MI way... again

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TVB

MI way... again

Post by TVB »

In case anyone thought that I'd come to my sense since last summer, you can rest assured that I have not. I've committed to another week-long scoot through Michigan, 15-22 July. This time, instead of riding the Lake Michigan shore, I'll be riding Flash along the Lake Huron shore, from the Straits of Mackinac to Lake St Clair, just north of Detroit. Unless there's an international incident that closes the border between now and then, I'll take a day trip into Ontario and ride the rest of the way to Lake Erie. (I will, however, be exercising enough common sense this time to take a ferry into Canada, rather than trying to sneak a "moped" across on either of the big international bridges.)

I will again be blogging the trip, at http://toddverbeek.com/miway/

Here's a peek at the counties I'll be visiting:
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Looks like one seriously fun ride TVB, and tword the end of your trip you'll be pretty darn close to my territory. I have to say that I'm seriously impressed with what you've done on that 50, you make 50cc scooter owners proud and prove they can do one hell of a lot more than the 5 mile commute to work! :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

sound's like an awesome trip, and I'll check back on the blog, motivates me to do something similar!
TVB

Post by TVB »

jasondavis48108 wrote:Looks like one seriously fun ride TVB, and tword the end of your trip you'll be pretty darn close to my territory. I have to say that I'm seriously impressed with what you've done on that 50, you make 50cc scooter owners proud and prove they can do one hell of a lot more than the 5 mile commute to work! :lol:
I won't be getting very close to A2 on this trip, mostly because I want to steer north of Metro Detroit. (Nothing personal against Detroit; I'm just not interested in scooting through cities.) One of the routes I have sketched out for future rides is to (pardon the metaphor) slash the wrist of Michigan, to pick up the two bottom rows of counties, and I'll probably stop in the People's Republic of Ann Arbor ;) on that trip.
jasondavis48108

TVB wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:Looks like one seriously fun ride TVB, and tword the end of your trip you'll be pretty darn close to my territory. I have to say that I'm seriously impressed with what you've done on that 50, you make 50cc scooter owners proud and prove they can do one hell of a lot more than the 5 mile commute to work! :lol:
I won't be getting very close to A2 on this trip, mostly because I want to steer north of Metro Detroit. (Nothing personal against Detroit; I'm just not interested in scooting through cities.) One of the routes I have sketched out for future rides is to (pardon the metaphor) slash the wrist of Michigan, to pick up the two bottom rows of counties, and I'll probably stop in the People's Republic of Ann Arbor ;) on that trip.
Well your scoot'n a whole lot closer to Ann Arbor than I've ever scooted twoard your neck of the woods. I don't blame you for not wanting to ride through Detroit. It's bad enough in a car, although one of my friends lives out there and told me recently that some areas of Detroit now look like a ghost town :shock:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

NIce ride! Looks like a ton of fun. I hope to do the California version of that.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
TVB

Post by TVB »

jasondavis48108 wrote:I don't blame you for not wanting to ride through Detroit. It's bad enough in a car, although one of my friends lives out there and told me recently that some areas of Detroit now look like a ghost town :shock:
There are serious proposals being made to rezone and redevelop sections of the city for farming. Some of the property is apparently more valuable for that than for use as housing. Ironically, in the long run this could make Detroit a model city for sustainability.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:NIce ride! Looks like a ton of fun. I hope to do the California version of that.
Yeah, California has a fairly long coastline too, doesn't it? 8)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:NIce ride! Looks like a ton of fun. I hope to do the California version of that.
We've done most of it!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
We've done most of it!
What was it on the front of Ken Kesey's bus... "Further". I think I need that on my scooter.
Sure we've done most of it, but that is not all of it! I really want to scooter through the Sequoias! And I still would like to ride all the way up to Vancouver... and.. and... and...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
paikkylee

Post by paikkylee »

Nice TVB. Sounds like fun.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Everything's ready for my big scoot. Except that I have a couple days before I get to start. This year it's up to the Straits of Mackinac, down along the Lake Huron coast to Lake St Clair (just north of Detroit), a quick detour across Ontario to Lake Erie, then back across the "palm" of Michigan to home. I've been blogging the preparations, and will continue to post updates along the way. I'll be on the road from the 15th to the 22nd.

http://toddverbeek.com/miway/
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I'll be in Edwardsburg next week, thinking about taking a my old Vespa. Last year I took the Blur and rode east to Sturgis and west to Niles to cover most of the southern counties just north of Indiana.

You gotta go to Sturgis, just to say "I went to Sturgis!"

Niles is fun if you're a graphic designer. Wrote this up after that ride:
http://fieldnotesbrand.com/2009/08/06/f ... nch-paper/
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Scoot

Post by Scoot »

Are you going take your scoot over the Mackinac bridge? I'm from Michigan (grew up there) and still go back to visit my sister. Personally I think your 50 cc would look awesome on the Blue Water
Bridge with all of those Canadian trucks. Don't forget your passport.
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

Only thing I enjoy more than a good road trip is the people I meet on it. Safe travels amigo, I hope you & Flash have the best of times.
TVB

Post by TVB »

illnoise wrote:I'll be in Edwardsburg next week, thinking about taking a my old Vespa. Last year I took the Blur and rode east to Sturgis and west to Niles to cover most of the southern counties just north of Indiana.
My boyfriend from Kalamazoo had a friend in Sturgis, so he'd been there quite a few times, but I never did. I went to college with someone from Coldwater and used to know a guy from Hillsdale, but pretty much the only places I've been along the Indy-Ohio border have been near Lake MI or metro Detroitoledo. I figure I'll do a ride back and forth across the wrist one of these years. Any other tips for the route or places to stop?
TVB

Post by TVB »

Scoot wrote:Are you going take your scoot over the Mackinac bridge? I'm from Michigan (grew up there) and still go back to visit my sister. Personally I think your 50 cc would look awesome on the Blue Water
Bridge with all of those Canadian trucks. Don't forget your passport.
I'm not doing it this time, but last year when I scooted up to Pictured Rocks I rode over the Bridge. On the metal grate, because the paved lane was closed. :shock: This year the scooter and I are taking the ferry to Bois Blanc Island (near Mackinac Island), but not going all the way across the Straits to the UP.

I don't think I'm going to take the Blue Water Bridge into Ontario, because of the illegality of being "on the interstate" with a 50cc. I got away with it at Mackinac because there was only at toll booth attendant to question me about it, and I lied and rode away (after paying the toll) before he caught me. I don't think I'd get away with that at a customs/immigration booth, where I'd be talking to someone with (foreign) law-enforcement authority and gun. :| Instead I'm taking one of the ferries across the St Clair River. Probably quicker, too.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

jasondavis48108 wrote:Well your scoot'n a whole lot closer to Ann Arbor than I've ever scooted twoard your neck of the woods. I don't blame you for not wanting to ride through Detroit. It's bad enough in a car, although one of my friends lives out there and told me recently that some areas of Detroit now look like a ghost town :shock:
You know, I feel exactly the same way about Grand Rapids :)

Seriously, I scoot every day in Detroit and it's amazing. I like scooting in the suburbs too, but my heart is in this great American city. Y'all should come to the rally and learn first-hand what Detroit is all about... www.motorcityshakedown.com
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

TVB wrote:Any other tips for the route or places to stop?
Ha, no, it's pretty boring unless you're into paper mills. Every town along the way has a nice diner or two, maybe a cafe kinda place. The only landmark in Edwardsburg is Lunkers, a big mom and pop version of Bass Pro Shops.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Rippinyarn wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:Well your scoot'n a whole lot closer to Ann Arbor than I've ever scooted twoard your neck of the woods. I don't blame you for not wanting to ride through Detroit. It's bad enough in a car, although one of my friends lives out there and told me recently that some areas of Detroit now look like a ghost town :shock:
:? There are a few streets here and there with abandonment issues, but our population actually ticked up a little last year.
Seriously, I scoot every day in Detroit and it's amazing. I like scooting in the suburbs too, but my heart is in this great American city. Y'all should come to the rally and learn first-hand what Detroit is all about... www.motorcityshakedown.com
Just to be clear: I'm not avoiding Detroit because it's Detroit; I'm avoiding Detroit because it's a big city, just like I detoured around Lansing on my trip to Hell, and took the ferry across the Lake instead of scooting through Milwauchicagary on my way back from the UP. If I want to deal with stop lights and traffic, all I have to do is leave my driveway. This trip is about getting away from that.
jasondavis48108

Rippinyarn wrote:

I too used to love Detroit when I was younger and with the recent immigration to Detroit of artists, urban farmers, and other inovative folks it way once again become an awesome city, but Detroit, as it stands now, is not my favorite place.
My friend moved to Detroit about five years ago to complete his masters at Wayne State University and despite all of the trouble he has had in Detroit he still has faith that the city can come back from the Dead. I really blame the people who vote into office these hack politicians. The last decent leader Detroit had was Archer and they ran him off. That being said, there are some really interesting things going on in Detroit now that land is cheaper than water there. I've been trying to keep up with the developing urban farning community out there as well as the alternative communites that are popping up in Detroit. My friend keeps trying to get me to come out on a saturday to go to some community "farmers market" type thing but I'm a loyalist so I have to go to the Ann Arbor farmers market every saturday :lol:
btw I'm almost as nervous about going to any western michigan town as I am about Detroit, it is the Bible belt of michigan after all :lol:
TVB

Post by TVB »

jasondavis48108 wrote:btw I'm almost as nervous about going to any western michigan town as I am about Detroit, it is the Bible belt of michigan after all :lol:
If I can live here, I think it'd be safe for you to visit. As long as you don't sneak into someone's garage, take their lawn mower, and starting mowing their lawn on a Sunday, you'll be perfectly safe. :) And be prepared for an Amish vendor or two at the farmer's market. But even in small towns around here, the worst you're likely to encounter is quiet disapproval of your southeast big-city l*beral ways.
jasondavis48108

TVB wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:btw I'm almost as nervous about going to any western michigan town as I am about Detroit, it is the Bible belt of michigan after all :lol:
If I can live here, I think it'd be safe for you to visit. As long as you don't sneak into someone's garage, take their lawn mower, and starting mowing their lawn on a Sunday, you'll be perfectly safe. :) And be prepared for an Amish vendor or two at the farmer's market. But even in small towns around here, the worst you're likely to encounter is quiet disapproval of your southeast big-city l*beral ways.
We have Amish at our farmers market too :lol: They make some pretty good noodles.
If you can't steal a persons lawnmower and do the a good deed on the Sabbath that's just not a society I want to live in :lol:

My dad does a lot of bicycling over on the west side of the state, he loves it. Since he knows I'm a bike nut he keeps suggesting that I go, but with the warning that I keep my devote Atheism in check :lol:
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Just saw this and thought it belonged here, ha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtetwqyJFLo

And yeah, New Buffalo is way scarier than Detroit, in its own way.

Bb.[/code]
rockraines

Post by rockraines »

illnoise wrote:I'll be in Edwardsburg next week, thinking about taking a my old Vespa. Last year I took the Blur and rode east to Sturgis and west to Niles to cover most of the southern counties just north of Indiana.

Niles is fun if you're a graphic designer. Wrote this up after that ride:
http://fieldnotesbrand.com/2009/08/06/f ... nch-paper/
NICE! I drive by there on 31 coming and going from my place in dowagiac.
jasondavis48108

illnoise wrote:Just saw this and thought it belonged here, ha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtetwqyJFLo

And yeah, New Buffalo is way scarier than Detroit, in its own way.

Bb.[/code]
:rofl:

wow! that was way scarier than anytime I've gone to the motor City.
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

LOL, That was pretty bad, reminds me of Topanga outside of Malibu.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

This is also a classic, not entirely correct, but it does feature a Rover* in it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYM8w2VzMwo

Everyone is welcome at Motor City Shakedown 6. Come on down/over and you just might learn something about Detroit while you are having a blast.

*Who is definitely NOT a D-bag
Rovers SC
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

[quote="illnoise"]and yeah, New Buffalo is way scarier than Detroit, in its own way.

That's my home your dissin there illnoise, what chew know bout New Buffalo, huh?
We hard an shit frum there ya know, cause life is tuff growin up by the beach.
mayne I don't know how many caps I hadta bust, on fools when dey waz i da wrong place at da wrong time ya, dig?
You know though for some reson we only hadta be hard frum June to Sept?
Awl do's Illnoise peeps encroachin on my anteek slingin turf!
If you don't know Harbor Country, say da hell outta Harbor Country....
HC reprasant yo!*

*If you didn't know purely joking, we are not hard in New Buffalo, an I've never busted any kinda cap in anybody.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
jasondavis48108

Rippinyarn wrote:This is also a classic, not entirely correct, but it does feature a Rover* in it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYM8w2VzMwo

Everyone is welcome at Motor City Shakedown 6. Come on down/over and you just might learn something about Detroit while you are having a blast.

*Who is definitely NOT a D-bag
:rofl: wow! :rofl:

do they still have the gothic douchbags? I noticed they were not represented in this video :lol:

Royal Oak reminds me a bit of my own hometown of Ann Arbor with respect to the amount of douchbaggery that can fill my fair city. Its really a shame as it seems like both cities have a lot to offer, but both can get pretty darn pretentious. They do have an electric bicycle shop I've been meaning to visit though :)
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Amp Brothers? That place rules!
It's quite north of downtown though, on Delemere at 13 mile, just down the street from the new Saab HQ.

And yes, navigating MI way is great!
Rovers SC
jasondavis48108

Rippinyarn wrote:Amp Brothers? That place rules!
It's quite north of downtown though, on Delemere at 13 mile, just down the street from the new Saab HQ.

Yeah, thats the place. Glad to hear someone familiar with it have something good to say. I've not met anyone who has even been there at this point, but any shop that sells only electric bicycles and scooters needs checking out in my opinion :)
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Wheelz wrote:*If you didn't know purely joking, we are not hard in New Buffalo, an I've never busted any kinda cap in anybody.
I didn't say you were HARD, I said you were SCARY!

: )

Bb.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

oh scary, well then okay, we may be a bit scary from time to time.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
TVB

Post by TVB »

AT&T internet access in northern Michigan is... unpredictable, but the blog postings are uploading. 170 miles today.
jasondavis48108

TVB wrote:AT&T internet access in northern Michigan is... unpredictable, but the blog postings are uploading. 170 miles today.
awesome, hope your having a blast. I havn't left my house except to water my plants in two days :(
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Stay safe TVB, and have fun.
BootScootin'FireFighter

have a blast Todd and be safe. Keep us all updated whenever you pass a Starbucks.
jasondavis48108

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:have a blast Todd and be safe. Keep us all updated whenever you pass a Starbucks.
Do we really need updates every five minutes :lol:
BootScootin'FireFighter

jasondavis48108 wrote:
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:have a blast Todd and be safe. Keep us all updated whenever you pass a Starbucks.
Do we really need updates every five minutes :lol:
Nevermind... Whenever you have an update, use the bucks for their wi-fi and share with us. Easy on the caffeine, you don't want to get dehydrated!
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

jasondavis48108 wrote:
Rippinyarn wrote:Amp Brothers? That place rules!

Yeah, thats the place. Glad to hear someone familiar with it have something good to say. I've not met anyone who has even been there at this point, but any shop that sells only electric bicycles and scooters needs checking out in my opinion :)
They are very cool guys and I sincerely wish that I could drop a couple of grand in their store. Very knowledgeable and friendly without being preachy (and they loved my scoots) http://www.examiner.com/x-3223-Detroit- ... p-Brothers
Rovers SC
TVB

Post by TVB »

For the record: I have never been to a Starbucks. I don't like coffee.
jasondavis48108

TVB wrote:For the record: I have never been to a Starbucks. I don't like coffee.
Don't like coffee, or don't like Starbucks? I hate Starbucks but I love coffee.
BootScootin'FireFighter

jasondavis48108 wrote:Don't like coffee, or don't like Starbucks? I hate Starbucks but I love coffee.
Here ya go Jason, this is straight from the horses mouth, the "Kid from Brooklyn"

WARNING offensive language on this link

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/18ClRW7nDxs&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/18ClRW7nDxs&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
jasondavis48108

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:Don't like coffee, or don't like Starbucks? I hate Starbucks but I love coffee.
Here ya go Jason, this is straight from the horses mouth, the "Kid from Brooklyn"

WARNING offensive language on this link

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/18ClRW7nDxs&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/18ClRW7nDxs&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
:rofl: yeah, starbucks totaly sucks and if you go to a coney joint you get better coffee and a meal to go with your coffee for about the same price. I figured with the economy the way it is, places like starbucks would have gone out of bussiness. Just goes to show that no matter how bad the economy gets there are still going to be people with too much money and really bad taste. :lol:
BootScootin'FireFighter

it's really become an addiction for a lot of people, but they think it's a "hip" addiction, like they get cool point for walking around the office all morning with the starbucks lady on their paper cup with the cute cardboard holder around it. I'll admit, I enjoy a cafe americano from time to time. I can't understand how people come in and out of there 3 or more times a day and order these huge fluffy colorful drinks smothered in whipped cream and caramel, and more than enough calories and sugar to replace a meal. Kid's shouldn't be allowed in there, theres too much sugar even in decaf. I wasn't allowed to drink coffee when I was a kid, my mother told me it was a "grown up" beverage. Did I mention that they're everywhere? Every busy downtown, airport, stadium, convention center, hospital. And if you avoid Starbucks out of principle, be careful of the alternatives. Many other smaller franchises, such as Seattle's Best are owned and operated by Starbucks. I still like using them for their free wi-fi when I'd be out of town with my laptop.
jasondavis48108

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:it's really become an addiction for a lot of people, but they think it's a "hip" addiction, like they get cool point for walking around the office all morning with the starbucks lady on their paper cup with the cute cardboard holder around it. I'll admit, I enjoy a cafe americano from time to time. I can't understand how people come in and out of there 3 or more times a day and order these huge fluffy colorful drinks smothered in whipped cream and caramel, and more than enough calories and sugar to replace a meal. Kid's shouldn't be allowed in there, theres too much sugar even in decaf. I wasn't allowed to drink coffee when I was a kid, my mother told me it was a "grown up" beverage. Did I mention that they're everywhere? Every busy downtown, airport, stadium, convention center, hospital. And if you avoid Starbucks out of principle, be careful of the alternatives. Many other smaller franchises, such as Seattle's Best are owned and operated by Starbucks. I still like using them for their free wi-fi when I'd be out of town with my laptop.
you know, with starbucks having free wi-fi I'm suprised therte is an area of the country where you can't get a connection. :lol:

I don't hate starbucks as a company, I just hate thier burned coffee, it tastes nasty and its 20% carbon by volume :bleh: . I prefer lighter roatsed coffee and I only buy from our local coffee roaster. His stuff is really good and he listens to customer feedback :lol:
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Allow me to channel our friend from brooklyn:

What in the h*ll are all you f*ckers doin talking about a 7$ dollar cup of f*ckin coffee, when this f*ckin thread is abou TV f*ckin B's massivley f*ckin cool scooter f*ckin trip.
What do all you guys have f*ckin AD f*ckin HD, can't keep your f*ckin minds wrapped around one f*ckin subject, huh?
Get it the f*ck together, geez! :lol:
TVB

Post by TVB »

You know, I was actually thinking much the same thing. I do not drink coffee. Nothing personal, I just despise the taste of it. I plugged my iPhone into my Buddy to get enough juice to check this thread, and it's all about... a coffee shop?

My Buddy got hit (lightly) by a truck today. My odometer rolled over 6000. I spent much of the day scooting on dirt and gravel roads. And y'all are talking about c*ffee?

(Tongue in cheek, but... if you were looking for an off-topic topic, coffee would be it.)
BootScootin'FireFighter

TVB wrote:You know, I was actually thinking much the same thing. I do not drink coffee. Nothing personal, I just despise the taste of it. I plugged my iPhone into my Buddy to get enough juice to check this thread, and it's all about... a coffee shop?

My Buddy got hit (lightly) by a truck today. My odometer rolled over 6000. I spent much of the day scooting on dirt and gravel roads. And y'all are talking about c*ffee?

(Tongue in cheek, but... if you were looking for an off-topic topic, coffee would be it.)
Sorry Todd, we got so bored and impatient waiting for an update from ya, we just went off on a tangent on our own. Love the pics on your blog BTW, I didn't know Michigan was as scenic of a state as you portrayed it. No more Starbucks talk, that's a different thread!