Help - gear oil question for Buddy 50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

squasher5

Help - gear oil question for Buddy 50

Post by squasher5 »

We have a new Buddy 50, with just about 150 miles on it. The manual says to change the gear oil at 300 miles (it actually says 300 km).

A few questions:

1. What oil do I replace it with?

2. How do you do it?

If there is a thread out here with that info...I have not seen it. Most people are talking about 4-stroke engine oil changes.

Thanks for any help. :lol:
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Here's the thread for the 4T oil change:

topic76.html

I imagine you can pretty much go by that, but skip the part about engine oil!

Maybe the volume and grade are different, but that should all be in your manual.

I don't know if the drain and fill hole are in the same place, but they should be easy enough to find. When you drain it it never ALL comes out, so drain it into a measuring cup, measure what you drained, and put the same amount back in.

Sometimes good to have a dealer do the first service, they can usually give the bike a good looking over and make sure everything's good. Sometimes Genuine suggests other maintenance steps that aren't in the manual (like adjusting the valves on the 4T, so at least ask your dealer what you should be checking if your'e going to do it yourself.

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
juice

Gear oil

Post by juice »

There are several videos showing how to change gear oil on you tube . Just go to youtube and type in "scooter gear oil " . Good luck .
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I use 85W-140 gear oil. The 4T how-to works just fine for the Buddy 50 as thats what I followed to do the oil change the first time. Also, remember that you won't get all the oil out when you drain it so you want about 10cc less that the stated amount in the service manual. Its been awhile but I believe I put in 80-90cc all I rember is that it was 10cc less than what the manual states is the capacity.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

here us a thread that has pics its for a zuma but its basicly the same as they both have hm engines

110cc should be the amount of oil needed i measuer out 1/2 cup and that is 118 cc so just a bit extra

http://scooteraddict.com/forum/index.php?topic=19.msg38
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
squasher5

Thanks

Post by squasher5 »

Hey Fellow Scoots,

Thanks for your input. I changed my gear oil today...no problem. But the manual is quite inadequate.....it shows the fill hole, but never any mention or pic of the drain hole.

I changed it at 210 miles, but to my surprise the old gear oil was totally clean....not a spec of deposit....and just plain clean. So perhaps on some scooters this is important to change it early, but our Buddy 50 seems to be perking along beautifully.

Some people expressed a sort of panic feeling about changing it right on 300 km., but in my opinion it seems that there is no panic at all.

:D
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I think my dealer told me not to change it till 500 miles. 200 miles seems a bit premature although I do know thats what the manual calls for.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

ok the reason to change the oil every 300 to 500 miles for the first few oil changes is not that it will be dirty
you have a sealed gear unit it wont get dirty

but its to get the flashing out and other metal as the gears mesh and wear in

i bet if you would run a magnet thru the oil you took out you would be suprised to how much crud was in there

but like was posted before 200 miles is too few miles for things to realy start to wear in

if i were you i would do it again at 500 miles on the odo and then again at 1000 on the odo
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos