P200 Air Filter on a Stock Stella 2T Carb/Airbox

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ankdworak

P200 Air Filter on a Stock Stella 2T Carb/Airbox

Post by ankdworak »

I know this has probably been thrashed around before, but I can't locate any information in the technical library about my question. I'm wondering if the P200 air filter will fit just fine in the stock airbox of a Stella 2T? Specifically, are there any modifications (other than possibly rejetting the carb) that need to be performed? Does the filter have to be modified or drilled out in any way?
Thanks all and keep on scootin!
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

If I remember correctly the filter should fit fine but it's pointless to do on its own due to how restricted the pipe is. If you want the bigger filter then you are better off putting in a performance pipe and rejetting.
ankdworak

I have a performance pipe on now.

Post by ankdworak »

I have the Pinasco Gruppi Genova pipe on now and the carb has been rejetted for it. However, I'm guessing that opening up the air intake by switching to a P200 filter, may require additional rejetting - although a plug chop would likely confirm that.
One other question that comes to mind is: Does the P200 filter have a less restrictive media than the stock Genuine filter to allow more air flow to the carb? If this is the case, then would more fine particulates theoretically get into the carb to fowl up things?
Right now I am running the stock Genuine carb, which I believe is an SI 20/20 carb.
Thanks
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

The P200 filter is a bolt-on. The mesh is less restrictive. If you're worried about stuff in the motor, it's negligible. I have 20K on a P200 with that filter and no issues. You can still run the plastic pre-filter that goes in the hole under the seat and make sure the intake bellows is free of cracks or holes and still enjoy better filtration than an old Vespa.

You will need to up jet. No idea what exhaust you have (other than Pinasco), but check your current jetting and expect to up jet by .2-.4mm (eg., a 112 Dell'Orto/Spaco SI main jet has a 1.12mm hole in the end. An up jet for that would be 115 or 116). The idle jet may need to be enriched as well I believe Stellas came with a 40/130 stock and an 55/160 will enrich the low end some. You make also look into "Bald John jetting" for guidance in setting up your carb; only go down this road if you have some experience messing with carbs and read up on how the SI-series carb works.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

Also, if you are looking into a P200 filter you may want to take a look at this mod prior to the install. Make sure you get all the little metal filings out before you install it though. I washed mine out in gasoline several times before installing....one bit of metal can wreck the engine so be careful.

http://www.vespalabs.org/index.php?titl ... ilter_Hole
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

DCUNITED4LIFE wrote:Also, if you are looking into a P200 filter you may want to take a look at this mod prior to the install. Make sure you get all the little metal filings out before you install it though. I washed mine out in gasoline several times before installing....one bit of metal can wreck the engine so be careful.

http://www.vespalabs.org/index.php?titl ... ilter_Hole
Good point on the drilling, it is a good tuning step if you're dealing with a low-power filter.

I've bought several P200 filters through Scooterworks in recent years and every one I've received was the factory-drilled European model. Might request a Euro-style filter in the first place and avoid the risk of metal shavings in the motor.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...