Buddyless but getting there. Hi all.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

daglafe

Buddyless but getting there. Hi all.

Post by daglafe »

Hi folks….I’m a new guy!

I’ve been lurking on this lovely little eclectic forum for a few months as I research and learn about the wonderful world of scooters. I admit, I’ve wanted one for over 5 years now but have never taken the final plunge. I am finally very near to doing so after about 6 months of freakishly thorough research and saving up, I have decided to get a new Buddy 125 in the early Spring. That being said, I went ahead down to one of the local scooter shops and priced one out, took a look at all 4 colors and sat on a few pretending it was mine. (O.K. Maybe I’m odd, but it was fun)

Here’s what I found:

Price: $2749 + 6% sales tax. This includes assembly, shipping, testing, title, etc. So $2922 out the door. (they said the Buddy is not likely to go on sale like many of the other scooters will during winter months.)

Does this sound about right?

Warranty is 2 year with 1 year roadside. (The shop owner mentioned that if the scooter is bought with an Am. Ex. Card the warranty is increased to 3 years) I’ll have to check up on this, but sounds good, I’ll have to get a card.

Anyone heard of the American Express thing? Just curious.

So in all….I’m here, and I thank you all for the posts that are invaluable to research.

If anyone has any thoughts, words of encouragements or cautions, I’d be happy to hear them.

Cheers,

Dag
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Welcome to the "Family" Dag! You're going to love your new scoot when you finally get it. Down here in OKCity, it was $2700 out the door, but then there's tag,title and tax which came to about $200.

Sorry, can't answer the credit card thing...I have Visa :)
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
vitaminC

Re: Buddyless but getting there. Hi all.

Post by vitaminC »

Welcome to the group! :clown:

OTD price is going to vary depending on your location, the fees charged by the shop, and your local tax rate. That being said, ~$2900 is probably close to what most people have paid.

If you're buying in the Spring, it's rumored that you may also have the choice of Avocado green, though it's unclear if that color is an addition or replacement.
daglafe wrote:The shop owner mentioned that if the scooter is bought with an Am. Ex. Card the warranty is increased to 3 years) I’ll have to check up on this, but sounds good, I’ll have to get a card.

Be sure and read the fine print very carefully! My Visa also provides "extended warranty" for most items purchased, but it does exclude: "Boats, automobiles, aircraft, and any other motorized vehicles and their motors, equipment, or accessories, including trailers and other items that can be towed by or attached to any motorized vehicle." So, do your homework before you believe such a claim.

Otherwise, I'll just chime in with the standard "Safety Nazi Spiel" of: take the MSF course, invest in- and use!- quality gear, and be careful out there!
daglafe

Post by daglafe »

Thanks for the replies and welcomes. I’ll let you know if I find anything on the warranty extension with a credit card. I was actually going to pay in cash, but this might be an incentive. We’ll see.

As for safety, I’m in process of getting good gloves, protective gear etc. Even though I am pretty good on a dirt bike, I’m considering the MSF course to get street worthy. I believe that helps with license procedure anyway.

Thanks for the heads up about the avocado green. Before I went to the shop I was dead set on the cream, but upon seeing it, the orange looked much better than internet pictures. I’ll check out the avocado when I can and then have another decision on my hands. ;)

Thanks again,

Dag
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hey, Dag,
Welcome.

Sounds like you've done your research and are on your way. Most people can't wait months to get theirs... but your patience will be rewarded.

There is a small range of costs for the Buddy "out the door" depending on the various fees, costs for title and registraion, how much your dealer charges for pre-delivery inspection and set up, etc. Anything around or under $2900 is pretty much on the money.

Be sure to take into account all the other costs, which can run as much as $1000 or more: quality protective gear, insurance, cost of taking the MSF class if you choose to do so.
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

ericalm,

Good point about the cost of the extras. When I bought mine the dealer told my wife she now had a limitless future of accessories to buy for me for birthdays, Christmas, etc.

For me, the Buddy and a Sprint Helmet and gloves came to a little over $3K after taxes, fees, registration, etc.

Then there was $23 permit packet, $70 jacket, $30 lock, $115 insurance (1 year up front), $25 MSF course, $20 anti-fogger and on it goes.

Welcome Dag, I think you'll find it's worth it.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Yep... Lots of little hidden costs of ownership, but all of them are totally worth it. :D
Huh? What just happened?
daglafe

Post by daglafe »

Singing the 2 stroke blues. I’m still lurking and enjoying your posts, time to peek my head out again for a moment.

I still don’t own a Buddy!!!! What is with me? I still have this itch that I think maybe needs to be scratched with a Buddy, but while I was in the process of saving up to pay for it, I diverted the funds into a used Stella that was offered to me at an insane price. Despite my careful planned out nature, I had to jump.

Here’s my dilemma …… wait for it……..it’s kinda dumbish…..

I REALLY love this Stella. It looks great (sorry guys but I prefer the look over the Buddy), runs great, etc. etc. but being a bit of a nature lover I’m feeling really guilty about riding this beautiful polluter instead of a “cleaner” 4-stroke.

I love being a scooter guy, it’s the way to go, but I need either some validation or some good reason to stop this selfish love affair and trade in for a Buddy (or something else).

What are your thoughts on the 2 –vs- 4 stroke? Is my info about 2 stroke being a polluter accurate? Is the future Stella that has been talked about in here supposed to go 4-stroke like so many motorcycles are?

Any support, chides, comments are welcome.

Cheers,

Dag
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There's been a lot of debate about exactly how much 2-strokes pollute... Check out the discussion here:
viewtopic.php?t=1325

I think the debate often focuses too heavily on emissions alone—that doesn't sum up the total "carbon footprint" or overall environmental impact of the vehicle. (This comes up in the above thread.)

Also, should the Stella be making a comeback (as has been rumored), it may sport a new engine. There are direct-injection 2 strokes which run much cleaner than the older ones, or they may go with a carb. That may be the key to passing California's stricter CARB emissions test.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

A different perspective

Post by jrsjr »

daglafe wrote:Here’s my dilemma ……

I REALLY love this Stella. ....but being a bit of a nature lover I’m feeling really guilty about riding this beautiful polluter instead of a “cleaner” 4-stroke.
Hey Dag,

You bought the Stella used, right? And you got a great deal on it, right? Here's the thing. If you hadn't bought that scooter, you can be 100% certain that somebody else would have. It would still be roaming around out there, admittedly, polluting more than a 4-stroke Buddy. So, enjoy the Stella and, if your conscience won't let you sleep nights, get a Buddy and do your day-to-day riding on the Buddy and go to rallies and meetups on the Stella.
daglafe

Post by daglafe »

Thanks for the comments all, and thanks for the link Eric. It made for some interesting reading. From some of those stats (though I know stats are subjective)…I may be doing worse than I thought. Funny thing is I am in more of a battle with myself than anything. I know the naturalist in me will eventually win, I just think I’ll miss my Stella, we’ve bonded. ;)

I know what you mean John, about someone else using it and polluting the same as I am if I didn’t have it, and your suggestion is a good one, thanks for the perspective. I just feel the responsibility to do my part where I can, so deep down I know the Stella will likely have to go, hopefully to a loving home. Besides, I could use the money for the new scooter as originally planned.

So I guess I’ll need to start trying to decide whether to get a Buddy or a used Bajaj or....or....or....

Cheers,

Dag
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Keep the Stella and stop beating yourself up over it. It's beautiful, it runs well and it's got a touch of the classic in it. More than a touch, actually.

There are lots of ways of looking at this issue. Every vehicle built before 1968 is potentially a big polluter. Cars built in that gray area between 1967 and when catalytic converters came on the scene are potentially even dirtier. Should all classic cars be banned from the roads? Keep your Stella tuned right, use good quality 2 stroke oil and enjoy yourself.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800