Delivering pie

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mikeybel

Delivering pie

Post by Mikeybel »

I am thinking of putting my blackjack into pizza delivery service. Anyone have experience delivering pizza or other large items have any advice for me? I'm looking into mountable cargo boxes to hold pies. Will this work with the buddy mounts or should I just stick with the cage? I just know I can ship more on a scoot. Thanks for advice!
Kaos

Re: Delivering pie

Post by Kaos »

Mikeybel wrote:I am thinking of putting my blackjack into pizza delivery service. Anyone have experience delivering pizza or other large items have any advice for me? I'm looking into mountable cargo boxes to hold pies. Will this work with the buddy mounts or should I just stick with the cage? I just know I can ship more on a scoot. Thanks for advice!
I've carried a pizza on the scoot, but I've never tried to do more than 1. I'd think you could likely rig up a pie carrier on the back rack fairly easily though.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Not sure where you find these now-a-days but this is what you need. I think Mike at NoHo had one...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Peter Parker did it on something way smaller than a buddy. With a little thought I think you could do it pretty easy. Good luck, and post pics if you do it.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
scootergator

Post by scootergator »

Kabootz, Thats a TGB Delivery. It comes in 50 and 150cc. Some dealers wont honor the warranty if you use it commercially though.
"You cant live in this world but where else can you go?" -Jack Kerouac
Mikeybel

Post by Mikeybel »

I'm thinking about a box design made out of thin sheet metal and insulated with 1" of polyiso. A rear hatch with a simple lock should do the trick. Now the question is: how much weight can I realisticly carry on 3 'bolts'? I might just shed some body work and see if I can weld on a couple additional threaded rods to the frame for additional support.
Kaje

Post by Kaje »

you need something like this

http://www.teamworld.com.tw/universal/n ... ?serial=65

but I don't know if you can get them in the united states.
Mikeybel

Post by Mikeybel »

I think your onto somethin' Kaje.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

bigbropgo wrote:Peter Parker did it on something way smaller than a buddy. With a little thought I think you could do it pretty easy.
That's like saying that with a little thought, someone could be Spider-Man. :)

My thought: A big 16" square piece of MDF attached to the rear rack. Then, a pizza bag attached to the MDF with zip ties or something like that. You might need some kind of additional closure. Should work.

Won't keep the toppings from sliding when you tilt the scoot, though. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

ericalm wrote: My thought: A big 16" square piece of MDF attached to the rear rack. Then, a pizza bag attached to the MDF with zip ties or something like that. You might need some kind of additional closure. Should work.

Won't keep the toppings from sliding when you tilt the scoot, though. :)
Take 1/4" plywood (MDF is heavy and not great in rain without a good sealing coat) and cut out a square that's big enough for the bag to fit on without over-hanging, then add sides and a front to keep bungee cords from crushing the bag/boxes. Use corner brackets to reinforce the corners (since it's only 1/4" material). It'll end up being a lot like a tiny pickup bed without the tailgate. You could paint that any color you like then coat it with a good sealer so it can stay on worry free, should it see rain. Throw in a few screw-on D-rings for a bungee net and you're golden.

The toppings should stay in place as long as they don't get tilted during stoplights, actually better on a good lean in a turn on a bike (same forces that keep the tires locked on the pavement) versus the ramped shape of a car seat and "slinging" motion that 4 planted wheels will exert on a pizza's bounty in a turn.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
michelle_7728

Delivering Pie

Post by michelle_7728 »

Funny!--I had someone ask me, some time last summer, whether I used my scooter for delivering pizza. I think with some modifications to make it more level, it probably could. :lol:

The pictures in the following thread are of my scooter. The laptop bag shown on there is around 15 pounds, and the wooden platform weighs 3-5 pounds. I commuted with it for several months last year with no issues, and plan to do again this year.

viewtopic.php?t=14443&highlight=platform

If you come up with something, please share. Interesting topic. :D
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
PIStaker

Pizza Carrier

Post by PIStaker »

When I lived in Sydney the Domino's mostly all delivered by scooter.
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

In the US, how do delivery drivers get compensated when they use their own vehicles?
Is it usually based on MPG plus wear and tear or is it a flat fee per delivery?
TVB

Post by TVB »

Perkussion wrote:In the US, how do delivery drivers get compensated when they use their own vehicles?
Is it usually based on MPG plus wear and tear or is it a flat fee per delivery?
I don't know about pizza delivery, but in general employees usually get a flat per-mile reimbursement for on-the-job use of their vehicles, which is supposed to cover wear-and-tear and fuel costs. I'm pretty sure I come out ahead when I use my scooter. :)
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Try this basket, 15x21 inches would that be big enough? It's the big brother to what I now have.
http://waldsports.com/index.cfm/wald157basket.html
Mikeybel

Post by Mikeybel »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Good stuff.
I just got off the phone with my brother who is into duct work and metal fabrication. He seems to think that we can construct the box using thin galvinized aluminum rivited at the seams. We can use clear caulk before riviting to keep out weather. The inside will be lined with 1" of pollyiso (rigid foam board) which has 6.5 R per inch to keep that food extra warm while I'm using all 150cc's (or 149 or whatever) the rear hatch will be gasketed. The mounts are still in the works. The design will be lighter than a plywood box and weatherproof. I'll post some pics when things get moving!
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

oops
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

If Pizza Schmizza can do it with a bicycle, why not with a scooter? They put the box up front.
Vic

Post by Vic »

pdxrita wrote:If Pizza Schmizza can do it with a bicycle, why not with a scooter? They put the box up front.
[/img]
:shock: Holy crap, how much does that thing weigh? Their delivery drivers must look like gods (ok, at least from the hips down).

-v
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Vic wrote:
pdxrita wrote:If Pizza Schmizza can do it with a bicycle, why not with a scooter? They put the box up front.
[/img]
:shock: Holy crap, how much does that thing weigh? Their delivery drivers must look like gods (ok, at least from the hips down).

-v
Heh. I've never actually seen anyone riding this contraption - I walk past it, or one like it, pretty frequently downtown. But I have seen other bicycle delivery services and there are plenty of very muscular bicyclists around town. There's a coffee delivery company that supplies our student run cafe that pulls a very large trailer with their bike.
bunny

Post by bunny »

Moxie Scooters in Colleyville, TX has/had a Stella rigged up with a pizza delivery box (or rather, an insulated box).

I don't know if he still has it, this was a couple of years ago. It makes for a great idea, though!

Another option is to buy the lightweight corrugated plastic and frame a rectangular box to fit the pizza delivery bag inside.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

Mikeybel

Post by Mikeybel »

@pdxrita: holy crap! That's one bomber bicycle. Custom frame, sm front tire, and that rockin' front fork stand that seems to blend in with the bike rack. Wow.
michelle_7728

Delivering Pie

Post by michelle_7728 »

A few years back both my husband and I (when we had just met) both had extra part time jobs delivering pizzas.

They used to pay your hourly rate, then 50 cents a delivery. Tips were what made it worthwhile. 50 cents does not cover gas and wear and tear on a car.

Delivering pizzas on a scooter I think would be fun (well, except in the rain on the steep hills we have around here...)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

pdxrita wrote:
Vic wrote:
[/img]

-v
Heh. I've never actually seen anyone riding this contraption - I walk past it, or one like it, pretty frequently downtown. But I have seen other bicycle delivery services and there are plenty of very muscular bicyclists around town. There's a coffee delivery company that supplies our student run cafe that pulls a very large trailer with their bike.
Heh, they never get used. Most of the Pizza Schmizza's have one, but they're more of a out-front sign than an actual delivery bike. The Schmizza in Beaverton has one like that that's a trike, and the one that used to be in Oregon City had a delivery tandem. :)
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

oops
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

ericalm wrote:Won't keep the toppings from sliding when you tilt the scoot, though. :)
yeah, that'd definitely be a bigger problem than storage.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Pizza,Ice Cream,Coffee,Cargo,Etc. Getcha a CargoBee Scooter.Make money! :D

www.cargobee.com
Attachments
cargobee ijscokar1 01.JPG
cargobee ijscokar1 01.JPG (108.7 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Cargobee3JPG1233254053.jpg
Cargobee3JPG1233254053.jpg (17.39 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
Aerosmith, None Other.