Blown Blur motor (part 2)

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bluelghtning

Blown Blur motor (part 2)

Post by bluelghtning »

Well, my wife and I finally decided it was time to pull the motor out of the Blur today. WOW, wait till you see these pictures below. This thing absolutely exploded. I still need to split the cases, but here's a start with the pictures. My first thread about this was here.

First some thoughts on this:
I've had a lot of time over the past couple months since this happened to think over this whole blown motor and to say this scooter has become a sore spot in my view of Genuine/PGO is an understatement. I'm just royally disgusted at this point and the main reason I just haven't even felt like tearing it apart. Genuine or PGO never did answer or even acknowledge my e-mails I sent them which was disappointing in itself besides the fact I have a perfect low milegae scooter sitting here thats a huge paperweight. Even more disgusting around this whole ordeal is that Genuine unlike Vespa, Sym, Kymco, Aprilia & many other quality scooter manufactuers I considered before buying the Blur actually warranty their scooters for usually 1-2 years regardless miles or number of owners. Genuine must not believe enough in their product for the simple fact that they don't honor their warranty after the 1st owner. I really was hesitant about that one simple point when my wife and I both had bought Genuine scoots, but deep down I never thought such a low mileage scooter would be at risk of of blowing the motor, especially if I left it stock. Something in this motor was defective plain and simple and at less then 4k BDU's on it, that's pretty sad that I didn't get any more miles out of this scooter. It would really take an amazing explanation from someone to please show me how any way possible any form of neglect blew this totally stock motor. I'm starting to wish I had just bought one those cheap Chinese scooters people love to rag on. I might have actually had better luck with one of those! haha

Anyway, now to the pictures. You think a little JB weld might fix this? haha

This is looking from the rear where the rear tire would be. At this point the engine is still in the scooter.

This is out of the scooter and up on our work bench

Look the starter even took a nice hit

Yikes

Thats a lot of broken metal

I was trying to get some shots inside the motor here.

Is that a broken rod in there?

Just so everyone can see.
Stock belt, weights, etc, I've never even had this apart till now
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

49 states completed between 2006 & 2008
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Blown Blur motor (part 2)

Post by jrsjr »

bluelghtning wrote:Is that a broken rod in there?
Yes, but it's tough so say whether the conrod went first or something went really wrong with the crank first. That crank doesn't look right to me at all. It may just be the photo, but I'm very suspicious. Whatever caused it, once that conrod snapped, it was like having a tiny jackhammer run amuck in your motor. Do you see the angle that thing broke on? It left a nice sharp point to do the maximum possible damage to your motor. That is one totalled motor no matter what. Really sorry...
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

I just took a few more things off and took a few more pics. I really don't think I can split the cases without cutting or bending back some of the bolts that got so twisted in the disaster.

I'll post the pics here shortly. I did get a good shot of the broken rod too.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

A few more pictures

All the plastic stuff off and the valve cover off

I started taking the bolts out I could that hold the cases together, but some of them are so badly bent, there isn't any way to get them out without cutting them or trying to make them straight again.

When I took out one of the bottom ones, it freed up some of the pieces that were still there, but completely broken

Good look inside there

Broken Rod

Check out this bolt under the head

These bent bolts are keeping me from taking the cases apart right now

Pieces that came out from inside the motor and other bits

BlueLghtning
My Pictures

fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

holy hell that is nuts! i am sooo sorry man.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

It looks like the conrod's the culprit. I've never seen or heard of one snapping this badly, but it looks like it sheared, then spun around and busted through the case walls with it's momentum.

I'm not even sure what to tell you... Man, I feel for ya. I have heard of several instances where the conrod went out on the 06 Blurs. There's one or two that I've seen at my local shop where they went out really early. Supposedly, if you make it past 5k, you've got one of the good ones, since the failure rate is there or less.

I wish there were some way you could get that fixed, at little/no cost to you, but I just don't think that's an option. You could try contacting Genuine to see if you can get replacement cases and all the parts... but I just don't know if that's an option, or if it'd even be worth it.

The other thing you could do is see if you can find a totaled Blur somewhere (no idea where they disappear to). With a still running (or at least not grenaded) engine.

Keep us posted, I really hope you can get it running again. :cry:
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

Lostmycage wrote:It looks like the conrod's the culprit. I've never seen or heard of one snapping this badly, but it looks like it sheared, then spun around and busted through the case walls with it's momentum.

I'm not even sure what to tell you... Man, I feel for ya. I have heard of several instances where the conrod went out on the 06 Blurs. There's one or two that I've seen at my local shop where they went out really early. Supposedly, if you make it past 5k, you've got one of the good ones, since the failure rate is there or less.

I wish there were some way you could get that fixed, at little/no cost to you, but I just don't think that's an option. You could try contacting Genuine to see if you can get replacement cases and all the parts... but I just don't know if that's an option, or if it'd even be worth it.

The other thing you could do is see if you can find a totaled Blur somewhere (no idea where they disappear to). With a still running (or at least not grenaded) engine.

Keep us posted, I really hope you can get it running again. :cry:
Thanks man. I should have mentioned that the crank still spins and the rod still moves on the crank, so nothing seized there. It just took out a bunch of the engine.

So there were some 06's that had issues? Do you have any links to this? I'd sure like to be armed with this info if need be.

I would like to keep my eye out for a totaled blur with a good motor or a used motor. I don't think its worth it for me to pay to have a new motor put in.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

<a href="viewtopic.php?t=1777&highlight=crank+blur">This is the only mention I've found on MB.</a> I've heard it before, and I've heard of at least one locally, possibly two if I'm not mixing up my memories. I'll let you know if I run across any other info.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

That really sucks. Finding another Blur engine might be difficult, but doesn't the Buddy 150 use the same engine? I'm not entirely sure but maybe someone from Genuine will know. If this is true, then your chances of finding another engine will be easier. Good luck!
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Short answer: not the same.
Long answer: The blur motor and buddy 150 are not the same as the rear shock mounts differently. I know this as my buddy 150 had to be replaced (long story) and Genuine accidently sent a blur motor. Which caused a delay in getting my scooter up in running as they had to send a buddy 150 motor.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The Buddy 150 and the Blur engine are very similar, internally.

The differences are that the Blur has a longer "swingarm", longer drive belt, Larger rear wheel, advanced cam, smaller valves and the EGR system is mounted differently.

If the case weren't busted up, you could pull parts from a Buddy 150 (including the crankshaft). I don't think that's much of an option for bluelghting.
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

Plus the Blur motor has the oil cooler hookups which I don't think the Buddy 150 motor has?
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Both have oil cooler lines, they just mount to the frame differently.
KS Power Nick
Retailer/Vendor

Post by KS Power Nick »

Have you been able to take the top end off yet?? I would like to see the cylinder walls. I am looking to see if the piston seized up in the cylinder which lead to the broken conrod.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

i have looked at this a couple of times and it blows my mind. i wonder to if the piston seized and the result is the sheared crank and all that followed. it just...sploded. i remember the exited posts you had after the purchase. and even though you are selling it, i know it suck to have this happen. best of luck. hope it works out with the sale, fix or the part out.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

KS Power Nick wrote:Have you been able to take the top end off yet?? I would like to see the cylinder walls. I am looking to see if the piston seized up in the cylinder which lead to the broken conrod.
I'm going to work on that because that would sure tell us a lot if the piston may have seized first.

I found out today that another Blur owner around the Atl area who isn't on any of the forums also had his motor blew. He got a bit more miles out of his to around 15k. I guess when him and his buddy pulled his apart though, they found an oil screen that was not attached to the plastic 'hood' that holds it in place and actually starved the engine for oil. The piston seized and broke the rod.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

bluelghtning wrote:
I'm going to work on that because that would sure tell us a lot if the piston may have seized first.

I found out today that another Blur owner around the Atl area who isn't on any of the forums also had his motor blew. He got a bit more miles out of his to around 15k. I guess when him and his buddy pulled his apart though, they found an oil screen that was not attached to the plastic 'hood' that holds it in place and actually starved the engine for oil. The piston seized and broke the rod.
Wow... that's a scary thought. I'm kinda glad I ditched the screen and put the magnetic bolt in it's place now. That spring worried me from the get-go!
Erlkonig

Post by Erlkonig »

http://forum.jorsindo.com/thread-2146100-1-1.html

Check this out ! I have posted your problem on the Taiwan web site and at least 1139 people had read

some kid suggests that connrod failure and /or crankshat snap in high rev speed should be the major cause , also, they suspect that the engine has been altered or did some upgrade. - otherwise, a real defected engine that local people called it " King".

I have told the people on the board if they kenw someone work for PGO, please make them to inform PGO to reply to you.

PGO is going to release 220 EFI in Sep 23 2009, my post should have some pressure on them if they mind.
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

Thanks for posting that. As you know from me posting in there, my Blur was bone stock. I had not even changed variator weights, belt, exhaust, filter, etc.

I have a friend that is also very curious to what happened and is supposed to come over today and we are going to pull the head off. He wants to see if the piston seized first which may have caused the rod to snap. I'll post up what we fine.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

bluelghtning wrote:Plus the Blur motor has the oil cooler hookups which I don't think the Buddy 150 motor has?
Buddy 150 does, it's under the main bike frame next to the oil filter.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

If it turns out that the piston didn't seize up and it looks as if the only possible explanation is a manufacturing defect, then I've got another (possibly far-out) theory.....

Would it be possible to have the CDI unit tested? Since it's electronic, I don't think it unreasonable to hypothesize that it could go into a failure mode in which it started firing off pulses way too early in the compression stroke (i.e., just like detonation caused by overly-advanced timing). Granted, we've probably all experienced this in our cages at one time or another, usually without ill effect if corrected in a timely fashion. However, much as I love my Blur, it doesn't exactly have the most sophisticated engine in the universe. While detonation will usually eat your piston alive if left unchecked (might want to check the piston face when you finally pull the head), there's nothing to say that it couldn't take out a rod, especially if it had some sort of minor defect to begin with.

Just spitballing.....
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

I got to thinking and realized I never did post the rest of the pics from the motor when I finally pulled the head. It looks like one of the valves and the piston did come in contact with each other and bent the valve. Who knows where the catastrophe started, but what ever started it caused a nice chain reaction that destroyed my stock motor. :(

BlueLghtning
My Pictures

bluelghtning

Sell it cheap?

Post by bluelghtning »

I took those pics back in September and I haven't done much with the Blur since I pulled the engine. It's become just a permanent fixture in our kitchen sitting on jack stands in the rear.

Anyways, Genuine never got back with me and I'm to the point I'm tired of looking at it and I'm not going to fix it. So I'll either sell it whole like it is and someone else can source a motor or I'll part it out in the new year.

Basically I have a 100% cosmetically clean Blur missing a motor. It has never been dropped or wrecked and only has 4k BDU's on it. Extras include the windscreen and rear rack. Tires are still good and it was totally stock right down to the rollers, belt, and exhaust.

I'll post an actual ad when I finalize this, but I'm thinking $500 like it sits which includes a clean title signed over to you. Come and get it now or just after the holidays for a nice winter project and once summer is back, you can have a perfectly good Blur with a brand new motor. The motor is completely out so it will need something to sit on in the back to support it. Good thing is its super light to maneuver and even pick up with no engine in it. I have a good battery that I've been keeping on a tender to go with it. Carb is still intact and I have all the parts that I pulled off of it.

If no interest at that, then I'll just start parting it out.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Man, I really feel for ya, Blue. That's a really good price on a titled Blur frame, but I'm not sure how available a new motor would be. If Genuine does bring in the newer GMax, that could be a cheap way to upgrade to the larger displacement... depending on the other differences. I wish I could offer you some sort of fix, but I'm stumped on this one. Not even the cases are good on that one. And on a completely stock bike with that few miles. :(

It took about 5 minutes to get to the end of this thread because of all the pics, lol.
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

Yeah I'm bummed, but my interests are elsewhere now. My wife just took a huge interest in dirt biking and that's where I want to spend my money.

I think someone's best bet is finding a crashed blur to take a motor from. Someone on ADV linked one awhile back that was going salvage at an auction, but there was only a few hrs left when they posted it and I didn't get a chance to contact the owner. IIRC, it went for under a few hundred bucks its self. If someone is patient enough, I'm sure they can source a motor from a wrecked one fairly cheap.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures

Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Alternatively, the plastics alone are worth more than that... it's a good deal to be sure!

MAn, I wish there was a time and places around here to dirt bike... and your wife's into it! I'm envious, lol.
hi2525

Post by hi2525 »

I feel you my friend. I had my blur at Auto4n for long enough time period for it to be considered a lemon by the stat of ohio. With as well as Warranty no being honored. Then started digging into the motor. Got to the final problem of being a barring missing from a side of the crank shaft. Have yet to show anyone but makes me feel at times as if Genuine product is inferior. So we bought a new engine from Genuine. Sent the wrong engine a buddy one. With a desire to not return e-mail nor phone calls. To get the problem corrected. Down to the part of taking the crank shaft apart to fix the ball bearing issue's. So I feel your pain and can't wait to ride again.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Did this end up being parted out?
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
bluelghtning

Post by bluelghtning »

bigbropgo wrote:Did this end up being parted out?
Nope, its actually still sitting in my computer room as a nice piece to talk about with friends! :lol:

Its still all in one piece minus the motor and rear wheel assembly.

My wife and I were just talking about it the other day and maybe we should throw a motor back in there.
BlueLghtning
My Pictures