Genuine Classic Cruiser?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PeterC

Genuine Classic Cruiser?

Post by PeterC »

I haven't heard any news about Genuine's proposed 270-300cc Classic Cruiser in months. Has the project been abandoned or what?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

you and me both wonder! I was the original obsessed fan. Every now and then I do a search and check the old threads wondering the status. I really wanted to continue the Genuine love,but I could not take it anymore and got a nice used GTS 250. I love it to death, but the problem is my spouse got a taste of the action when I accidendally let him ride it and now he is looking for more powerful, velvety ride in a sweet looking package. I have been putting him off..."oh just wait for the cruiser, um 2010, oh I mean 2011..."

I am not sure if our household budget can handle 2 of these GTS mistresses so yeah, I am hoping Genuine comes through.... or another fair deal on a used GTS .
dwayneed

Post by dwayneed »

The most recent webcast with Phil he talks about it. At the time of the web cast it had gone to clay he talked as if it would arrive in 2011. You should be able to find the webcast on Genuine's website.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

I was just talking about this scooter at my deal, Scooterville MN, and I was told it is still in the R&D stages. Hopefully we will hear something in the near futures. It sound like it is going to be worth the wait.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Sounds as if it might be ready to show—not sell—by late fourth quarter and will be at the various shows in late '10 and early '11.

What I do know is this: It's not vaporware and Genuine has put a lot into making this scooter real.

Like a lot of people, I'm lusting after the idea of this scoot but appreciate that they're taking their time and being sensible about when to launch it. It's a brand new design—Genuine's first—and they're taking the time to get it right, as they did with the Stella 4T.

2010 is also a horrible year to try to introduce new models. Notice all the dealers dumping '09 scooters just so they could make room for '10s of the same models? Asking dealers to stock up on three new models is pretty tough now. The market is recovering slowly. Winning over new Genuine fans with the Stella 4T and Blur 220 will help pave the way for the Big One in 2011.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

I'm definitely planning on buying this new scooter when it does arrive. The ONLY factor that could change my mind is the way it looks. They say it'll look like something between a Buddy and a Stella so I'm optimistic! Can't wait to see a picture...
evilscooterkitty

Post by evilscooterkitty »

Yes, Phil did mention it on his last show with us:

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/au ... 5&cmd=apop

From what I know, it is "in process" in Taiwan and MAY be ready near the end of 2010 or early in 2011.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

GrittyTacoman wrote:I'm definitely planning on buying this new scooter when it does arrive. The ONLY factor that could change my mind is the way it looks. They say it'll look like something between a Buddy and a Stella so I'm optimistic! Can't wait to see a picture...
I haven't seen it but from what I hear it's heavily influenced by touring scooters like the Fuji Rabbit and European scooters like the Maicoletta. Basically, all my favorite scooters ever! :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ericalm wrote:I haven't seen it but from what I hear it's heavily influenced by touring scooters like the Fuji Rabbit and European scooters like the Maicoletta.
Holy cruising scooters, Batman! You mean this fella could actually resemble my own all time favorite - the Zundapp Bella? And I didn't think I had a dog in this fight.
Attachments
VitorCampos_Bella.jpg
VitorCampos_Bella.jpg (190.59 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I really hope it happens. The design sounds killer. I am trying to keep the spouse off the vespa and it is not easy. As far as trying to get him to hold out for this cruiser, I have told him he can't ride a metel scooter in the salt so I have been able to put him off from getting a gts. He rides in really nasty weather so it would be ruined. I use the buddy in the worst of winter and it is a champ without a bit of rust.

I hope the suspension/ride will be nice too. I am worried about the economic conditions though...it seems all kinds of scooters are collecting dust. :( Gas keeps going up so maybe there is hope.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I too am not so patietly waiting for this scooter. It would be nice if they would at least release a pic, but I understand they don't want the buzz to fade before the scooter is actually for sale. I've thought about the just getting the new blur 220i since it will be in dealers real soon but the sport scooter just isn't my thing. I'll just have to hold out and hope that they actually hit dealers within a year or so :cry:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

How about a contest anyone who wants to make a visual of what they think this scooter will look like post it up.The one who comes closest to the real deal wins.What should the winner receive though,money,fame,a prize?
Aerosmith, None Other.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

well one of our members...was it illinois?...has seen an archtype or would that be prototype? :lol: anyway they could not take a pic, but described it. the thread is somehwere here or on two stroke buzz. Anyone remember this or did I dream it and now think it is real?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The scoot in Dooglas' post is pure hawtness! Throw some brass inlaid walnut panels on the sides, and a few extra analog dials and doo-dads and you've got a Steampunk wet dream. I've never been able to pull that steampunk thing off, but it's always caught my eye.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Lostmycage wrote:The scoot in Dooglas' post is pure hawtness! Throw some brass inlaid walnut panels on the sides, and a few extra analog dials and doo-dads and you've got a Steampunk wet dream. I've never been able to pull that steampunk thing off, but it's always caught my eye.
Okay, I'm confused (nothing new there); what is this "Steampunk" reference? I've seen the word before, but have no idea what it means ... a generational thing, I guess.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

It's a sort of art style (the way I look at it) that mixes time periods and technology, usually based around steam powered engines.

Google image search for "steampunk" for some examples.

Some people take it seriously. It's pure fantasy, and not really practical, but some of the stuff is completely elegant and timeless. I like it because it combines sculpture and woodworking and sometimes actual engineering to create, well... just really neat stuff.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

Lostmycage wrote:The scoot in Dooglas' post is pure hawtness! Throw some brass inlaid walnut panels on the sides, and a few extra analog dials and doo-dads and you've got a Steampunk wet dream. I've never been able to pull that steampunk thing off, but it's always caught my eye.
Like the walnut panels. But how 'bout Corinthian leather?
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

ericalm wrote: I haven't seen it but from what I hear it's heavily influenced by touring scooters like the Fuji Rabbit and European scooters like the Maicoletta. Basically, all my favorite scooters ever! :)
Hey Eric, here's a Fuji fixer-upper for you.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fuji-Rab ... 255a4af57c
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

Dooglas wrote:
ericalm wrote:I haven't seen it but from what I hear it's heavily influenced by touring scooters like the Fuji Rabbit and European scooters like the Maicoletta.
Holy cruising scooters, Batman! You mean this fella could actually resemble my own all time favorite - the Zundapp Bella? And I didn't think I had a dog in this fight.
Really like the look of the Zundapp. Wouldn't mind this at all. The Zundapp and the pics of the Fuji and Maicoletta I saw, all seemed to have a lower profile. Is this something inherent in a "touring" or "cruiser-style" scooter?
Francois Donadet

Post by Francois Donadet »

I was trying to think of a name for the new cruiser and while I like "Big Buddy" I also started thinking of fifties station wagons like "Nomad" or "Rambler" with a special "Jackalope" edition with tasteful tan leather saddle bags. Just pure speculation I don't know anything.

And I always desribe steampunk as sci-fi as imagined in the Victorian era.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

charlie55 wrote:
ericalm wrote: I haven't seen it but from what I hear it's heavily influenced by touring scooters like the Fuji Rabbit and European scooters like the Maicoletta. Basically, all my favorite scooters ever! :)

Too bad I don't have any money. Or maybe a good thing that I don't have any. I'll hold out for a Superflow 200. :)
Francois Donadet wrote:I was trying to think of a name for the new cruiser and while I like "Big Buddy" I also started thinking of fifties station wagons like "Nomad" or "Rambler" with a special "Jackalope" edition with tasteful tan leather saddle bags. Just pure speculation I don't know anything.

And I always desribe steampunk as sci-fi as imagined in the Victorian era.
I think it's got a name already. George or something like that…
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I desperately await the new scoot with $5K burning a hole in my pocket! C'mon Genuine! Get 'r Done!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Syd

Post by Syd »

I'd be happy to hold that for you, pugbuddy.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

If it looks like a Maicoletta, I wouldn't care if they called it Fred!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

charlie55 wrote:

Man that is nice. And for only$800!!! If I were any where near there I would buy it.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |