Quick question about De-restricting.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Vig6y

Quick question about De-restricting.

Post by Vig6y »

Our family just got a Buddy 50 this past weekend and we're used to riding a Honda Metropolitan 50cc. I'm like everything about it except for one thing, the acceleration. The Metro was the first scooter we got and were not aware of restrictions at the time but it must have been automatically derestricted because I don't remember a time where I wasn't easily able to get up to about 40mph on it. Compared to the Metro, the Buddy's acceleration seems dangerously sluggish, so I'm mainly wondering if derestricting the Buddy 50 will improve the acceleration. It just worries me because I heard a bit about how a 2 stroke of the same cc will be a bit more zippy from the line than a 4 stroke.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Yes, it improves the acceleration and top speed quite a bit on the 50cc. There's a limiting washer in the variator that limits the top speed, a reducer plug in the exhaust and... something else which escapes me at the moment...

They do this because many states have a moped law that says you need license, registration and insurance if it can go over 35 mph. Just read up on your local laws to see if this will effect you or not.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
juice

Post by juice »

Check out this video , just don't let Buddy Raton know . http://vimeo.com/2575002
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

juice wrote:Check out this video , just don't let Buddy Raton know . http://vimeo.com/2575002

Dude be nice....that is totally uncalled for. I have NOTHING against derestricting as long as it is legal.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I think I just might have one of the only legally derestricted Buddies in Michigan if not the country. I don't know many folks who would go through the trouble of having their 50cc scoot reregistered as a motorcycle. It took me over an hour of talking to the lady at the Scretary of state just to convince her that my 50cc was no longer legal and that it did indeed need to be regsitered as a motorcycle. She said it was the first time she had ever heard of such a thing being done in the twenty years that she had worked there. :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
TVB

Re: Quick question about De-restricting.

Post by TVB »

Vig6y wrote:It just worries me because I heard a bit about how a 2 stroke of the same cc will be a bit more zippy from the line than a 4 stroke.
Yeah, if you have a Metro that's outrunning a Buddy, the Metro must have been derestricted, and the Buddy still restricted. It's a fairly simple procedure if you're comfortable with automotive tools; watch the video linked by juice to see what's involved. Once it's done, and the Buddy's engine is broken in, you should be able to hit 40mph on it on level ground.