BIG test tomorrow, any suggestions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

traugu

BIG test tomorrow, any suggestions

Post by traugu »

Taking the DMV driving test with my Buddy 125 in the am. Pretty nervous. Any words of advice? Thanks for the encouragement! :roll:
TVB

Post by TVB »

I recommend having a few beers ahead of time to calm your nerves.

;)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Have you looked over what your state's test is comprised of and practiced the skills? If your state uses the Alternate MOST test, as many do, it's not hard but does have a few things that are tricky if you haven't practiced!
traugu

Post by traugu »

jmazza wrote:Have you looked over what your state's test is comprised of and practiced the skills? If your state uses the Alternate MOST test, as many do, it's not hard but does have a few things that are tricky if you haven't practiced!

Yes, I have been practicing using the info on the DMV website. This article is wonderful! Thank you so much! I suppose I'll need to calm my nerves, relax and do my best.

Thanks so much again!
traugu

Post by traugu »

TVB wrote:I recommend having a few beers ahead of time to calm your nerves.

;)
This plan will definitely be utilized once I get home!!! Thanks for the laugh, I needed it! :lol:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

traugu wrote:
jmazza wrote:Have you looked over what your state's test is comprised of and practiced the skills? If your state uses the Alternate MOST test, as many do, it's not hard but does have a few things that are tricky if you haven't practiced!

Yes, I have been practicing using the info on the DMV website. This article is wonderful! Thank you so much! I suppose I'll need to calm my nerves, relax and do my best.

Thanks so much again!
You'll be fine then! I practiced a lot before my test (which was Alternate MOST) and when it came to the test it was no problem at all. The test administrator said, "either that thing is REALLY easy to ride or you're a very in control rider."

Good luck! But if you've been practicing, you're probably way ahead of many people who just show up expecting to pass.
traugu

Post by traugu »

jmazza wrote:
traugu wrote:

Thanks so much again!
You'll be fine then! I practiced a lot before my test (which was Alternate MOST) and when it came to the test it was no problem at all. The test administrator said, "either that thing is REALLY easy to ride or you're a very in control rider."

Good luck! But if you've been practicing, you're probably way ahead of many people who just show up expecting to pass.

I hope so! Thank you again for the encouragement! Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy! :P
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

I took my test Monday this week, and passed easily without any specific practice. But then again, the MA motorcycle road test is a joke.

Blinkers, horn, brakes, hand signals (don't know why I'd even use those), then two small 360s and a figure 8. I was done in 2 minutes.
traugu

Post by traugu »

ed85379 wrote:I took my test Monday this week, and passed easily without any specific practice. But then again, the MA motorcycle road test is a joke.

Blinkers, horn, brakes, hand signals (don't know why I'd even use those), then two small 360s and a figure 8. I was done in 2 minutes.
That's great, congratulations! I'm not sure what it will be like in CT, hopefully, it will be easy!
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

If you have practiced, you should have no problems.

One rule in Kansas riding test is if you put your foot down at any time during the different things you are graded on you automatically fail. The other is if you get deducted 10 points you fail (each deduction is 5 points).

slow straight line control - as slow as you can for 50' in between two parallel yellow lines
(without either tire touching or crossing the lines)
weave through cones
(without touching the cones)
accelerate and sudden stop
(accelerate to 15-20 mph and sudden stop when the DMV personnel gives the signal - the front tire had to stop within a painted square on the ground)

Good news is that for scooters it is easier compared to motorcycles, since our scooters are much more nimble and lighter. A friend told me he failed on his Harley 4 times. He borrowed his brothers motorcycle which was smaller and lighter to pass. He kept hitting the cones during the weave portion of the test.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Get on to YouTube and do a search for the DMV motorcycle test for your state. For CA there are a dozen video's made by the DMV of everything that will be on the riding test. Maybe there also are for your state. If not, I'm sure the tests are very similar. Watching the vid's will give you a great idea of what to expect and ease your mind.

Good luck!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
traugu

Post by traugu »

iMoses wrote:If you have practiced, you should have no problems.

One rule in Kansas riding test is if you put your foot down at any time during the different things you are graded on you automatically fail. The other is if you get deducted 10 points you fail (each deduction is 5 points).

slow straight line control - as slow as you can for 50' in between two parallel yellow lines
(without either tire touching or crossing the lines)
weave through cones
(without touching the cones)
accelerate and sudden stop
(accelerate to 15-20 mph and sudden stop when the DMV personnel gives the signal - the front tire had to stop within a painted square on the ground)

Good news is that for scooters it is easier compared to motorcycles, since our scooters are much more nimble and lighter. A friend told me he failed on his Harley 4 times. He borrowed his brothers motorcycle which was smaller and lighter to pass. He kept hitting the cones during the weave portion of the test.

Thanks so much, again, I found this helpful! :)
traugu

Post by traugu »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Get on to YouTube and do a search for the DMV motorcycle test for your state. For CA there are a dozen video's made by the DMV of everything that will be on the riding test. Maybe there also are for your state. If not, I'm sure the tests are very similar. Watching the vid's will give you a great idea of what to expect and ease your mind.

Good luck!
Thanks! I never would have thought to look here! I checked it out, nothing for CT, but a couple of tips I hope to use. Just need to get the nerves in check! Thank you again! :D
Syd

Post by Syd »

TVB wrote:I recommend having a few beers ahead of time to calm your nerves.

;)
:+!:, minus the beer. Just relax.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
traugu

Post by traugu »

Thanks Syd!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Yep, just relax and do what you know how to do. Don't let the pressure get to you, it's easy. My wife failed once even though she was a great rider, just because she got all wigged out about it and she was riding an unfamiliar bike (to get a M-class instead of a L)

The riding test is really cake in most states, especially on a small bike without gears. You'll be fine.

One last thing, make sure all your lights and signals and horn and brakes are working properly and everything's in tip-top shape and adjusted right.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

In Maryland it is U-turn, stop in the box, Right sharp turn from the stop within 2 lines, Cone weave, swerve and sudden stop. My biggest problem has been cone weave and sharp right turn from the stop.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Stormswift wrote:In Maryland it is U-turn, stop in the box, Right sharp turn from the stop within 2 lines, Cone weave, swerve and sudden stop. My biggest problem has been cone weave and sharp right turn from the stop.
That's the Alternate MOST I linked above. The cone weave was the toughest one to get down but the Buddy handles it easily with its small frame.

Good tip on making sure everything is in good working order on your scoot!!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Best advice ever from the most comprehensive book ever (fictionally) written:
Don't Panic!
:P
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
brape

Post by brape »

Its too late now, but in case it helps anyone else the CT DMV has all the lines drawn out in the parking lot (at least mine does) so you can go and practice. I think that the test was outlined in the motorcycle drivers manual. I did the motorcycle class instead of the dmv route so I am not at all helpful in that regard.
traugu

Post by traugu »

Thank you everyone! I passed today!!!!
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

CONGRATS! :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Beamster wrote: I'm sure it was no sweat.

The hard part is waiting in the damned DMV office after the test while the one working employee works through the pile of papers to be processed. That took 2 hours and went past closing time for my wife.
traugu

Post by traugu »

Wheelz wrote:CONGRATS! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thank you so much! The ride home seemed so much easier! :P
traugu

Post by traugu »

Beamster wrote:
Beamster wrote: I'm sure it was no sweat.

The hard part is waiting in the damned DMV office after the test while the one working employee works through the pile of papers to be processed. That took 2 hours and went past closing time for my wife.
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I was lucky, the DMV office was really great and it wasn't busy at all. Yes, I know it is hard to believe, but they were all really friendly people. :D
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

traugu wrote:Thank you everyone! I passed today!!!!
Congrats!
brape

Post by brape »

I had to sit in the dmv office for my permit test and then again when to get my actual liscense. I don't think I got out of there in less then two hours on either occasion. I feel your pain :) congrats.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Did you test in Wethersfield?
EZPZ #65
TVB

Post by TVB »

traugu wrote:I was lucky, the DMV office was really great and it wasn't busy at all. Yes, I know it is hard to believe, but they were all really friendly people. :D
Are you sure you went to the right address? :)
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

traugu wrote: Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I was lucky, the DMV office was really great and it wasn't busy at all. Yes, I know it is hard to believe, but they were all really friendly people. :D
We're talking CT DMV in Wethersfield?
It was quiet, friendly and people were actually working?
Number 457.....
traugu

Post by traugu »

nissanman wrote:Did you test in WNoethersfield?
no, I took it in Winsted. They really were a nice group of people. : )
traugu

Post by traugu »

TVB wrote:
traugu wrote:I was lucky, the DMV office was really great and it wasn't busy at all. Yes, I know it is hard to believe, but they were all really friendly people. :D
Are you sure you went to the right address? :)[/quote

just lucky, I guess!