To buy or not to buy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

To buy or not to buy.....Yea or Nay?

Yea!
20%
Nay.
80%

Total votes: 20

stickykitteh

To buy or not to buy?

Post by stickykitteh »

One of my friends is trying to sell his moped, which I totally want, but my husband doesn't believe me that it will be a fun project and potentially profitable should we fix it and sell it. I don't know much about these, other than they can fetch a pretty penny from people who love them.

It's a 1970-something Vespa moped (not scooter), 49cc (I think), doesn't run at the moment, but can be fixed fairly easily, with a little bit of investment.

From looking through some other forums, I think it's a Vespa/Piaggio "Ciao" Moped, and depending on the condition, 70's models seem to be running about $300-$600.

My friend is asking $400 for it. Worth it or not? I've always wanted one, and my husband keeps talking about a real moped, but he's not sure that $400 is a fair price for something that doesn't run. In my opinion, my friend would be asking an awful lot more if it was running, and since we're completely capable of fixing it, I think it would be a great winter project.

I should ask again what needed to be fixed, probably, and figure out how much that part would run us. I'll update once I find out.
Attachments
17835_610173507232_199109504_35162522_2565449_n.jpg
17835_610173507232_199109504_35162522_2565449_n.jpg (69.3 KiB) Viewed 950 times
BuddyJ

Post by BuddyJ »

Not running it's closer to $300. Running you could get $500 or so. Parts are abundant for them. Check out treatland and 1977 mopeds.
'06 Buddy 125 - Prima pipe - 11g Dr. Pulley sliders - NCY transmission kit - Prima 161cc kit - NCY big valve head - Unifilter
'09 Stella - Hot Reeds - Hot Wing
tbonestone

Post by tbonestone »

Having previously owned a vespa ciao, among many other mopeds before i joined scootering... $400 for a non-runner is way too high. Honestly i picked up a few for $100 non-running; and only paid $500 for a running all original with warranty card, tool kit, original bill of sale.

Now to the problem with a vespa ciao. If you have any sort of hill in the area, you're gonna be jammed up with slow bike. They are non-variator models, so it is a single speed. Can you hook a variator to it? Yeah, but you're gonna have to find a different wheel first then buy the variator kit from 1977 mopeds or treatshq. If you pick this up consider it a toy because the 25-27mph top speed is gonna suck. Definitely not something i would personally keep in my stable any more. But fix it up, kit it out, sell it to a hipster, you might be able to make a profit. If its not running and not seized up, check the rear tail light. There's a fail safe: if the rear bulb blows the whole bike doesn't run. But don't tell your friend that till you buy it. If it needs one of those goofy keys, if it has the key hole in the head light, there's a shop on the west coast that sells replacements for $4 if i remember right.

However, take my word with a grain of salt. I'm no huge authority on anything. Just drawing on personal experience.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Outside of a few very rare models, no vintage scooter can be restored well and sold at a profit. And mopeds are probably even less lucrative. Quality paintwork and the proper parts will add up to more than anyone wants to pay for it.

Dealers that do it for a living buy parts wholesale and do it to keep their mechanics busy during slow periods, or they work to customer's specs at premium prices. No one's buying up junky scooters and restoring them (well) as a main line of business, it doesn't make financial sense.

If you wanna get it running properly, and street-legal, you might be able to sell it for a little more than your investment, and it'd be fun and you'd learn some mechanical skills.

If you've always dreamed of a shiny new 70s Vespa Grande and you want to restore it to concours condition for yourself, go for it, but you'll soon realize its worth way more to you than any potential buyer.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I'll have to agree with tbone. If it's not running it might be worth $100. $400, no way! Mopeds can be found on CL for $100-200 all the time.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Obviously this thing has the plague. You should stay away from it.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
stickykitteh

nay.

Post by stickykitteh »

wow, you guys are super helpful. thanks for the advice! i'll pass unless i can talk him way down on the price.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Howardr wrote:I'll have to agree with tbone. If it's not running it might be worth $100. $400, no way! Mopeds can be found on CL for $100-200 all the time.

Howard
Mopeds are super-trendy in some cities right now. You'll not find a good running one in LA for under $500 and a good vintage Euro model can go for over a grand.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
fobbish

Post by fobbish »

ericalm wrote:
Howardr wrote:I'll have to agree with tbone. If it's not running it might be worth $100. $400, no way! Mopeds can be found on CL for $100-200 all the time.

Howard
Mopeds are super-trendy in some cities right now. You'll not find a good running one in LA for under $500 and a good vintage Euro model can go for over a grand.
She clearly does not live in LA.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Yeah, Vespas sell on the high end of the moped scale, but that still seems a bit high for a non-runner. Or at least a fair price, but nothing resembling a bargain.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.