Canyon drive and first Buddy commute

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Moo Juice

Canyon drive and first Buddy commute

Post by Moo Juice »

Went for a drive last evening through an area in the Salt Lake valley called Dimple Dell canyon. Beautiful.

This was an area where a little new home construction is going on. Not much traffic. Just great!

I also checked the tire pressure for the first time since taking delivery. Each tire was at 20PSI. :? So I aired up to 33 rear, 30 front. Ride is much more nimble although a bit more harsh.

Morning commute was awesome. I live about 8 miles (each way) from the office. What a great way to start the day!

One other note: maybe everyone else already knows this, but I filled the tank last night with 91 octane gas instead of the cheap stuff. Even at the high altitude I'm riding (~4500 ft) it makes a nice difference in performance. If you haven't ponied up for the premium gas, you should.

Looking forward to the ride home!
lobsterman

Re: Canyon drive and first Buddy commute

Post by lobsterman »

Moo Juice wrote:One other note: maybe everyone else already knows this, but I filled the tank last night with 91 octane gas instead of the cheap stuff. Even at the high altitude I'm riding (~4500 ft) it makes a nice difference in performance. If you haven't ponied up for the premium gas, you should.
Looks like a nice ride.

The tires I think most of us have concluded should be 30/30.

The octane question has been well debated here and elsewhere, but it seems the best answer is mid-grade gas for the Buddy, higher won't hurt you but probably won't help either.

See what pocphil said:
viewtopic.php?t=1015&highlight=octane
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Moo Juice

Post by Moo Juice »

I know the octane debate rages in general. The dealer from which I purchased our Buddies recommended the 91 octane fuel. I deliberately ran out the old low octane tank after a lengthy ride, went home and filled with 91 octane, and then went out again. The Buddy seemed to have more grunt going up hills than it had on the lower octane gas.

Completely unscientific and it defies general wisdom.

I'll try 30/30 air pressure and see how that works out. I figured I might up the rear pressure a bit since most of the weight is back there.

Cheers
x-mojito50mod

Post by x-mojito50mod »

Nice pic...looks like a fun road to ride on!
Your rear tire should be 30psi MAX...if you fill it more, it's likely to bounce you off the seat over a bump at speed.
The front should be around 28psi...the back should have more because of weight distribution.

BTW, Moo...Badgers, badgers, badgers