Vapor lock Gas Cap Picture?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

decemberdays27

Vapor lock Gas Cap Picture?

Post by decemberdays27 »

Hello everyone, I first wanted to say thank you for all the information on this site. I am a new buddy owner and have used a lot of info from this site, so thank you, but now I have an issue that I just cannot find the answer to on here.
I saw someone mention they looked at a picture of the drilled holes in the gas cap to prevent vapor lock, but I cannot find those pictures. I wanted to drill the holes, but would love to see a pic first. If no one has one, can they give a quick tip as to where is best to drill? Do you drill on the bottom into the rubber gasket, or somewhere else?

Thank you very much, I appreciate the help!
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

Here ya go!
Actually it's a two part process. Two holes.
Attachments
p6090043_108.jpg
p6090043_108.jpg (63.98 KiB) Viewed 977 times
p6090045_680.jpg
p6090045_680.jpg (56.81 KiB) Viewed 977 times
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
decemberdays27

Post by decemberdays27 »

Great! Thank you so much for the pictures.
It seems as though I have a different gas cap then you. Mine has a rubber disc that covers the entire inside of the gas cap. I wonder if its a different, maybe vented cap... I'll probably have to go about drilling the inside hole differently.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Pfft, I'd just drill holes directly into the gas tank, that's a sure fire way of... oh right... no sarcasm flag yet...

I think the 09's came with a vented gas cap. Unless you're experiencing problems with stalling and are positive that it's because of a tank overfill, I'd not worry about drilling holes, well... anywhere. That is unless you're set on customizing your Buddy to look like a colander.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
decemberdays27

Post by decemberdays27 »

Maybe I'll just wait it out and see if it happens again. I was out on a ride a few days ago and ended up stalling 5 times, they seemed just like vapor lock issue. I took it in and the shop said there was a lot of that black goo and other junk in the gas tank, so they cleaned it all out. There wasn't an issue on my next ride, but it wasn't as hot and I wasn't going as fast, so, I guess we'll see... Thanks again
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

vapor lock is an easy fix and was a common problem. black goo and sediment trying to pass through the carb could def clog it up and cause your scoot to stall and quit. keep us posted.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR