Got my Buddy 125! (finally)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JeremyZ

Got my Buddy 125! (finally)

Post by JeremyZ »

I'm going to make this thread kind of a journal of the ownership of my Buddy 125, which I just picked up yesterday morning. I'll start with a bit of history.

For the record, my first scooter was a 2006 Honda Metropolitan; sold that a few days ago via ebay Motors to help pay for Bud.

My neighbor enjoying a ride on the Metro after questioning my sexual preference for buying a scooter. How does that crow taste, B1TCH?

JeremyZ

Post by JeremyZ »

The first pix, while still at the stealership, are attached.

First Impressions
The last scooter I rode was the Metro, so there were some high expectations as far as quality is concerned. This is what I noticed on the ride home:
  • Fit & finish of the Buddy is not in the same league as Honda. Nothing is wrong, it's just that not everything is creamy smooth like on the Honda. For instance, the switches aren't quite as smooth in their operation. The seat has to be pounded in order to latch properly. These are not huge things, but they were not too small for Honda's attention.
  • The ride quality is also not in the same league. It is a much bumpier ride. The suspension works, it's just that I feel the bumps a lot more. Granted, the City of Elgin has some of the worst roads in Illinois, so it is partly due to that. I haven't double-checked the tire pressure yet either, so I assume both tires are at 30 psi, per spec.
  • The engine is a powerhouse! It cruises at 50 (indicated) as easily as the Metro cruised at 30. 40 like the Metro at 25. 55 like the Metro at 35, and 60+ like the Metro at 40.
  • The seat height is quite a bit higher than the Metro. At 5'8" tall with a 30 inseam, I either have to stand up or tiptoe at the stoplights. No biggie, as scooters are so darned easy to balance. Shorties like me will have to get used to this. (and they do, there is this one tiny Asian girl over at Modern Buddy who has a pink one, and she does fine!)
  • It corners more aggressively than the Metro. I don't know what it is about the Metro, but in comparison, it seems like the Metro likes being upright, and if you want to crank it over, you really need to keep it there. On the Buddy, it is just as neutral leaned way over as it is perfectly up straight.
  • The front storage bin is AWESOME. It goes all the way into the front fairing on the left side. There is lots of room in there, and it still has the grocery hook too.
  • There isn't quite as much foot room on the Buddy as on the Metro, and the floorboard is kind of curved. It's still comfy, but there isn't as much room forward of the rider to move his feet around. Since it has the passenger footrest area, there is more room to move one's feet rearward, which is nice.
  • The top of the leg shield has that sexy taper to it, but it also means that there isn't as much wind protection for the rider's knees. To get one's knees completely into the still air, one has to press one's knees together. The Metro was no champ in this area either, but was slightly better. Not a huge deal.
  • The brakes don't seem to fade. I didn't notice much brake fade on the Metro either, but the Buddy makes it apparent just how much there was on the Metro. I had been compensating manually on the Metro, I guess. The Buddy stops right now whereas to stop quickly from top speed on the Metro, I had to gradually apply more and more brake. Chalk this up to having a disc brake up front.
  • My 2000 vintage Shoei RF-800 size L helmet just fits under the seat and allows it to lock. There's a dent in the bottom of the Buddy seat which was probably put there expressly for that purpose. Nice!
  • I like the location of the gas filler area on the Buddy better than the Metro. I didn't have to bend or squat down to fill 'er up. Also, I like the simple twist off, twist on action. Not that the key-locked Metro cap was a pain, but this simple old-fashioned cap was refreshing. The little horizontal bar inside the Metro tank was nice. With the Buddy, it is tricky getting it full. If I just stick the nozzle all the way down into the Buddy's tank, it cuts off too early. if I lift it out to see what I'm doing, it splashes a bit. It's a fair trade.
  • The Buddy vibrates/shakes more than the Metro. This is partly due to the fact that the engine is 150% bigger than the Metro's, I'm sure, but also possibly the Buddy's engine is not rubber-mounted. (I don't know if the Metro's is) It shakes at stop lights. During riding, the handlebars shake a bit, but just enough so that I'm aware of the engine, never enough to put my hands to sleep.
  • The mirrors are not set wide enough, just like on the Metro. If you want to see behind you, you have to set them such that you normally see elbows. Then, to see behind you, you tuck in. The mirrors don't adjust as smoothly as the Honda's. The left one is downright difficult to change the orientation of.
  • Quick note vs. the Vino 125: My knees don't hit anything. On the Vino, the right one hit the cancerous lump of an ignition switch and the left one hit the fuel gauge. Easily solved by moving back a bit, but I shouldn't have to. This is noteworthy because I'm not particularly tall.
  • After riding the Metro for a few months, it is very refreshing to easily keep up with traffic. The engine just hums along, and it cruises comfortably at 50 mph.
More pix later, and more comments as I form my long-lasting opinions of this bike. If this turns out to be a reliable bike, it will have been a good purchase. Coming from Hondas, I am on the alert. With Honda, there is never any question. Other companies have to prove that they're good. Honda has earned that reputation, and it has been proven 30 years ago.

Looking back at this post, it seems like I am disappointed, quality-wise compared to the Metro. But that's not it. It just doesn't FEEL as high quality as the Metro. (fit & finish) Whether it is or not, we will have to see.

PGO is considered the premier scooter company in Taiwan. Is this because Hondas are too expensive or because these are seriously good and cost less.

The happy new owner

JeremyZ

Post by JeremyZ »

I like the grips. They fill the palm of the hand nicely, and make for less effort to hold the throttle open.

It's going to have to go without the rack & Givi box for a while, while I recover from buying it. :oops:

I can't wait to get some more rides in on it. There are some local roads that I could have fun on the Metrol at 40 mph. They will be even more fun on the Buddy at 50, hehehe.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I think I'm going to enjoy this little guy. It seems like the perfect size for a scooter. Small enough to be agile & handy, big enough to leave town, small enough that I don't question whether I should have gotten a smaller motorcycle instead.
JeremyZ

Post by JeremyZ »

Mods: Once this thread gets a little older and I stop updating it, feel free to move it to the Reviews forum.
codemonkey

Post by codemonkey »

I hear creme goes fastest 8)
Kristy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
rob_fuel

Post by rob_fuel »

I'm planning a post similar to this one soon. I rode my brand-new 125 to work for the first time today and couldn't be more pleased.
JeremyZ

Post by JeremyZ »

codemonkey wrote:I hear creme goes fastest 8)
You are everywhere, codemonkey! :lol:
codemonkey

Post by codemonkey »

Not everywhere. Just here, UrbanScootin and ScooterDiva.
Kristy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
SirLexelot

Post by SirLexelot »

Hey,

nice new scoot! Good call on getting a Buddy 125, I really think they're the best band-for-the-buck in the scooter world right now.

Having also started my scooting career on a Honda Metro, I have to disagree with your quality assessment on the Buddy. My girlfriend and I each had a Metro at one point, and I have to say that the Buddy's overall quality is significantly higher than either Metro.

The Metro's quality very much felt like what it is: an afterthought for a big car/engine/motorcycle company that felt it should have SOMETHING in that market space.

The Buddy, on the other hand, is made by a scooter company - that's what PGO does. To latch the seat, just drop it from height (don't gently put it down and try to push it shut). I think all the controls and the display on the Buddy have a much cleaner fit and finish to them.

Also, as for the suspension, the Metro feeling like you're riding in a tub of butter on a road of clouds suspended in jello is NOT a good thing. You actually WANT a stiffer suspension that responds more quickly to road conditions. It's all a matter of what you're used to, of course.

Anyway, I think that the metro is a fantastic starter scooter, but one that people graduate from fairly quickly.

That's my 2 cents!
Keys

Post by Keys »

...letsee...reliability. I got the scooter new in August of last year and have put over 7200 HARD miles on it. The only things to go wrong have been a bad ground from the coil and the oil filter vibrated loose and I experienced a momentary oil loss. The engine makes a little more noise now, but still is as strong as ever and I've put over 2000 trouble free miles on it since, including one 400 mile weekend. I do all my own maintenance (since my dealer is over 200 miles away) and have found it all to be pretty darn simple. I've gone through a rear tire and that's about it...

From my perspective, I can confidently say this is a reliable scooter.

And I have another over 300 mile weekend starting tomorrow...its the "Scarabs Scooter Club's" annual "Skull Valley Rally". Phoenix to Prescott (through the mountains) and back, spending the night in Prescott. Part of the mileage is I have to travel 100+ miles to Phoenix first so I can start with the others!

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

When my latch cable is properly adjusted my seat latches with a gentle push and a satisfying snik. It does seem like it needs adjusting every 500 miles or so.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
JeremyZ

Post by JeremyZ »

I'll have to look into adjusting that cable, and the idle. (which is too slow now)

Is the idle screw just underneath the hatch under the seat? I'm sure I can find it, but I may as well ask the guys who've done it.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

my sales rep showed me how to shut the seat: don't try to slam it shut, instead put the seat in place and then press down about 1/3 forward from the rear. click, it catches. works like a charm every time!
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
louie

Post by louie »

gt1000 wrote:When my latch cable is properly adjusted my seat latches with a gentle push and a satisfying snik. It does seem like it needs adjusting every 500 miles or so.
latch cable?

i have latch issues too. at first i could snap it in place by pushing above the latch, then it became more difficult until i was slamming it down which throws it off alignment sometimes probly making it worse. I wiggle the spring some which helps but still doesnt' snap shut like it should.
JeremyZ

Post by JeremyZ »

SirLexelot wrote:Having also started my scooting career on a Honda Metro, I have to disagree with your quality assessment on the Buddy.
I guess time & mileage will tell!
The Metro's quality very much felt like what it is: an afterthought for a big car/engine/motorcycle company that felt it should have SOMETHING in that market space.
I agree that they felt like they should have something in this marketplace. But Honda does not do ANYTHING as an afterthought. Honda actually started his business in the 1950s making the equivalent of what is now scooters. First, he was a Toyota employee. Then, he started his own business in piston rings. (and sold them to Toyota!) Next, he made accessory engines for bicycles. Then, small motorcycles, then large motorcycles, then cars, then everything else: generators, lawn mowers, and now, even a business jet. Now Honda has half of Toyota's car market. Don't confuse a soft ride with low quality or a lack of company focus.

Well, three days into ownership, and I've got 120 miles on it. Will probably click over 200 today and do the fluids change.

Idle Setting Question
How do you all adjust your idle? From the dealer, it would start, but then as soon as the auto-choke was off, it would die when cold. I bumped it up so it would idle when cold when the auto-choke was off. But when it is warm, it idles pretty derned fast now. I'm looking for a good compromise, to where it will idle when it is 40° out, and not be too fast when it is 100° and warmed up.
JeremyZ

Post by JeremyZ »

Fixed the idle. Now it idles a little fast when warm, but at least it doesn't die out when cold.

I rode over 130 miles today, and changed the oils.

One thing I thought I'd share with you all is my oil pan. Some have expressed angst that spilling oil seems necessary when doing oil changes on the Buddy 125. I cut the side out of a gallon oil container and made an oil pan out of it. It fits right between the centerstand legs and can (just) catch oil from the filter hole and the drain hole at the same time. Plus, since its walls are so thin, it can be put right against the rear tire to catch the gear oil!

When I'm done, I just remove the cap and pour it into the used oil storage jug.

I couldn't find a syringe for the gear oil that Keys was talking about at my local AutoZone. I just put the oil in until the final gearbox was full. That's how every shaft drive bike works, so it should be good enough for the Buddy too.

I was surprised to find that Wal*Mart had two different kinds of 15W-40 oil. One by Ford Motorcraft, and one by Shell Rotella. I got a kick out of the fact that Ford markets theirs for diesels; as if no other vehicle would use a 15W-40 oil...
Attachments
buddy_drain_pan2_600.jpg
buddy_drain_pan2_600.jpg (41.17 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
buddy_drain_pan_600.jpg
buddy_drain_pan_600.jpg (42.84 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
buddy_lubes_600.jpg
buddy_lubes_600.jpg (55.16 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
rajron

Post by rajron »

Should only use recommended oil levels.
Check this out:
viewtopic.php?t=306&highlight=oil+leak
JeremyZ

Post by JeremyZ »

rajron wrote:Should only use recommended oil levels.
Check this out:
viewtopic.php?t=306&highlight=oil+leak
Thanks for the link rajron. I went for about a 50 mile ride after changing the fluids. I'll go have a look at the tire, gearcase, wheel, etc. and see what's what.

I have never heard of a weep hole for gear oil, I thought it was just coolant overflow that had that...
Keys

Post by Keys »

Jeremy, filling the gearbox until it is full is NOT good! We've had other people have issues because this was done. It overfills and creates too much pressure in the gearbox causing the oil to seep out the weep-hole and cover your wheel, tire and brakes with oil. Not good. Do NOT fill the gearbox with more than 110cc/ml of oil.

By the way, I got my syringe at WalMart in the auto parts section.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
JeremyZ

Post by JeremyZ »

OK fellas, you've convinced me.

I just got back from Wal*Mart, where I bought the MixMizer syringe. It is designed for mixing 2-stroke fuel. You just inject however much 2 stroke oil as is needed into whatever gas can has your gas. It is pre-marked for that purpose.

However, on the side, it has graduations for up to 50 cc.

I drained out the gear oil that I put in yesterday, and it didn't look as clean as when I put it in. (already!) so I put that in the used oil can and put about 95cc into the gearbox.

By the time I got back from Wal*Mart on the Buddy, it was just starting to weep out, but I wouldn't say it "sprays" out. I was surprised it just started this morning instead of last night on the 50 mile ride I went on after putting it in. Bottom line: it isn't worth the risk.

Thanks for the tips.
Attachments
Here's what the packaging looks like. It's next to the plastic fuel cans and two-stroke stuff in the auto section at Wal*Mart
Here's what the packaging looks like. It's next to the plastic fuel cans and two-stroke stuff in the auto section at Wal*Mart
syringe.jpg (81.63 KiB) Viewed 1195 times