Tomorrow is warranty expiration day!

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Anachronism

Tomorrow is warranty expiration day!

Post by Anachronism »

One year ago tomorrow, I bouth my Stella.

It is currently in the shop getting its last ever warranty wark done, and then it is free!

Just to keep tabs, this is what was replaced/fixed under warranty:
1. Battery Strap
2. kill switch
3. Headlight Switch/wiring
4. Fuel gauge sender
5. Spare tire cover
6. Spare side cowl (due to shop dropping bike, so probably not warranteed)
7. Front mudguard/fender, whatever you call the wheelcover
8. legsheild trim
9. Mirrors
10. adjust brakes
11. Adjust carb
12. REBUILD ENTIRE MOTOR AFTER CONNECTING ROD BEARING FAILURE (new crank, bearings, piston, rings, cylinder head- essentially the only thing usable was the case)

So, with that happy list out of the way, IT IS UNFETTERED MOD TIME!

Currently, the only mods the bike has is a removed prefilter (the one under the seat) and a sito+ exhaust.

I know a popular mod is to deblue or replace the airfilter. Anybody want to sound off on that?

A cylinder kit will also eventually be in the works, and there are lots of choices. Who can recommend one?

Also, if I mod the bike up with a filter, sito+, and cylinder kit, what is a good carb to look at the feed this? I don't anticipate getting into porting or many mods further than the bolt-ons listed.

And yes, I am holding off on throwing this stuff on for another 800 miles until I get the new engine fully broken in, but I can start planning. :)
Valves are for wussies.
tbonestone

Post by tbonestone »

Jump over to stellaspeed forums to find out for sure. But i hear the "de-blue" of the air filter has become a no-no on that forum. Don't remember why.
JunkyardDog

Post by JunkyardDog »

Wow, that is a lot of stuff. I am especially interested in the con rod bearing failure. Any idea what caused that? So far I have run into 2 problems, and fixed them myself. One was with the oil injection (injecting too much oil), the other was the starter switch, which fell apart a day after I bought it. I fixed that by removing the starter switch, and rewiring it so the worthless kill switch now functions as the starter switch. I expect that to fail any time, and when it does, I will install a much higher quality switch. I still maintain the Stella's build quality is nowhere near that of, say, the Buddy. I also understand there are better parts available to replace the engine internals with when rebuild time comes around. But I have heard a LOT of stories about engine seizures and crankshaft/bearing failures, even on stock engines, and just wondered what the cause was for that? Just poor quality parts, or something else? Jerry.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

i got the vsx filter from scooter works and did bald johns jetting at first

but let me tell you this if you want a kit you need an after market crank other wise you will be looking at another crank failure

dont forget some ggr hot reeds too so if you chunk a reed your not tearing up that new engine and besides you get to cut the cross bar out of the reed block so you get more air flow
:twisted:
yes let the mod bug bite you hard oh it will bite your pocket book hard too

i proably got close to a grand in parts on mine

24/24 carb
ggr hot reeds
cht guages
air filter
somonini pipe
dr kit
mazzy full circle crank

and thats not counting the time i spent porting the dr kit matching the case

but she is a rocket shit now and i have had her up to 70 and there is room to go as im only around 3/4 throttle
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

After much research and advice I did the following...

Polini 177cc cylinder kit (lots of torque)
PX200 air filter
Bald John's jetting
Sito+ exhaust

I did what worked best for having a sidecar. The stella speed forum has a TON of info, but it can be overwhelming. i eventually just contacted Bald John and he gave me sound advice. Also helped me when it came time to install the parts.