How many miles do you have

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

basilhayden

How many miles do you have

Post by basilhayden »

on your rattler? I am curious how many miles I can expect to put on my rattler before the engine goes out. I currently have close to 7000 miles with only one minor problem (a broken oil hose) that was covered under warranty.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Well, I have close to 9k on mine, but I did have to have it rebuilt around the 7.5k mark, I'm still under warranty for a little less than a year to go, so it really wasn't a problem getting it fixed.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
dynarex

Post by dynarex »

i have about 4000 abusive miles
so far so good!!!
see,what we got here is failure to communicate.
some men ya just cant reach...

ratt 110with 123 bbk,v8,24mm stg6 flatslide ,bopper tires,pinasco reedsmalossi variator,hit clutch,rrgs clutch bell, bla bla bla
Roughhouse_Rider.

Post by Roughhouse_Rider. »

9700 since march 11 2009
MHR 72cc cylinder
NCY Intake
21mm Stage 6/Dellorto Carburator
POS Prima Pipe
2000 RPM springs
birdmove

Post by birdmove »

Wheelz wrote:Well, I have close to 9k on mine, but I did have to have it rebuilt around the 7.5k mark, I'm still under warranty for a little less than a year to go, so it really wasn't a problem getting it fixed.
Just wondering what you had to have done to your Rattler at 7500 miles?

Thanks,Jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
Keys

Post by Keys »

I have just over 9600 miles on mine. Rebuild at 4000 and about 6000 miles. Determined the factory called-for plug was too hot...caused detonation and fried the piston, rings and cylinder each time. They call for a "too-hot" plug to make emission requirements. At my altitude, it burned things up. Had no trouble since I changed to a BR8HS instead of a BPR7HS.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

pretty straight forward piston and ring replacement. I was riding my rat pretty hard and alot as I was using it to go back and forth to work 30 miles a day. I have since moved and now only go about 12 miles to work and back, I have had absolutely no engine trouble with the rat since then over 11k miles now. I did have my exhaust stud break about 2 weeks ago, getting it replaced now, no biggie really, chalk that up to vibration and wear.
I will have had it for two years in May.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

I'm guessing that because the CVT keeps the engine rev'd pretty high, extended WOT seems to wreck scooter two-strokes much faster than geared two-strokes. Then again, in general it extended WOT is horrible for a two-stroke.

Most of the people that I've heard of with engine problems on the Rat are people who ride them hard. The nice thing is that the parts for a rebuild are really quite cheap (at least in my experience of motorcycles and cars), so it's not a big impact on your pocketbook.

Plus two-strokes are fun enough that they're worth blowing up every now and then. ;)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

Dumb question here. How do you know when you need new piston/rings?
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

Raiderfn311 wrote:Dumb question here. How do you know when you need new piston/rings?
compresion test is a good place to start
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I think it's about the same time you find a good bbk for it... or at least that's what I hear :lol:
EZPZ #65
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

:lol: sound bout right.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR