Getting ready for cold weather...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Leif

Getting ready for cold weather...

Post by Leif »

It has been so nice I spaced that we are getting close to October and I will need to start preparing to ride in colder weather. The last 2 nights going home I have been rained on so I will pack the skirt to keep my pants nice, I hope to keep the shorty shield on until November but we will see how cold the mornings get.
VoodooKitty

Post by VoodooKitty »

Being in Denver as well I am starting to think about this, too. Why would you take your windshield off? Doesn't that help keep you a bit warmer? I was actually thinking of buying one to help out with the cold weather.
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

I just installed the Slipstreamer 66 windshield, and I love it. The ride is so much more pleasant and warm.

I also just got a sweet new helmet (not full face, just 3/4), but enough to keep my ears and eyes warm.

I think I'm going to fabricate some sort of bolt-on windblockers for my hands. I'll post here how that venture turns out.

My goal is to ride as much as possible this winter. Unforch, not much I can do about snow and ice.
Leif

Post by Leif »

I have a tall shield for the Winter. I will ride as long as there isn't snow and ice on the roads.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Cold weather just means covering up more. I've already added the windbreaker liner to my mesh jacket; switching to the leather jacket will come later in the year. I already wear a helmet (3/4) with a face shield. The current face shield doesn't come down as far as the one I wore last winter, so I may switch back to that. Either way, I have an "ear jock" that I wear when it gets cold: not over my ears, but over my cheeks and mouth. And I'll switch from the mesh gloves to leather.

Eventually the roads will get laced with snow and/or ice, which is unsafe for a vehicle that depends on balance. That's when I pull the scoot indoors and stick to the cage, the bus, and the shoes.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Well, I wish the seasions will make up their minds and stop fighting.
Here in Pa it was in the 60s the other day and then yesterday it was 93!!!

My favorite cold weather gear are my fleece and flannel lined pants, then put silkies on underneath......I feel as if I'm in the car!!
I have a neck gater that I can cover all other exposed face that my 3/4 doesent. Leather gloves with wool liners, I even put latex 'exam' gloves over the liners, under the shells to improve the wind resistance, provide for the digits. My Corazzo Shop Jacket is roomy enough for a fleece or wool sweater under it, I thtink I'm about as good to go as you can....
I've been riding year round as long as there's no snow and ice on the roads since I've been riding, I LOVE the looks you get from people when it's in the teens and 20s and I'm on the scoot!! I grin (if my mouth is visible) and wave and think *Life is Good*
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I got one of these when they were on sale a few weeks back at JC Whitney. I'm going to rock it like crazy this winter.

Watch the blog for my getting-ready-for-winter gear roundup.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

FYI, Powermadd makes handguards and mounts for scooters.
Scooterworks used to sell inexpensive hand mitts that attach to your handlebars. May want to check their web site to see if they still carry them.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

what is this "cold weather" everyone speaks of?

and what exactly is "riding season?"

:?: :P
rajron

Post by rajron »

I cannot prepare enough for cold weather; absolutely despise riding in cool/cold weather. Anything below sixty degrees F is miserable to me, but, have been know to ride in forty degree F weather. Hats off to all you cold weather riders – I know there are many of you!
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Last year it snowed so bad folks around my area did not see their bikes until all the snow melted. This summer it was 105... Now the trees are looking like they are ready to start turning color but the heat...today was in the 90's, humid. I went out riding and came back feeling like I just left sauna. I do not ride all year long. I will winterize the bike this winter as I did the this past winter. I actually winterized it in December before the first snow . I have a nice spot for it to be parked and that's where Dobby is going. If I was in California or Florida - hands down I'd be riding all year around. Not in Maryland, unfortunately.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

It's about time for me to start shopping for a new pair or two of lined jeans. I had two pairs of flannel-lined that finally died just in time for spring. This time I'm going to see if I can find fleece-lined. 8)
esk

Post by esk »

Kevin K wrote:FYI, Powermadd makes handguards and mounts for scooters.
yep yep! i started a thread here last winter about 'em, and a few people posted some positive reviews & pics: viewtopic.php?p=180821

...but then i ended up not ordering them, and suffered through the cold season as usual! i finally decided to go for it this year & just ordered a pair online through denniskirk.com.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I either have to find a good pair of studded tires for the Buddy 50 or buy an electric bike with 26" tires and clearance for some Nokian Gaza Extreme studded tires. I hate putting the scooter away for the winter and relying on my car to get me to work. I'd bike it but there's just no way to bike around here with all the hills and through the snow without sweating. I have to say that I am rather looking forward to ice biking season though :D Last winter the trails were awesome, tons of snow and crazy ice biking fun to be had.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Cheshire wrote:It's about time for me to start shopping for a new pair or two of lined jeans. I had two pairs of flannel-lined that finally died just in time for spring. This time I'm going to see if I can find fleece-lined. 8)
LLBean.....
jasondavis48108

KABarash wrote:
Cheshire wrote:It's about time for me to start shopping for a new pair or two of lined jeans. I had two pairs of flannel-lined that finally died just in time for spring. This time I'm going to see if I can find fleece-lined. 8)
LLBean.....
+1 the L.L. Bean flanel lined jeans that I have owned are by far the nicest. I have tons of lined pants (both kakis and jeans) as I only wear lined pants during the winter. I have had several different brands and its seems that L.L. Beans are the best. They don't get all bunchy and thier seams stay straight. One of the biggest problems with flanel lined jeans is that the flanel and the jean material can shrink at different rates making the pants very uncomfortable, L.L. Beans don't seem to do this.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I'll check 'em out. That was exactly the problem I had last year: the flannel got bunched in areas and left me sitting on creases and folds when I rode. Annoying on short rides, but made me get saddle-sore much faster.
stiffi

Post by stiffi »

I ride all winter. I bought my scooter in February and there was no way I was going to wait!

So, I geared up. My extreme gear is a textile jacket with fleece lining, Fieldsheer overpants, and whatever normal pants I have on, with sweatpants over them, a turtle neck, full face helmet, and 2-3 pair of gloves. I carry the glove liners and a 3rd winter glove to put under my riding gloves if need be.

This served me well, down to 20 degrees Fahrenheit, and under 5 miles. After a long ride, my fingers were still suffering. I may need to buy warmer gloves for my 2nd pair.
Thought I was buying a Buddy and ended up with a People 150. Hanging out for the cool conversation!
jasondavis48108

stiffi wrote:I ride all winter. I bought my scooter in February and there was no way I was going to wait!

So, I geared up. My extreme gear is a textile jacket with fleece lining, Fieldsheer overpants, and whatever normal pants I have on, with sweatpants over them, a turtle neck, full face helmet, and 2-3 pair of gloves. I carry the glove liners and a 3rd winter glove to put under my riding gloves if need be.

This served me well, down to 20 degrees Fahrenheit, and under 5 miles. After a long ride, my fingers were still suffering. I may need to buy warmer gloves for my 2nd pair.
I'm looking into a pair of battery powered heated gloves. Not the kind that use the scooters battery but the kind that have thier own rechargable battery. They're kind of pricey though

http://sitincomfort.com/glovesg42.html
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

If your bike has the electrical power, definitely recommend you look into the Widder heated gloves/vest combo. Amazingly warm, lightweight, and makes your ride so much more pleasant.

EDIT: Just saw that Widder went out of biz last year, but the IronButt people still sell the stuff. That's okay - Gerbing makes good heated stuff, too.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

it was 113 degrees yesterday

good god i would die to be able to winterize my scooter atm :(
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

stiffi wrote:and 2-3 pair of gloves. I carry the glove liners and a 3rd winter glove to put under my riding gloves if need be.

After a long ride, my fingers were still suffering. I may need to buy warmer gloves for my 2nd pair.
I highly recommend Gerbings heated leather gauntlet style gloves. They fit nicely over the cuff of a jacket and I ran the wire right from the battery, under the paneling, up through the neck and out of each respective handlebar, with enough slack to move my hands around enough at lights, then taped them off to the respective handlebars. Worth every dollar I spent. I didn't get the heated vest, but that may be coming this winter. Bob's BMW Cycles in Jessup (Dorsey Rd) has all the Gerbings line, worth a trip.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Here the story I just did on winter gear - sorry, but it's a little long :oops:

http://community.motorcycleshows.com/_W ... 51420.html
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

rajron wrote:I cannot prepare enough for cold weather; absolutely despise riding in cool/cold weather. Anything below sixty degrees F is miserable to me, but, have been know to ride in forty degree F weather. Hats off to all you cold weather riders – I know there are many of you!
+1 to that. My feeling exactly. Which doesn't serve me well here in Michigan.
so tough, so pink
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

I've ridden down to 34 in Houston and I'll ride in Colorado as long as the roads are clear. I won't ride when there is ice or snow on the road. I've seen a few Harley riders in Fisco, CO in December. I couldn't help staring since they were wearing nothing on their heads other than a bandana & and neck gator. If there was ever a time for a full face that would have been it.
TVB

Post by TVB »

JHScoot wrote:it was 113 degrees yesterday
good god i would die to be able to winterize my scooter atm :(
Today, I feel sorry for you. In three months, I will not.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Bob's BMW Cycles, This is past Columbia, right?
I don't know what this winter is going to be like but being a Scrooge that I am, last winter I bought a pair of skiing pants. To showel snow, skii (not likely) and to protect my "assets" if I slip and fall. To me those pants are perfect for when the weather turns. Warm, waterproof. I also have a large winter jacket that will easily fit over my armored mesh jacket. It will be my signature "Hag on Wheels" look.
The only issuesI can foresee is the gloves. Even if the wind is blocked with mittens or some other type of screen there will still temperature factor. I am afraid heated gloves may be the only answer.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
TVB

Post by TVB »

cdwise wrote:I've seen a few Harley riders in Fisco, CO in December. I couldn't help staring since they were wearing nothing on their heads other than a bandana & and neck gator. If there was ever a time for a full face that would have been it.
I have a modest level of respect for someone who doesn't wear a helmet because they just don't find it comfortable to wear one. It's a debatable choice, but it's... sane. However, someone who won't even wear a helmet when it would be more comfortable.... :P
jasondavis48108

TVB wrote:
cdwise wrote:I've seen a few Harley riders in Fisco, CO in December. I couldn't help staring since they were wearing nothing on their heads other than a bandana & and neck gator. If there was ever a time for a full face that would have been it.
I have a modest level of respect for someone who doesn't wear a helmet because they just don't find it comfortable to wear one. It's a debatable choice, but it's... sane. However, someone who won't even wear a helmet when it would be more comfortable.... :P
maybe they just need one of those winter caps with the pom pom on top :lol:
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Ended up switching to the winter gloves last night on the way home.
Today's forecast says high=60, low=37. NOW we're talking! :)
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

FWIW, some of the snowboarding pants make very good overpants for scooting in cold weather. They are wind resistent to wind proof (depending on price & type), insulated and baggy. They also tend to be more fashionable at lower prices than ski pants.

Bonus is you can get them pretty cheap at places like Walmart or Academy.

For cooler days the flannel tactical pants from LAPoliceGear, Inc on sale right now for $29.95 are pretty good, abrasian resistent and have pockets for amor if you want to put it in for your knees. I haven't got them yet but I ordered a pauir of their tactical slash resistant patrol govles on closeout for $4.99 too.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

jasondavis48108 wrote:
KABarash wrote:
LLBean.....
+1 the L.L. Bean flanel lined jeans that I have owned are by far the nicest. I have tons of lined pants (both kakis and jeans) as I only wear lined pants during the winter. I have had several different brands and its seems that L.L. Beans are the best. They don't get all bunchy and thier seams stay straight. One of the biggest problems with flanel lined jeans is that the flanel and the jean material can shrink at different rates making the pants very uncomfortable, L.L. Beans don't seem to do this.
+2! I have two pair of L.L. Bean lined jeans and they have lasted several years. Simply the best!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
BootScootin'FireFighter

contact your local REI and find out when their "attic sale" is. You get some great apparel for 50 to 70% off retail. It's all the returned merchandise for the past 2 months for members only, usually a Saturday morning. Get there at least an hour early to get a good spot, then grab everything you can carry to the fitting room to try on. People are aggressive and like savages, so good stuff goes very fast. I got a super warm windproof alpine hiking pants for $70, retailed @ $240.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

pugbuddy wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:
KABarash wrote:LLBean.....
+2! I have two pair of L.L. Bean lined jeans and they have lasted several years. Simply the best!
ONLY several years???? I have a pair 20+ years now!!

My other trick is wind proofing myself as much as possible. The other morning it was 44* when I pulled out, I swiped a paid of my son's army issue 'winter PT pants' over my jeans I was OK......
jasondavis48108

this moring it was 34 when I left for work. Its getting cold again folks :lol:

I think the key is keeping your hands warm, I had on a pair of neoprene glove liners and a super thick pair of winter gloves. My winter riding gloves (Cortech Scarab winter) just don't cut it when you get into the 30's. I'm now looking at various heated gloves, not sure if I'm gonna get the kind that plug into the bike or the type with thier own rechargable batteries but either way I think I'm gonna have to seriously consider heated gloves as I'm just getting too darn old to be freeze'n my arse off. :lol:
TVB

Post by TVB »

Leaving work this afternoon I found a wet, white substance sprinkled on my scooter.

It's officially cold. (The next few days are supposed to be warmer, though.)
jasondavis48108

TVB wrote:Leaving work this afternoon I found a wet, white substance sprinkled on my scooter.

It's officially cold. (The next few days are supposed to be warmer, though.)
Michigan is a beautiful sate but is has its wet, white, cold drawbacks for sure :lol:
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

jasondavis48108 wrote:this moring it was 34 when I left for work. Its getting cold again folks :lol:

I think the key is keeping your hands warm, I had on a pair of neoprene glove liners and a super thick pair of winter gloves. My winter riding gloves (Cortech Scarab winter) just don't cut it when you get into the 30's. I'm now looking at various heated gloves, not sure if I'm gonna get the kind that plug into the bike or the type with thier own rechargable batteries but either way I think I'm gonna have to seriously consider heated gloves as I'm just getting too darn old to be freeze'n my arse off. :lol:
I have a pair of the Gerbings Hybrid gloves. Expensive, but worth it! I take the glove's battery charger to work with me and charge up the batteries so I know I will have warmth going home too. If you buy the gloves, be sure to water proof them...they don't come that way. Mine are waterproofed now...it took them a couple days to dry out once when it was dumping outside and they weren't waterproofed yet. :cry:

Gerbings Hybrid Gloves Price is what you see + the cost of the batteries. Not cheap, but still a good investment if you ride in the cold regularly.

Note to those with the same issue I have: I have Raynaud's syndrome (basically my fingertips turn white when I get even slightly cold). I have gone through several hundred dollars worth of gloves in the past that were basically a waste of money (still got white, numb, fingertips). These gloves stopped that immediately! My only regret is that I didn't buy heated gloves years ago! :roll:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
jasondavis48108

michelle_7728 wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:this moring it was 34 when I left for work. Its getting cold again folks :lol:

I have a pair of the Gerbings Hybrid gloves. Expensive, but worth it! I take the glove's battery charger to work with me and charge up the batteries so I know I will have warmth going home too. If you buy the gloves, be sure to water proof them...they don't come that way. Mine are waterproofed now...it took them a couple days to dry out once when it was dumping outside and they weren't waterproofed yet. :cry:

Gerbings Hybrid Gloves Price is what you see + the cost of the batteries. Not cheap, but still a good investment if you ride in the cold regularly.

Note to those with the same issue I have: I have Raynaud's syndrome (basically my fingertips turn white when I get even slightly cold). I have gone through several hundred dollars worth of gloves in the past that were basically a waste of money (still got white, numb, fingertips). These gloves stopped that immediately! My only regret is that I didn't buy heated gloves years ago! :roll:
hey michelle I have some questions for ya about these in the other thread that you posted in :)
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

Rippinyarn wrote:I got one of these when they were on sale a few weeks back at JC Whitney. I'm going to rock it like crazy this winter.

Watch the blog for my getting-ready-for-winter gear roundup.
I bought one of these and they are great. I usually have on long underwear or a vest but, even with business clothes on underneath, I have never gotten cold.
BootScootin'FireFighter

the corazzo underhoody I just purchased is super toasty. So warm, I never want to take it off in the apartment. "SOMEONE" likes to keep it on the brisk side!

Ahem... anyway, definately check out the hoody.