NSR - Nook ebook

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootLemont

NSR - Nook ebook

Post by ScootLemont »

I just got a Nook for my birthday yesterday - REALLY like it
Figured out last night how to change the wallpaper & screensaver - the screensaver isnt like on a PC - it stays up until you turn it on again
so... this is what it looks like when ever I am not reading

Last edited by ScootLemont on Wed May 19, 2010 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

LOL I put a pic of my scooter on my nook as the wallpaer :lol: The nook is super awesome, I bought mine as a happy tax return present to myself.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I have only ready 80 pages on it... but I reall like it
I will be great for my cruise next month - dont have to lug the 2 new release hardcovers I am planning on reading
bluezurich

Post by bluezurich »

Funny, we ebayed my wife's nook and my hackintosh dell 9 incher for an ipad, best technological switch we ever made, and made a few bucks.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

the ipad is why i have the nook
I really wanted one - they are very cool - a giant iphone that dosent make calls (I joke)
I borrowed one for a weekend & tried to read from it... I just cant read a book from a back lit screen & I was after a device to read from (read on?)
I read a lot - 3 or 4 books a month - & I have a macbook & PC laptops for net surfing.... so I was after a reader & the ipad just didnt do it for me
I borrowed another friends kindle for a couple days & liked the screen on that - same screen on the nook - but I like the nooks design better so I went with that over the kindle
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

lmyers

Post by lmyers »

I LOVE my nook. If you go in a Barnes and Noble store every week for the next 5 weeks, they'll give you a code for a free book. This is in addition to the title they offer every Friday.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Any book?
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Nah, it's kinda like the free music on iTunes. Some really good, some ridiculously bad. Although the books available on both this week are by decent authors. When you go to shop, scroll down to the annoying advertisement on the bottom and then page through to the fifth page and you'll be able to download the "Free Friday" book there. I haven't taken the time to go into the store yet this week, so I'm not sure exactly how that's working.

I've put the Stella repair manual on my nook so I no longer have to drag the huge book out. I also put my current crochet pattern on it :) Very handy
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

I got a Nook too! I LOVE it!!! I have loaded a ton of stuff on it and can't believe how awesome it is to have your library at your fingertips. It's also how I studied for my motorcycle permit.
jasondavis48108

I put the BUddy service manual on my nook but it didn't work so well :(
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

I'm a Nook owner too! I still have my RCA ebook reader. I was happy with that but they kinda went belly up and didn't offer new content.
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
Syd

Post by Syd »

E-Readers have intrigued me ever since C Spot Run on my Palm Vx. Not sure I would ever buy one, but I consider it regularly. So a question: why a Nook instead of a Kindle?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jasondavis48108

Syd wrote:So a question: why a Nook instead of a Kindle?
I got the nook instead of the Kindle mainly because nook read epub format which allows me to check out e-books from my local library whereas kindle doesn't support epub so I would have been limited to buying all my books which is dangerous :lol:

also with the nook it is very easy to back-up my purchased e-books to my pc so that I'm not worried about BNN pulling a stunt like Amazon did with 1984 and animal farm and erasing a book from my nook since I have a back-up of all my content.
TVB

Post by TVB »

jasondavis48108 wrote:I put the BUddy service manual on my nook but it didn't work so well :(
They haven't developed universal-translator software for the Nook yet.
jasondavis48108

TVB wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:I put the BUddy service manual on my nook but it didn't work so well :(
They haven't developed universal-translator software for the Nook yet.
yeah, it basically tries to display PDFs the same way it would on a PC monitor and well that doesn't work so hot when your screen is only 6in, very, very tiny diagrams :lol:
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Syd wrote:E-Readers have intrigued me ever since C Spot Run on my Palm Vx. Not sure I would ever buy one, but I consider it regularly. So a question: why a Nook instead of a Kindle?
First off - I like the way the nook looks a a lot better than the kindle - I just dont see the point in a physical qwerty keyboard - what is this 2004?

the kindle does not have a memory slot (my nook wont be my primary music player, but I will sometimes so the ability to add storage was important to me)

WIFI - the Nook has it / kindle does not - not that important for downloading books but very important on the next point

Nook has a web browser! - ok... so it is slow to draw the screens when you are on the web & I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time using it for the web... but when you want to quickly read email, check a sports score, or see the weather forecast you can do it on the nook - you cant on the kindle.

The deal breaker for me was that the nook runs on the Android operating system (that is what powers all the new android phones, like my Motorola Droid) It does not look or work like Android, but it is there. This enables future apps & upgrades. at the end of April the Nook received an upgrade & all of a sudden nook users had the web browser, a couple games & a few other little things. Its a good bet that B&N will use this flexibility to keep features of the Nook ahead of the kindle. Sales falling? they can just send out an update with a few more android apps (I would like to see the Google maps app!)

I like the kindle & almost bought one before the nook came out but the kindle is like ereader version 1.0 and the nook is ereader version 2.0
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ScootLemont wrote:
Syd wrote:E-Readers have intrigued me ever since C Spot Run on my Palm Vx. Not sure I would ever buy one, but I consider it regularly. So a question: why a Nook instead of a Kindle?
First off - I like the way the nook looks a a lot better than the kindle - I just dont see the point in a physical qwerty keyboard - what is this 2004?

the kindle does not have a memory slot (my nook wont be my primary music player, but I will sometimes so the ability to add storage was important to me)

WIFI - the Nook has it / kindle does not - not that important for downloading books but very important on the next point

Nook has a web browser! - ok... so it is slow to draw the screens when you are on the web & I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time using it for the web... but when you want to quickly read email, check a sports score, or see the weather forecast you can do it on the nook - you cant on the kindle.

The deal breaker for me was that the nook runs on the Android operating system (that is what powers all the new android phones, like my Motorola Droid) It does not look or work like Android, but it is there. This enables future apps & upgrades. at the end of April the Nook received an upgrade & all of a sudden nook users had the web browser, a couple games & a few other little things. Its a good bet that B&N will use this flexibility to keep features of the Nook ahead of the kindle. Sales falling? they can just send out an update with a few more android apps (I would like to see the Google maps app!)

I like the kindle & almost bought one before the nook came out but the kindle is like ereader version 1.0 and the nook is ereader version 2.0
In addition to all of that, I got a Nook because its based on open source software, so you can modify it and add other software that extends what the Nook is able to do. The Nook is also able to read the Kindle's ebook format (with a little work) so you can read all the Kindle books on your Nook :)

Since its based on Android you can actually run quite a lot of the Android apps on it, though many don't play nice with the e-ink display, you can scroll them around on the smaller active display.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Go here to find out about the free eBook offer that B&N is doing right now for Nooks (or Nook installed software on PC/Macs).

It'll take a little finagling to get these on my Sony Reader, hehe.

Whichever device you have, e-ink readers are just fantastic devices.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I agree
eInk is great

Now... if all the newspapers and magazines can come up with one standard so I can read the ones I want.....
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

I have the sony reader 300.
I needed a way to read anywhere including outside.
At $150 it was at my price point.

(For PDF's I use my laptop. )

Advntages: Screen size is convenient. Easy to hold. Project Gutenberg free books ready to go, and they have been proofread (unlike googlebooks)

Disadvantages: Within 3 hours I had 98 project gutenberg books on it. Honestly, you'll find you need to learn discipline. I'm down to only 3 books open at a time. I get nervous when I'm away from it.

Reading has seriously cut into my leisure and sleep time.

First book read: Arabian Nights
Last book read: Robinson Crusoe

Open books: Morte D'Arthur, My Man Jeeves, Phineas Finn
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
dakotamouse

Re: NSR - Nook ebook

Post by dakotamouse »

ScootLemont wrote:I just got a Nook for my birthday yesterday - REALLY like it
Figured out last night how to change the wallpaper & screensaver - the screensaver isnt like on a PC - it stays up until you turn it on again
so... this is what it looks like when ever I am not reading

Shoot! Forgot to wish you a happy birthday! But, you got a Nook so it must have been a good birthday! :)
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!