Too good to be true?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jillzybean

Too good to be true?

Post by jillzybean »

Hi, new to the scooting world and have been researching the Buddy 125cc as my first go. I found a used 2014, 851 miles being sold for $2k plus "fees" from the local Buddy dealer in town (where everyone takes theirs to be serviced, if needed). The shop guy told me this particular one was sold to the shop due to "cosmetic damage the seller didn't have the time/patience to deal with, so the shop fixed it up with a custom two-toned shell." He claims the innerds and engine were good to go with "no problems, it just had cosmetic damage." My husband is skeptical. What do you think? And if this is too good to be true, what should we be looking out for in a used model?

Thanks!
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

$2k plus fees for a 4 year old scooter that was crashed seems overpriced to me.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

This one is near you, and looks like a better deal: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcd/ ... 15224.html
jillzybean

THANK YOU!

Post by jillzybean »

Thanks!! That's great to know!
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

The craigslist one "has been down and seen some sun". I guess that means the scooter, like the one with cosmetic damage, probably took a fall. The price is much better, but I would look it over pretty carefully, esp. the frame. Also, a 2009 will probably need new tires if it still has the original. I think the price is a bit high for both of the scooters.
jillzybean

How do I know what to look for?

Post by jillzybean »

Thanks everyone! I'm curious, being so new to this whole world, what should I be paying attention to when looking over a used model carefully?

The one I posted about was put back together by a mechanic at the dealer I would take it to, so I feel a bit stuck. Any suggestions?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The price, condition, and mileage of the 125 don't sound bad to me. Cosmetic damage to lightly used scooters is common enough. If the scooter is in good to excellent mechanical condition and the cosmetic repairs look good to you then I don't really know what is wrong with the bike. Now, if you don't trust the dealer, don't do business with him. But what reason has he given you not to trust him..........
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

"what should I be paying attention to when looking over a used model carefully? "

That's a really good question. It's kind of a catch 22 because you only truly know what to look for only after you have experience with a scooter. The Buddy is pretty tough, and many of them have taken a spill or tipped over and broken some plastic. I think most are a safe bet if you're willing to learn to work on the scooter. But, if you have to pay for this and that it will add up fast. If that's the case, you want to be careful before buying.

I'd search for old posts regarding a check list of what to look for when buying a used scooter. If, by sheer luck, you have a friend who has worked on Buddy's, I would take him/her. Also, you can run any scoots you are thinking of buying, through the Modern Buddy forum. People will give you their opinions. This is pretty common and helpful.

It's esp. important to know what to look for if you are buying from a private seller. Check the oil dipstick. Does it smell like gas. Is the oil grungy and black? Ask about oil changes? How often? If the scooter has set, & this happens A LOT, for a year or more, it's likely the carb. may need cleaning, unless it was drained before letting the scooter sit. That's okay, just be aware. Ask how long it's been sitting without use. If the scooter is older, even with low miles, the tires may need replacement. Look for cracking along the sidewall, or bare thread. Spin the rear wheel. Does it run true or wobble any? Push it side to side and see if there is much play. That's just a start. See if you can find a thorough check list somewhere on the Buddy Forum

If you're buying from a mechanic/dealer, I would want a written warranty. At least 3-6 months. That seems reasonable. Also, when I buy things I try to feel confident that I can sell it if for some reason I don't like it, etc., and not take a huge loss. I notice that occasionally people buy scooters and immediately realize it's not for them. You can get a fair deal, often, in that situation.
Good luck. Give yourself time to feel comfortable with the scooter. Took me a year or more. Sorry this post is so long.