Buying Buddy 125 from a prviate party???

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

imkaryn

Buying Buddy 125 from a prviate party???

Post by imkaryn »

Hey everyone,

I found a Buddy 125 on craigslist in my area that my partner and I are thinking of buying for her (I already have my own Buddy). Its a 2007 Red Buddy 125 with approx 1700 miles on it. We are a little unsure of what we need to be aware of with a private party as I bought mine directly from Scooterworks.

I already made sure that he has the title. But here are my other questinos...

1. What do I need to look at on thursday when we go to buy it?
2. How should I pay for it? cash, money order, check, paypal?
3. Is there a way i can keep the license plate he already has for it, or do i need to get a new one? We are in Illinois.
4. Is it ok to drive it the 40 miles back home w/o a license plate, or should we put your plate on it?

Any other insights on buying from a private party?

Thanks everybody!!!!
Vic

Post by Vic »

As for license plates and such, check with your BMV, I know that you can get temporary tags in Ohio for a small fee. Or, you can do what I have heard :wink: rumor of people doing and that is remove the plate from your scooter and pop it onto the new one to get you home and time to get to the BMV for your own plates. These are license plates we are talking about here, and I don't know specifically about your state, but plates are not transferable from one party to another.

Definitely do NOT ride it on a public road without a license plate, that would be like a magnet for the cops and operating a vehicle without a license is just asking for a ticket.

How to pay for it is probably going to be up to the seller and how they are willing to accept the payment, I would be surprised if they are willing to accept a check.

When I bought mine I just paid for it in cash, but I would suggest that you exercise caution and maybe have the seller meet you in a very public location for the transaction. Just as you would with any situation where you are meeting a stranger, be very careful. You might recruit at least a few friends to accompany you if you are someone that looks like me (about as threatening as a kitten).

As for what to look, for, I am sure someone will be along soon to help with that. I would suggest that you ask your shop for an hour of labor and ask them to take a look at it for you. Very likely nothing will be found to be wrong, but the peace of mind would be priceless, IMHO.

-v
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

since you're in Chicago, why not arrange to meet at Scooterworks and have them do a presale inspection? Make sure the seller brings maintenance records, title, and original bill of sale copy if possible. It's just as if you were selling a car. Have them type up a formal sale receipt with item description, price, VIN #, payments received, etc, and both parties can sign it. I have no advice about license plate legality, but I would take my other scooters plate and if for some unfortunate bad luck you do get tagged, show the copper the sale paperwork and hopefully they'll cut you a break. Pay with a certified cashiers check or postal money order. Good luck!
bpatrick5

Post by bpatrick5 »

Not sure what it's like in your state, but titles in AZ have to be signed and notarized by the seller for them to be transferred at the DMV. At minimum, it will tell you somewhere on the title if it must be notarized. It also couldn't hurt to create two bill of sale forms. One for you and one for the seller. You could leave blanks for sale price, VIN and seller name/address.

When a friend of mine bought a Vespa recently, he used the plate from his Aprilia for the ride home. Then, he had it registered and a new plate issued.

Also, be sure to check the licensure requirements for your partner. A 125 might require a MC endorsement.

I hope the purchase goes well. Congratulations in advance!
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

If you have any concern about the mechanical condition, ask them to (a) show all records for maintenance and/or (b) meet you at your local Buddy dealer (where you know them by name) and ask if they would give you their opinion of the bike or if they even know it.

We have purchased two used Buddy's and both had excellent records and were serviced at the local dealer, one we spoke with and they knew the Buddy and owner well.

We paid for one with a check and the other with cash. Personally with all the scams (at least in Texas) we would not accept a money order for payment of anything. If they want to use PayPal (to have a record and/or use a credit card) the buyer will pay any fees.

In Texas if the plate is NOT personalized, the buyer can keep it. If the plate IS personalized, the seller keeps the plate and can use it on another MC or Scooter which is cool as we have already switched plates on two scooters and no one can ever get our personalized plates. You should be fine using the regular plate on the scooter (call MV to confirm in your state) as long as it is still current.
PhoenixScoot

Post by PhoenixScoot »

I just bought mine from a private seller on craigslist a couple saturdays ago.

In OK we had to get him to have the title notarized before it was officially signed over so just read the title closely before taking off.

Take it for a test drive to make sure everything runs properly.

Test all the switches (blinkers, electric start, etc..) because any little mishap can bring the price down.

Ask him/her if they are stuck at that price tag. When I bought mine the guy was asking $1680 and all we did was ask him if he was stuck there and he said no, not really and brought it down to $1500.

Always pay in cash. That can be a point for him/her to take a lower price since he would get the money immediately.

P.S. They are probably scuff marks from shoes all over the inside just from normal wear and tear but a Magic Eraser will take them right out with no problem.

Good luck with the purchase!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I would not count on getting a test ride. Many people are not going to allow this for insurance reasons alone, yet alone theft and boneheads.

When we were selling my husbands buddy some women that came to look at it got bent out of shape she could not take a test ride (no endorsment, never rode before) and then she did offer to buy it with a CHECK (lol) for way under the asking price. All in scooter madness 2008 where those games were not played. in the end we had someone drive 4 hours to come get it for cash, for near asking price. We allowed a test drive to the spouse because he had an endorsement. So you have to be sensible. I actually felt bad for them. We live in the innercity, and it got to be late sunday night (party time in the nearby public housing) the gunfire (I said fireworks) started to crackle so you better believe they strapped that buddy in the truck fast.

But I digress

I like the idea of meeting at the scooter shop and paying a fee for them to inspect and transfer. Or meet at your DMV and that way you an walk right in and get your tags .
dustyembury

title and notary

Post by dustyembury »

+1 on the title/notary check. I bought my buddy from a private seller and he signed the title but didn't have it notarized (I didn't notice) and then couldn't register it in my name. In the mean time, he moved and it was months before I lucked into finding him again!

Good luck!

Dusty
LuvMyScoot

Post by LuvMyScoot »

When I bought my Buddy (from a private seller on Craigslist) we met at a state park 1/2 way between each of our houses. The seller was very forthcoming about what she considered the Buddy's flaws ("The rear break is a bit squishy. Um, can't think of anything else."), had the original bill of sale and maintenance records and insisted I take it for a test run. I loved the Buddy so I paid in cash and she signed over the title, which I then took to the CT DMV to get temp plates. The next week I got a ride to the sellers house to pick up the scoot and bring her home.
For me buying my Buddy from a private seller was a very positive experience.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

When I bought mine here in Pa. I met the seller at a title transfer place, they charge you $50 to do what you can do IF you wanted to go to the DMV. We exchanged cash, I paid the necessary state fees and rode home with my scoot with it's brand new plate. New title in my name came in the mail some weeks later......