anyone take the experienced rider course?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jasondavis48108

anyone take the experienced rider course?

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here has taken the experienced rider course. I work at a college that offers the course so I wouldn't have to pay for it so I'm not worried about, just wondering if its worth the time.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
dwayneed

Post by dwayneed »

I have not taken it, but it looks like it would be really great. I do know you get to take the course on your own bike, here in Wisconsin at least. For free it's a no brainer IMO.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I took one that was scooters only, taught by scooter rider no less. It was great experience and I may take it again as a refresher. Do it!
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

My MSF coach said the advance was all the same exercises only slightly faster AND you're allowed to ride 2up if you so choose and have someone to ride on the back. He said in 15 years of coaching no one had ever ridden 2up :)
jasondavis48108

jijifer wrote:My MSF coach said the advance was all the same exercises only slightly faster AND you're allowed to ride 2up if you so choose and have someone to ride on the back. He said in 15 years of coaching no one had ever ridden 2up :)
hmmm, that's odd. I read the description of the course and it never mentioned being able to ride 2up. I'll have to check and see if its the same for the course here. Might be worth it since I ride 2up with the kid.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

jasondavis48108 wrote:
jijifer wrote:My MSF coach said the advance was all the same exercises only slightly faster AND you're allowed to ride 2up if you so choose and have someone to ride on the back. He said in 15 years of coaching no one had ever ridden 2up :)
hmmm, that's odd. I read the description of the course and it never mentioned being able to ride 2up. I'll have to check and see if its the same for the course here. Might be worth it since I ride 2up with the kid.
Here it is:
MSF site wrote: Experienced RiderCourse(ERC)
The ERC Suite provides current motorcyclists lifelong opportunities for rider education and training. ERC consists of three separate one-day RiderCourses: 1) Skills Practice RiderCourse; 2) Skills Plus RiderCourse; and 3) the License Waiver RiderCourse. Availability is limited.

Skills Practice RiderCourse is designed for riders who have successfully completed the BRC or who possess basic riding skills.
Skills Plus RiderCourse is designed for riders who are already licensed and frequently ride. Passengers may participate.
License Waiver RiderCourse is designed for riders with permits who do not possess a state motorcycle license or endorsement. A state may use this as a license waiver course for experienced riders.
Sounds crazy but appears to be true!
jasondavis48108

jmazza wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:
Here it is:
MSF site wrote: Experienced RiderCourse(ERC)
The ERC Suite provides current motorcyclists lifelong opportunities for rider education and training. ERC consists of three separate one-day RiderCourses: 1) Skills Practice RiderCourse; 2) Skills Plus RiderCourse; and 3) the License Waiver RiderCourse. Availability is limited.

Skills Practice RiderCourse is designed for riders who have successfully completed the BRC or who possess basic riding skills.
Skills Plus RiderCourse is designed for riders who are already licensed and frequently ride. Passengers may participate.
License Waiver RiderCourse is designed for riders with permits who do not possess a state motorcycle license or endorsement. A state may use this as a license waiver course for experienced riders.
Sounds crazy but appears to be true!
hmm, maybe the course offered at my college is the Skills Practice course since they didn't mention being able to ride with a passenger. I'll have to call and ask about this as being able to have my kid with me would surely make it worthwhile. I wonder if they have any age restrictions on passengers?
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

Great course! I'd suggest taking it every 3 years or so to keep riding skills sharp. The instructors are top-notch. (We had a HD gent and his wife that rode 2-up. He said that's how he usually rides so that's how he wanted to take the course.)
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
jasondavis48108

thanks irishtim, sounds like I'll be taking this course then, either this summer or next :) Hopefully with the kid.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Did you ever get around to this Jason? I noticed spots are still open for September and have been thinking I'd like some formal training/a chance to increase my skills. I'd love to hear a review if you've done it.

(any reviews of Experienced Rider course are welcome, but I'd be taking it at the same location as Jason was planning, thus the callout.)
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I just got back from taking the ERC this morning! How timely.

It was the BRC on your own bike. I was in a course that was sponsored by one of the local Harley dealers, so I was the only person there on a non-Harley (I was on the DRZ...I can only imagine if I had brought a scootah). When I arrived, everyone sorta stared. Then I walked over and said "Hey, I hope you don't mind a Japanese bike", everyone laughed, and it was ok. Turns out some of the guys came from dirt originally and/or had "vintage" bikes when they weren't vintage. One of the guys and I became riding partners because he couldn't believe I had a Honda Dream, his first bike.

We covered:
  • slow to a stop and then go (no feet)
    weaving in and out of cones (one side placed closer together than the other side)
    sharp turn to the left or right
    riding over objects (the most fun!)
    figure 8 in a box (shocking how bad some of the riders were at this exercise)
    fast stop
    quick swerve
    sweeping corners (a lot of fun!)
    stopping while taking a corner (get that bike upright!)
There was also stuff about gear, conspicuity (I kept quiet as I'm such a hi-viz geek), alcohol and riding.

The instructors were terrific (can you get a bad MSF instructor?). They said there's an ADVANCED course that covers topics not covered in the BRC and ERC.

Most of the folks there today were there for the insurance discount and/or the "plaque" they get from their local HOG group. I was there for fun and to meet some new people.

We each had an opportunity to tell why we were taking the course and the instructors did a good job of making sure those topics were covered. I was there to have an 'outside' observer give instruction on bad habits and/or to emphasize what I'm doing right. The guys I usually ride with are always free with advice, but sometimes I think I ride better than they do, just don't distribute my advice so freely. Turns out, I have to relax my arms/shoulders more which I think is because I need bar risers.

I was even asked to consider becoming an instructor which was very flattering! To get paid to ride a motorcycle and guide new riders to make good decisions? Really? Bring it!

I had a great time and for the cost ($60), I felt it was worth it.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

siobhan wrote:The instructors were terrific (can you get a bad MSF instructor?).
Unfortunately you can. I had a couple of guys the second time that I took the Basic (voluntary... felt the need to say that) that were not nearly as clear in their instructions and were kind of assholes (can I say that on here?) but generally I hear almost all good stuff.

I keep toying with taking the ERC and every time it is offered I have a conflict.
jasondavis48108

Quo Vadimus wrote:Did you ever get around to this Jason? I noticed spots are still open for September and have been thinking I'd like some formal training/a chance to increase my skills. I'd love to hear a review if you've done it.

(any reviews of Experienced Rider course are welcome, but I'd be taking it at the same location as Jason was planning, thus the callout.)
unfortunately I have not yet had the chance to take this course although it's taught by the same group that teaches the beginning rider classes and they were all really awesome folks. If Lou is your instructor then you'd be one lucky guy as he is by far my favorite instructor at the WCC location. Hopefully next summer will not be so busy for me work wise, I had to create all of the materials for a new course this summer which kept me fairly busy :lol:
DrPlasma

Post by DrPlasma »

Take the course! I've been riding for 25 years and took the course a few years ago because I got a gift certificate and thought it would be fun and free so why not. We spent the most time on emergency maneuvers. I don't know about you but I don't spend much time in a parking lot practicing what if. Pracice could save your life one day.
gbjbany

Post by gbjbany »

FYI in California (Sacramento anyway) it's
Basic Rider Course-2
(formerly the Experienced Rider Course)
viney266

Post by viney266 »

If I may be so brash....Yes, I think its great and can keep you sharp and curb some bad habits...I used to instruct :)...

I always enjoyed it because it kept ME sharper teaching experienced riders.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

viney266 wrote:...I used to instruct :)...

I always enjoyed it because it kept ME sharper teaching experienced riders.
Hmmm, I never thought of that, doh! Thank you for posting your experience.
lilguy

Post by lilguy »

I took the ERC this past May. It was good to get some practice. For me it's like studying for the GRE or LSAT. I have the best intentions of studying on my own, but rarely get around to doing it. Paying to be in a class forces me to be present and actually study (practice).
Akaipaps

Post by Akaipaps »

I just finished the Basic course. I took it 3 years ago, passed it, but then, let my MC endorsement lapse. I passed it! I love stoppies! I hate the 'box'.

Our local training school dropped the experienced class. They said nobody ever signed up for it. :(
Green Buddy's are the luckiest!