Cheap alternative oil filter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

superseagulls

Cheap alternative oil filter

Post by superseagulls »

Hi All,

I did my first service today, 500 miles covered this week so I wanted to get it done asap! Anyway I went to the scooter Superstore http://www.sstam.com/ near Daytona, and requested the buddy 150cc oil filter, but they were out of stock. Remembering the Vespa LX150 filters also worked I asked if they had any Vespa filters. The salesman came back with 'HIFLO' ( www.hiflo.com) 'HF183' it was a good price - $8.95 so I purchased two.
Searching around tonight, I found some on Amazon and a few other places for around $5.50, the postage cost with the 3rd party seller on Amazon was expensive but there were other places out there. I installed one tonight and it worked all OK (refilled with fully synthetic), so may prove to be a reasonably priced alternative for folks!
rajron

Post by rajron »

Thax for the links and suggestions
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I just hate the slotted head on those (as opposed to the hex on OEM Sentec and Piaggio filters). Hard to get a grip on, can't use a torque wrench to get the torque right (not that you could fit a torque wrench onto it on the Blur…)

Obligatory filter links:
http://oopsclunkthud.com/ (tools to hand-tighten both types)
topic5887.html
(2 pages of mostly good info, conclusion: no big diff. Note the HiFlo box in one photo says "184" but 183 is the Piaggio/Genuine replacement)

More of my filter/oil rantings here:
topic5887.html

Bb
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
rajron

Post by rajron »

I just noticed it was the slotted filter, hate it as well, thanx for the additional links
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

The stock PGO (hex head) filter runs around $9. I wouldn't buy the slotted filters, there's just no sense in it.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.