Did my first oil change on the Blur 220

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RVRoadTrip

Did my first oil change on the Blur 220

Post by RVRoadTrip »

Using the write-up in the technical library as a guideline (topic5887.html) , I set out to change the oil in my Blur 220. The manual says the first oil change should be done at 190 miles and as I rolled into home with all the supplies, I was at 189.2 miles. Close enough!

Since Rotella was the only 15W40 oil I could find, I used that. I bought that and a container of 85W-140 gear oil from Walmart. I bought an oil change kit that included a padded spill mat, some gloves and heavy paper towels for $4. I can use the mat many, many times so to me this was a good value. My local Genuine dealer had filters in stock so I got 2. I also grabbed an oil spout with measurements on it from Walmart and went by the local pharmacy and got a 60cc feeding syringe (for putting the gear oil in).

The certificate that I got with my scooter says it must be serviced by the dealer within 500 miles, doesn't say a thing about that being the first service. So I did the oil and filter change and will let the dealer check the valves, etc when I take it in before 500 miles arrives.

It took me about a hour, maybe a little less to change the engine oil and filter and replace the gear oil. I went slow to make sure I didn't overlook anything and also took the time to inspect what I could while under there. The engine held exactly one quart of oil and I put 110cc worth of gear oil in (the manual says between 110 and 130cc). I checked the engine oil dipstick before and after the oil change and it was at the same spot. There is no dipstick for the gear oil.

The engine oil was dark and had what you'd expect to find with a first oil change, little specks of shiny. The gear oil looked brand new, of course you can't tell that until you get it out. Overall, it was an easy job... not quite as easy as on the Honda Ruckus I had before, but easy nonetheless.

Sorry, no pictures. Didn't want to get oil on the camera. :)
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

i only have experience with my Blur 150 and a Sym 250, but they are both soooo easy when it comes to performing these basic fluid changes. Thanks for the post and thoughts. I always wished there was a dipstick for the gear fluid ... instead of measuring out what is required an hoping you get it all in (and out of) the syringe (or turkey baster) method.

just ride
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
DCUNITED4LIFE

1st home oil change @1,865 miles, Engine Oil Light Reset

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

So I did my first at home oil change as my dealer did the first maintenance when I purchased the Blur at around 300 miles. First mention is that the engine oil idiot light comes on at the manufacturers mileage recommendation for oil change which is around 1,865 miles. It spooked me the other night when it happened and I thought I might have been burning oil or something crazy but I read the manual and found out how to reset it and did the change today. Resetting the engine oil light is easy, hit select till it flashes (about 3 seconds), then hit reset (about 3 more) and it'll go away. While I was there I set the clock too following the directions in the manual. It had been off by 12 hours so at 1am it said 13:00. I got 5w-40 Motul synthetic from Scoot Richmond and put that in and did not do a filter change as the recommendation I read in the manual was that it be changed at something like 3,600 miles or so (basically when I do my next oil change).

It was the easiest oil change I've done in my life. 17mm wrench to bolt under right side of the engine, watch for a screen/filter to drop out and be nice to a rubber gasket which seals the drain bolt in removal and installation and refill with 1 liter or so oil. Run it for a little while and check the level. Happy Scooter, too easy. Idiot light disappear.
gtmotor

Post by gtmotor »

Just FYI... there is a drain bolt on the left side of the engine that's lower and just as easy to get to get to compared to the 17 mm one on the right with the screen/spring assembly.

You don't end up with the drain bolt falling into the oil drain pan and it (arguably) drains more oil out.

The Genuine mechanic showed me that when they did the first service on my Blur.
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

lol....see it's so easy they made two ways to do it.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Take the screen out (especially during break in) to inspect and clean it.

One caution is that if you aren't using the specced drain hole, the specced wet replacement might be off. I know it's common sense, but make sure it reads right on the dipstick after a few miles.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.