Need Help/Info about a Scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jperkins

Need Help/Info about a Scooter

Post by jperkins »

I am looking at buying a friend of mine a scooter as a gift. I am looking at the Kymco Agility 125. Does anyone know anything about this scooter? Is it a good one? Are there any reviews online? I would greatly be apreciative for any info anyone has.

Now as to the burning question...Why am I not buying him a Buddy.....2 reasons.....$$$$, the Kymco is $500 cheaper & ....he is two tall for the Buddy. He is about 6'4" and he tried mine out and it didnt work to well.

Thanks for any help You can offer!
BlueMark

Re: Need Help/Info about a Scooter

Post by BlueMark »

jperkins wrote:I am looking at the Kymco Agility 125. Does anyone know anything about this scooter? Is it a good one? Are there any reviews online? I would greatly be apreciative for any info anyone has.
Check out this thread: people agility 125 review(ish)

-Mark
codemonkey

Post by codemonkey »

Wow! What a friend! Can I be your friend? :lol:
Kristy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
ellen

Post by ellen »

You might want to check out the Kymco Yahoo group.
Theres a discussion going on now about how the Agility 125 is not suited for tall/large people.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kymcoscooterforum/
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

I'll be your friend! Tulsa Scooters has two(!) 1977 Honda Trail 90's on consignment, and I could use a dose of nostalgia!

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Consider a used ET4, Yamaha Vino 150 or similar scoot if available in your area. Sometimes it just takes patience. I checked out the Agility (but have not ridden one) and it didn't seem up to Kymco standards for the People and its other scoots. I know I've read similar sentiments from those who have ridden one (somewhere...).

You ARE a good friend!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jperkins

thanks

Post by jperkins »

Thaks for all the feed back
jgalar

Post by jgalar »

What brands does Tulsa Scooter carry besides the Kymcos?
They should have the Q-Link and TGB
healingpath

Post by healingpath »

Try the kymcoscooterforum at yahoo. There've been some recent posts about the Agility 125 that might be informative, plus historical posts, I think.
jgalar

Post by jgalar »

Here is a review from downunder ...
http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fAr ... tionId=759
rob_fuel

Post by rob_fuel »

One other thing I didn't put in the review(ish) post:

The Agility 125 was too small for 6' frame. I couldn't get my knees/feet into a comfortable position, which hasn't been a problem at all on the Buddy.
xtetra

Post by xtetra »

Maybe a TNG Verona 150?

http://www.tngscooters.com

I've met a guy who sells them and also rides one himself. He's not 6'4 but he is taller than me (5'9) and looked pretty comfortable. Test drove one myself but I just loved the look/feel of the Buddy. TNG does make a good scooter though, in my opinion anyway.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Actually, I am aware of at least two dealers who have quit selling TNG's because of quality, reliability and warranty issues.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
xtetra

Post by xtetra »

Thats interesting. I've met several people locally who have them (besides the dealership guy) who have been pretty happy. How many miles they have on them I can't say, but so far so good. Both owners were into their second season.

Out of curiostiy, what were the issues? I'm not saying I don't believe you or anything, I just hadn't heard anything negative from anyone yet.
jperkins

concluision

Post by jperkins »

Well after everyone's advice and my own gut feeling, I went back and got him a Buddy. THe height wasn't near the problem we thought it would be.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

And how did your friend respond to getting a scooter as a gift?!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jperkins

scooter

Post by jperkins »

He was thrilled. He had been driving a full size chevy truck and paying $75 a week in gas.
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

jgalar wrote:What brands does Tulsa Scooter carry besides the Kymcos?
They should have the Q-Link and TGB
Tulsa Scooters carries Genuine Scooter Co., QLink, TNG, TGB, Kymco, UM, CFMoto, and more.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

xtetra wrote:Maybe a TNG Verona 150?

http://www.tngscooters.com

I've met a guy who sells them and also rides one himself. He's not 6'4 but he is taller than me (5'9) and looked pretty comfortable. Test drove one myself but I just loved the look/feel of the Buddy. TNG does make a good scooter though, in my opinion anyway.
I would have to disagree with that. I liked some attributes of the one I reviewed a long time ago, but since then there have been many quality and reliability problems with them. A friend of mine had one, and it had severe problems with overheating. We discovered this in the midst of a 300 mile group ride back to Kansas City from St. Louis. TNG replaced his scooter with another model from their line. With that knowledge, I would recommend anyone considering one to consider something else instead.

I reviewed the Agility 125 in ScooterWorld magazine, so I won't rehash the details of it, but suffice it to say I was not enamored with it. It's the first Kymco I've found that I have serious qualms with.
- Bryce