Buddy won't start from lack of attention

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ervine13

Buddy won't start from lack of attention

Post by ervine13 »

Hi. My 07 Buddy "coughs" but will not start :oops: . Due to circumstances, my Buddy was not used for about 1 year. When I finally went to start her, all she does is "cough". I assume the gas went bad and I probably need to flush it all out.

Can someone tell me how to do that? Has anyone had this problem before? I'd like to fix it myself before taking it to a dealer, mostly because I'd like to learn.

Thanks in advance!
bosco
Dealer

Post by bosco »

do yourself a favor and pull the carb to clean it too.

your pilot jet is most likely clogged as well as some of the passages.

hit it all with carb cleaner with the jets out, and blow it all dry with pressurized air.

and dump the gas. Just drain it into a can and throw it at the lawnmower or in the car. Its a better solution than just letting it evaporate in a pan out back...
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yup, as bosco said, you're going to have to pull the carb to get this going again.

There are a couple ways to drain the gas but since you'll be taking the carb out anyways, you can just pull the fuel line and run it into a funnel to a bucket.

The carb cleaning is pretty easy—if I can do it, anyone can. Watch out for the screws on the bottom of the float bowl. They're rather soft and strip easily! The screwdriver that comes with the Buddy is actually a good size for these.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Ours did that after one particular winter but we got away with new gas treated with Seafoam. That's pretty good stuff at cleaning out modest deposits. It seems to do the trick on all of our bikes. One had a mid range and another an off idle stumble; Seafoam cured all without touching the carbs.

Give it a shot.