Stalling Issue

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

thrownuts

Stalling Issue

Post by thrownuts »

Hey guys I've enjoyed all the information I've read on this forum. I don't post too much, but thought I might get some insight. I'm now stalling when coming to a stop at lights. When I first start the scooter to warm up it would stall. Now even when warm I'm getting the stalling at lights, everytime I stop really. Idle seems fine. Below is a quick story from purchase to now having stalling issues for a 2nd time.

2007 Buddy 125, purchased in June of 08. Had some stalling issues in early fall of 08 after purchase. They vented my gas tank which didn't fix the stalling issue, so they dug further and replaced the stator. I didn't get the scoot in until early 09 for the stator replacement. I rode last summer, and I've ridden almost everyday this summer. I'm now at a little over 5,900 miles on there. I do my own oil changes. But I know only so much mechanically. The scooter has now started to stall again at every stoplight I hit. Starts right back up and runs fine. I had a couple days when I hit some longer hills here in the Sierras and had a little power loss, no stalling, but like a small slip. June of 2010 my 2 yr warranty expired.

I guess my main question is have any of you had stator issues like this? The symptoms seem the same, just think it's annoying I've possibly needed the stator replaced twice now within 6,000 miles. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Haven't taken it to my local dealer yet.
thrownuts

Post by thrownuts »

No comments? Nobody had any suggestions or insight?
juice

Post by juice »

It would be worth trying 1 oz of seafoam per gal of gas , and a new NGK plug . I like the iridium plugs myself . Good luck .
thrownuts

Post by thrownuts »

Thanks Juice. Didn't think of doing any seafoam in the gas. I'd filled up at an entirely different station since then, so I moderately ruled out gas. But getting a little something in there might just clean it up. Thanks.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Just remember it only takes one tank of bad gas to gum up your fuel system. Check your fuel filter or just replace to play it safe. Juice, the Seafoam is a great idea, it will help clean out any varnish build up in the lines.
Also as a side thought, have you changed out any burned out bulbs lately?
Last edited by agrogod on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

change fuel filter? valve gap sea foam ( magic )
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I'd guess gunky carb (which seafoam MIGHT help, but a real carb cleaning will for sure) or just incorrectly set idle/air mixture screws. or a problem with autochoke (it's always 'on,' so its fine when you cold start, but when the engine warms up, it's still choking the engine, so it's stalling out.)

Autochokes are one of those modern scooter things that I'll never understand in anything but the vaguest principle, but that explanation makes sense if they work anything like what I think they work like.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Keys

Post by Keys »

I had similar issues back in '07 with my Buddy. They thought it was the stator, some silly dealer claimed it was my custom exhaust system (which had been in place for a year). Come to find out, it was the wires going to the coil were brittle and broke inside the insulation, so when I would hit a bump or sit just so, it would move those wires and break the connection to the coil and quit. I'd get off and it would start right up again. I finally had to find the problem myself. With your limited resources, have a dealer check the continuity in the wiring. All the way from the battery to the key switch to the coil. That MAY be your problem.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
ilektron

Post by ilektron »

Hmm... Once I figure out what is going on with mine, maybe I'll have some suggestions.
Dad, I know everything.
- 3y/o Son
thrownuts

Post by thrownuts »

I appreciate all the suggestions. I've been quite busy so I haven't had time to look. Just been driving the car. Although I do enjoy riding my Orange Buddy during Street Vibrations here in Reno. The guys on the hogs are usually pretty nice. :)

I'm going to nab some sea foam on my way home. Idle hasn't been adjusted, seems to idle fine, just randomly shuts off at every stop. Doesn't matter if I'm sitting on it or it sits running with me standing next to it, it dies. It will shut off whether it's warm or cold. I'll also get a fuel filter, just probably a good idea to replace it. I will update you all when I find the culprit. My local dealer is pretty good actually. Reno Cycles & Gear. So if your suggestions don't help I'll take it in when all else fails. Thanks again.