Buddy Cowl Protector Transformed

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ICEMAN

Buddy Cowl Protector Transformed

Post by ICEMAN »

Here is a picture of the buddy cowl protector that I bought from scooterworks......if you notice it has Hand Grips for foot pegs with a phillips screw through the top to hold it on, the pegs stuck out way too far for me so I did a little mod on them, I cut 2 1/4" off the Peg after removing the Rubber hand grip and screw, and I found some little foot pads and a 7/8 insert to plug the hole at a motorcycle shop, if anyone else is going to do this type of mod the lower support bar with the peg on it is 7/8 size so make sure you buy clamp pegs or pads for that size....it did not take too long and now the pegs do not rub against my legs anymore when I put my feet down......... cost was about $28.00 total for the foot pads and the cool inserts to plug the hole at the end of the cowl pipe.....I could have even gone a little further out and only cut 2" off but the wife said it is very comfortable...now we both are.......also the inserts come in different colors.

Thanks to my wife for modeling and showing off the new foot pegs and saddle bags.....and if anyone wanted to know if the buddy can do a wheelie.......there is your answer! LOL!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ICEMAN on Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

AWESOME!! cool, shiny and very slick.
codemonkey

Post by codemonkey »

SWEET!
Kristy

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

That is WAY cool......I'm obviously overdue to scoot down to my dealer and peep the new gear. I had no idea they had cowl pipes for Buddy's. Also, the saddle bags are very nice.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
ICEMAN

Post by ICEMAN »

Thanks kid......the dealer near me still did not have the cowl protectors in stock, I bought mine through scooterworks....

The Tour FootPad set is made by BikeMaster Part#59-6568 w/7/8"-1" clamp mount.......Cost $13.95

The Bar ends which you see inserted next to the foot pads are from Lockhart Phillips usa, part #135-170 available in 5 colors and made for 7/8" bars, my cost was $12.95

A pretty simple mod that made a world of difference in the cowl protector for me anyway...........
lets_not_listen

Post by lets_not_listen »

great setup. what's the story with the bags? where'd you get 'em? they look great.
-lnl
ICEMAN

Post by ICEMAN »

bruiteur is the one who told me about the Givi saddle bags, the model number is T-427 and many places sell them, the top bag is a Nelson Rigg bag which I bought at a local cycle shop..
lets_not_listen

Post by lets_not_listen »

thanks. i had been thinking about those, but wasn't sure how they'd look, size wise.

-jkp
-lnl
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

Thats a great mod. I didnt like the handlebar look of the old pegs either. Ive been thinking about those same saddle bags but didnt know if they would crowd my passenger. looks like they fit fine.

Tailbag?

Post by Avatar00 »

I've been trying to figure out the model of your Nelson Rigg tailbag. Is it a CL-200?

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/pages/Sport-T ... 00-Big.htm

TIA

Tailbag?

Post by Avatar00 »

I've been trying to figure out the model of your Nelson Rigg tailbag. Is it a CL-200?

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/pages/Sport-T ... 00-Big.htm

TIA
SCOOTERSOLDIER

Post by SCOOTERSOLDIER »

Yes thats it, I cut the top and bottom off of a standard 3 ring binder and inserted it into the bottom of the bag and put one underneath the bag when attatching to the rear rack,and folded those flapsup underneath the rear rack, took a little manipulating to get the bungy cords positioned right but I am happy with the bag.
greencountry

Post by greencountry »

Is the diameter of the cowl protector and the foot peg pipes the same? I'm thinking of buying *just* the cowl protector minus the foot rest portion, then buying the clamp-on foot rests you did and clamping them on the cowl protector tubes directly above/to the outside of the stock foot protectors. Do you think that would work? My wife can't use the foot pegs while she's driving because they're directly in line of her leg reaching for the ground (and it is a reach, she's only 5'1").

TIA~
SCOOTERSOLDIER

Post by SCOOTERSOLDIER »

green

No, the bottom or U-shaped bar you see the foot pads connected to is much larger than the cowl protector tubing, not sure what size it is but I was unable to find any clamp on style foot pegs or footpads that would attach to just the the cowling.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

What is the brand of your Saddlebags? Cool looking foot pads too.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com