Open CVT/ Clutch case?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

I had a bad experience with removing the variator cover. It nearly cost my friend his leg. I took the variator cover off my minibike when I was a kid. (called torque converters then) Thought it looked better. A friend was riding it, fell of & the spinning front pulley nearly cut off his knee cap. It was hanging by skin. Went to the emergency room, he spent 3 months in the hospital. 3 weeks in his leg got infected & they were about to amputate but it began to heal. Big nasty scar when he finally got out. His parents nearly lost their house paying the medical bills. Anyway if I had to remove it I'd find something to partially cover it as some pics show in this thread.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

Christophers

Post by Christophers »

A quick update on the GTM open CVT cover:

One of the unexpected benefits of the switching to the GTM open CVT cover has been that the performance of the NCY rear suspension has been remarkably improved.

Some my remember that I commented in a different thread about the limited upgradability of the Buddy suspension - even with the best available rear shock the Buddy could benefit from better suspension. As it turns out the stock CVT cover weights 6 lbs. Replacing this with a CVT cover that weighs only a few ounces seems to have reduced the "sprung weight" on the rear "swing arm" enough to make a significant and noticeable difference in the reaction speed of the rear suspension.

For context, my use and observations are based on both high speed cornering (leading up to sweeping turns at 50-60 mph ~ not sure how fast, but definitely not that fast when I enter the turns) and slower turns in the 20-30 mph lead-up speed range. In all cases the differences are seen in the way that the scooter handles rough road conditions and bumps in the road that previously limited handling and control. The same roads and spots that required extra slowing and precaution in order to keep the rubber on the road now seem to be readily absorbed by the suspension, keeping the tires in contact with the pavement and allowing better bike handling.

It's been an unexpected and very welcome benefit to lightening the rear "swing arm".

Needless to say, the clearance issues have all but been eliminated between the GTM CVT cover, the removable kick arm center stand, and the GTM exhaust.

* One final note - the GTM exhaust is also lighter than the NCY exhaust that was previously on the bike. Since the exhaust is also on the "swing arm" the total weight savings is due to lightening both the CVT cover and to the lightened exhaust on the other side. Total scooter weight, fully fueled 212 lbs.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

This is great information and is exactly what I've been considering doing with my 170i.
I also have the bits to build a fork brace.
Another potential plan is to build a swingarm brace that will connect to where the pipe "bracket" bolts to the engine and connect to the rear axle. This should help stabilize and stiffen the swingarm and improve the handling.
BTW, the aftermarket pipe will mount to this swingarm brace as well.
Is the GTM pipe quiet? I don't like loud single cylinder engines. They remind me of agricultural implements and not cool stuff.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

GregsBuddy wrote: Is the GTM pipe quiet? I don't like loud single cylinder engines. They remind me of agricultural implements and not cool stuff.
The GTM exhaust is not quiet. It is a freer flowing exhaust than the NCY performance pipe that was previously on the bike, but it strangely, it is not nearly as loud as or, frankly, as annoying as the loud NCY pipe. ;)

The NYC pipe was LOUD! I wore earplugs when riding because of how annoyingly loud it was. The GTM pipe is still loud, but it has a deeper sound to it so it doesn't hurt your ears the way that the NCY pipe did on hard acceleration. I actually receive compliments from random people (other bikers - "real" bikers) on how good the GTM scooter exhaust sounds! I, myself, have never been an "exhaust tone connoisseur". Frankly I've never really cared how the bike sounded, but the GTM exhaust tones are actually kind of pleasant; an added degree unanticipated of fun!
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Thanks Psycho.
Where did you find your GTM pipe?
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

GregsBuddy wrote:Thanks Psycho.
:( The bike is a Buddy Psycho, not me.
GregsBuddy wrote:Where did you find your GTM pipe?
Guzzi Tech Motocycles
http://gtmotocycles.com/service/

It's an "off menu" item, but you can email Todd directly to inquire
todd@guzzitech.com
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

What does this GTM exhaust look like and how much does it cost?
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

k1dude wrote:What does this GTM exhaust look like and how much does it cost?
A couple of pics in the wild:
Attachments
You can see it's quite a bit smaller than the NCY and has very good clearance.
You can see it's quite a bit smaller than the NCY and has very good clearance.
rsz_rsz_img_3485_1_385.jpg (91.22 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
rsz_img_3492_1_898.jpg
rsz_img_3492_1_898.jpg (163.63 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
Last edited by Christophers on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Composite shop pic of GTM exhaust:
Attachments
rsz_image1_1_161.jpg
rsz_image1_1_161.jpg (140.24 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

That's a badass looking pipe dude!

But, after perusing the prices at the shop, I fear even asking how much that puppy cost. :shock: :wha: :cry:
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Last edited by Christophers on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Sorry Christophers.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

GregsBuddy wrote:Sorry Christophers.
LOL. No worries. ;)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I just found this on eBay. Not sure if it will fit a PGO engine though. Also available in black. Made of 1/4" thick 6061 aluminum and all hardware is stainless steel.

Bare aluminum version:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPOSIMO-GY6- ... 2cbbf074d8

Black anodized version:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPOSIMO-GY6- ... 0005.m1851
Attachments
cvt cover.jpg
cvt cover.jpg (40.71 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

babblefish wrote:I just found this on eBay. Not sure if it will fit a PGO engine though. Also available in black. Made of 1/4" thick 6061 aluminum and all hardware is stainless steel.
"FITS MOST SCOOTERS WITH
150cc GY6 LONG CASE MOTORS"

So it's unlikely to fit a Buddy. :(
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

Christophers wrote:A quick update on the GTM open CVT cover:

One of the unexpected benefits of the switching to the GTM open CVT cover has been that the performance of the NCY rear suspension has been remarkably improved....

As it turns out the stock CVT cover weights 6 lbs. Replacing this with a CVT cover that weighs only a few ounces seems to have reduced the "sprung weight" on the rear "swing arm" enough to make a significant and noticeable difference in the reaction speed of the rear suspension.
Interesting. Although I am not looking to go without a CVT cover, I wonder if removing the kickstart lever and associated parts would make a noticeable difference. I don't use it, and it's a fairly hefty piece of iron. Might have to pull it off and weigh it just to see.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

HowHH wrote:Interesting. Although I am not looking to go without a CVT cover, I wonder if removing the kickstart lever and associated parts would make a noticeable difference. I don't use it, and it's a fairly hefty piece of iron. Might have to pull it off and weigh it just to see.
The splines don't extend far enough on the Ruima stroker crank for the kickstart to engage. It made no sense for me to try to keep it.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

That cover replacement widget looks cool.
Be sure to remove the fins from the front pulley to reduce windage losses. You won't need the fins to pump air through the belt enclosure anymore and it will make it safer as well. The fins may be adding necessary strength for the pulley so be careful with removal.
Maybe a piece of industrial plastic could be shaped to fit under the clutch bell to protect it from touching down in a corner.
I've been thinking about the removal of the centerstand to add cornering clearance but then it occurred to me that the next item to touch down is the belt cover, which is the swing arm. If the belt guard touches down I'm very likely to crash from leveraging the tire from the asphalt. With the centerstand in place, it touches down first and is much less likely to leverage the rear tire from the asphalt. That's why you may want to leave the centerstand on the scoot'!