is actauly part of a metro area neenah mensha appleton oshkosh(the fox valley)

Come on...admit it...they just pulled a handfull of Scrabble tiles out of the box to get those names!
:rofl: :clap:
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Anachronism wrote:On sportique's front page they have a link to their sales prices. They are NOT trying to sell 2t's at $3800, rather $2900.
Under new scooters....
http://www.sportiquescooters.com/index. ... n&Itemid=8
Stella 150cc 2t $3,800
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I love the neenah mensha appleton oshkosh skyline at night
(just kidding with ya)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

BuddyRaton wrote:
And then with the letters that were left over, they named their county roads
When I go to the lake I take C to Z
and if you are ever in Ontario WI stop by Wildcat Mountain State Park - just take V to P go left on Z Right on ZZ - if you come to F, you went the wrong way. (not kidding)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Anachronism wrote:On sportique's front page they have a link to their sales prices. They are NOT trying to sell 2t's at $3800, rather $2900.
Not quite out the door... its + tax but Denver is only 3.62 right? Chicago is something like 8%
It is a good price.... If I could find a new 2008 Stella within 150 miles of me with a price of $2,900, I would buy it tomorrow.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

yep thats about right with the county road names you take r to bb to q to kb to pp and then you end up in dyksville

but then again we will tell you go about a mile look for the farm with the blue barn then count 2 red barns and turn left if you get the the brown barn youv gone t far

either that or the directions will include turn left by the white tail tavern and left by the flat top tavern and if you get to hooterville station youve gone too far

if any of you come up for our rally you will get to ride some of these wonderfull letter named roads
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

ScootLemont wrote:
Under new scooters....
http://www.sportiquescooters.com/index. ... n&Itemid=8
Stella 150cc 2t $3,800
Yep, it does show that. For some reason they always list their regular price as opposed to sale prices in there. Probably so they can show the markdown.

In the showroom, they have 08's and 09's at that price, at least I'm pretty sure I saw 09's labeled $2900.

Just buy one and take a road trip. :)

BTW, Denver sales taxes are pretty close to 8%. At least, Colorado Springs is pretty close to that.
Valves are for wussies.
chad

Post by chad »

scootlamont, if you're still looking for one, i have a cherry 2008 with 300 some miles for $2,500. i'm in wisconsin. check in the for sale section here, there's a link to it.

edit: oops, nevermind, i nee nena/menasha has me beat.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

chad wrote:scootlamont, if you're still looking for one, i have a cherry 2008 with 300 some miles for $2,500. i'm in wisconsin. check in the for sale section here, there's a link to it.

edit: oops, nevermind, i nee nena/menasha has me beat.
Thanks - I spent a lot of time looking at your pics & thinking about the 400 mile drive.

In a perfect world I would find a similar Stella at a dealer (so I could trade in my Rattler & not have to deal with selling that) that would be within an hour or so of my house (for service work if I got into something I couldn't handle)
That being said... I could take it to Scooterworks Chicago if I needed to...
Man... I am still thinking about this but would really like to find one closer to home.
ron521

Post by ron521 »

Unlike most other scooters being built today, the Stella, being based on the old Vespa design, is not "center balanced"...that is to say, the engine is offset to the right, and it wants to lean to the right.
The spare tire mounted on the left side compensates for this somewhat, but not completely.
The result is that the Stella (and older Vespas) handle differently on a right-hand turn than on a left-hand turn. You can feel the engine weight trying to pull you back upright when making a fast left turn. At a stoplight, you will more often put your right foot down, unless you learn to tilt it to the left a few degrees.
It isn't a huge thing.
Thousands of people have accomodated themselves to this. Audrey Hepburn rode a Vespa on camera, with Gregory Peck as a passenger.
But it is something to be aware of, an accomodation which must be made.
I speak as one who has owned an Allstate (built by Vespa) and two actual Vespas, a 150 GS and a 180.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Ok
There is a black 2009 in Wisconsin I have to go look at

cant make it there until the 22nd & am hoping it will still be there

I am taking the attitude that if it is sold before then, its wasnt meant to be but if they still have it, I was meant to have it

Keep your fingers crossed for me
Last edited by ScootLemont on Thu May 13, 2010 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ObjectAgnosia

Post by ObjectAgnosia »

ScootLemont wrote:Ok
There is a black 2009 in Wisconsin I have to go look at

cant make it there until the 22nd & am hoping it will still be there

I am taking the attitude that if it is sold before then, its wasnt meant to be but if they still have it, I was meant to have it

Keep your fingers crossed for me
You'll notice it if you look for it. I read about this after owning the Stella and can kind of see what people are talking about, not a big issue. Good luck on the hunt for your Stella.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ObjectAgnosia wrote:You'll notice it if you look for it. I read about this after owning the Stella and can kind of see what people are talking about, not a big issue. Good luck on the hunt for your Stella.
Are you talking about noticing it being unbalanced?
Or something else?

I assume the unbalanced thing isnt a big deal since there are a zillion out there with that design - right?
ObjectAgnosia

Post by ObjectAgnosia »

Yeah the unbalanced part. I quoted the wrong post :P How many miles does that one have and how much are they asking?
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ObjectAgnosia wrote:Yeah the unbalanced part. I quoted the wrong post :P How many miles does that one have and how much are they asking?
12/$2,400
Its new... never registered
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

You need to hop all over that one, if a 2T is what you're looking for. 1 year warranty still going to be honored?

Looks nice.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

bluezurich wrote:You need to hop all over that one, if a 2T is what you're looking for. 1 year warranty still going to be honored?
Looks nice.
Yep 1 year warranty

I would go get it this weekend but.... I have to drive 240 miles to pick up my trailer at my place in Wisconsin - then come back home to pick up my trade-in & then go to the dealer back in Wisconsin, but not anywhere near my place there - cant pull that all off in one weekend.
deck99

Post by deck99 »

Just rent a tailer for like $50 at a rental store. It will probably be a wash on gas since you would have to travel to get the other trailer.

I would probabably send them a paypal to hold it for me.

That's a good deal.

deck99
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Yeah I thought about offering some money to hold it.... but we havent arrived at price on my trade it yet.... so I dont want to show all my cards yet - I am still hoping to do OK on the trade (not a lot, but just OK)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

And..... jmkjr72 tipped me to a Genuine dealership about 30 miles from this one with 5 Stellas in stock - including a RED one - So I plan on coming home with a Stella even if the black one falls through
but hopefully it wont.

& about renting a trailer.... see I need to get one of my trailers anyway.... and mow the grass at my cabin.... and deal with some other things this weekend....
So I am sticking with the whole "if its meant to be, it will happen" thing.

By the way.... anyone have any tips for strapping a scoot to a flat trailer?
please post them at this thread
topic15210.html
Thanks!
ObjectAgnosia

Post by ObjectAgnosia »

If that's $2400 otd/private sale it's a steal. You should be able to drive the dealer down to close to that price before tax and fees. Your otd price will be more but you'll have the warranty.
deck99

Post by deck99 »

They'll deal with you. I just bought my new '09 in Omaha for $2500. I also got them to throw in 2 brand new helmets with flip visors.

I love this thing...its genuine :).
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

well unless andy is charging set up and freight on top of that as long as scootlemont takes it with him back to il he wont have to pay ttl in wi he will have to pay in il

but being you have a cottage here in wi scootlemont look at the diffrence in cost for the the ttl and if its cheaper here in wi then home in il tell andy you will be leaving it at your cottage here and use that adress
our plates only run 23 every 2 years 5 or 5.5% sales tax and alomst 100 for the title
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

You got it
No prep or anything from the dealer

Wisconsin DMV wont let me get away with registering in Wisconsin
I tried with my trailers
But wisconsin Dnr is happy to take my money for the ATVs and sleds.
Yep... I will have to pay tax in IL
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

ScootLemont wrote:You got it
No prep or anything from the dealer

Wisconsin DMV wont let me get away with registering in Wisconsin
I tried with my trailers
But wisconsin Dnr is happy to take my money for the ATVs and sleds.
Yep... I will have to pay tax in IL
thats odd i know a few people from il that own property up on wa island and they leave there scoots there and they are registered in wi
but they also have there mail sent to the adress on the island and i think some one gets it and forwards it to them
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Yeah... no mailbox at the cabin so that would be a problem.
The dmv person said I couldn't with the trailers when I was in the wis. Rapids office trying to do it. She looked at my I'LL drivers licence and told me since I wasn't a full time resident, I couldn't do it.
I told her the trailers would never be back in I'LL but she didn't care.
Actually... the trailer I am picking up right now hasn't been in I'LL in 8 years.
What ever.....
I would rather have the I'LL plates... there are only a couple scoots in my little town and sooner or later a cop would wonder about the one with WI plates

Hey... its a great morning in wisconsin
http://mobile.tweetphoto.com/22515825
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

got the trailer picked up.... just need to replace the plywood on it & mount my new wheel chock & I will be all set for the trip to Wisconsin on Saturday.... if they dont sell it before then
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Then you can just start heading south to San Antonio, since it will already be on the trailer... just makes sense :)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ya know... I was thinking Amtrak should do some kind of scooter/motorcycle package - that would be cool to take the train someplace & be able to hop off & have your scooter for a day or two & then get on another train with your scoot
I know.... off topic.... hey look... a bird... I'm hungry
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

amtrack only has one auto train route any more and that is lorton va to sanford fl motorcycles start at 112 bucks
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

$112 bucks isnt bad
Amtrak should have a motorcycle/scooter option on all trains
It would be great to take the train from Chicago & head west & be able to jump off with my scoot & explore
I could really spend a week or two doing that
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I swung by Scooterworks (Genuine) today to check out what they had for Stellas

They have six in stock (I think all 09s) no black... but a couple red, couple blue, a green, and an orange
Unfortunatally they are only coming down to around $2,900 + they are not looking for any trades

I really would have liked to take this one home... it was waiting for me at the door
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

The orange is spoken for, I was at my dealers last week when a guy and his cute texting GF bought it. 2900 clams is an awesome price.
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Go buy the silver one for $1200!

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/1739829406.html

And then spend $30 on a Haynes manual :wink:
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I agree 2,900 is a good price
but.... for 2,400 I will drive the 3 hours each way to Wisconsin (this Saturday if it isn't sold)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

lmyers wrote:Go buy the silver one for $1200!

39,000 miles scares me...
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Yeah, but only 10k on the motor. That's nothing but an opportunity to learn how to work on your ride :D
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

ScootLemont wrote:
lmyers wrote:Go buy the silver one for $1200!

39,000 miles scares me...
whats to be scared of
stop by scooter works get the mazz full circle crank a dr bbk do a bit of porting
then have at it
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

leaving at 9am Saturday to hopefully buy the black 09 in wisconsin
- keep your fingers crossed for me
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

ScootLemont wrote:leaving at 9am Saturday to hopefully buy the black 09 in wisconsin
- keep your fingers crossed for me
Good Luck! :wink:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

On the road right now
150 more miles