Small Scooter Touring

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

healingpath

Small Scooter Touring

Post by healingpath »

I'm wondering if there's any interest in sharing stories about longer rides on these small scoots. I'm inclined to these rides myself, maybe because my "normal" daily - well, not quite daily, but somewhat regular - ride is 60 miles RT. I find that when I have the time, I like to cruise longer distances. Yesterday for example, I rode from my home up to Taos (NM), a total for the day of over 200 miles. The ride was, of course, beautiful, and very different from seeing the same country from a car. I feel like I'm discovering the beauty of northern NM all over again, and am really enjoying it. I've started looking for other scenic rides I can take around the state, which do not require any interstate highways.

Any one else interested in this sort of riding?
scooterstud

Re: Small Scooter Touring

Post by scooterstud »

healingpath wrote:I'm wondering if there's any interest in sharing stories about longer rides on these small scoots. I'm inclined to these rides myself, maybe because my "normal" daily - well, not quite daily, but somewhat regular - ride is 60 miles RT. I find that when I have the time, I like to cruise longer distances. Yesterday for example, I rode from my home up to Taos (NM), a total for the day of over 200 miles. The ride was, of course, beautiful, and very different from seeing the same country from a car. I feel like I'm discovering the beauty of northern NM all over again, and am really enjoying it. I've started looking for other scenic rides I can take around the state, which do not require any interstate highways.

Any one else interested in this sort of riding?
A guy who I work with who used to ride a Vespa before it was stolen said that him and his friends were planning a trip from here in Atlanta down to Savannah all by scooter. He said it would take like 8 hours but I bet it would be a lot of fun!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Interest? Yes!

There was a seniors group who did a coast-to-coast trip on 50cc scoots! I'll try to find the link for that story.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

I did a ride with my scooter club from Kansas City to St. Louis last summer. We're planning another ride of similar distance this summer. I really like doing that, but you really need a 3 day weekend to enjoy it. A day of down time in the middle is important so you're not completely wiped out when you come back.

It's also good to consider the size of your group when planning a ride. With one person, you can make really good time. With half a dozen, it takes longer. There are gas stops, meals, pit stops, etc. that have to happen and the more people you have the longer it takes.
- Bryce
healingpath

Post by healingpath »

ericalm wrote:Interest? Yes!

There was a seniors group who did a coast-to-coast trip on 50cc scoots! I'll try to find the link for that story.
Yes, I've seen that article. It's on the KymcoUSA website. To tell you the truth, I was inspired by it. I can imagine doing something like that.

Any personal experiences along these lines would be fun to hear about.

Matthew
Keys

Post by Keys »

You are welcome to peruse my blog...it speaks of my own trips. Of course, the longest has only been about 450 miles in a weekend...

www.skutergruven.blogspot.com

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
smorris

Post by smorris »

Gary and Caitlin's two-state epic on 50cc Honda Metropolitans

http://www.urbanscootin.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3495
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage

2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ____ 2006 Vespa LX150 ____ 1965 Vespa 180 SS
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon ____ 1958 MGA Roadster
healingpath

Post by healingpath »

smorris wrote:Gary and Caitlin's two-state epic on 50cc Honda Metropolitans

http://www.urbanscootin.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3495

Thanks for the link. Looks like a wonderful trip, and at such SLOW speed!
Good for them.
pjchmiel

Post by pjchmiel »

I did a 10-week, 10,000 mile scooter trip last year on my Stella (150), and have done lots of shorter long rides in the past, to rallies, etc. It's the best way to go if you have the time, though 6-14 hours a day on a scooter saddle is definitely something you feel. A couple hundred miles in a day is a great pace for cruising and enjoying the sights (on a 125-150cc; maybe 100-150 miles for a 50cc and 300 or so for a more highway-worthy machine), that gives you plenty of time to stop, eat, take photos, be a tourist, and rest. I stop a lot to take photos and scooters are such an ideal vehicle for that, easy to pull off and back on the road.

A bicycle would be an even better way for really savoring the scenery, but then you're working hard and have very limited gear carrying capacity. Scooters are a great marriage of accessibility, mileage, convenience and ability.
healingpath

Thanks PJ

Post by healingpath »

Wow! Now that's what I call touring. Thank you for sharing your website. I've scanned it just to get the feel, will read more detail over time. I can't say I'd ever have the time or even the desire (maybe?) to do something like you did, but it is inspiring. Also, I surely don't have the mechanical/technical expertise that you seem to have, what with all that custom performance stuff and whatnot, so the idea of such a long journey is intimidating on that score.

About that extra gas can: no reservations about that? I mean, are there any safety concerns? And where did you carry all that gear?

Thanks again.
Matthew
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

there was a guy that came to the Tornado R'ally on a honda helix. he rode all the way from Denver. He also needed to carry an extra gas tank since the gas stations in western KS are further apart than his scoot tank could muster. with his extra maggage attached he would normally only get 50mpg.