Can I safely remove this?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

slotrod65

Can I safely remove this?

Post by slotrod65 »

I am adding extra tail lights and need to send some wires down into the body. Can I safely remove the hose I am pointing to and plug the nozzle?

djp4059

Post by djp4059 »

That's for emissions (EVAP) the hose eventually connects to a vacuum line on the rubber intake manifold right before your carb. You should plug the vacuum connection on the intake too.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Thanks. I have a RAM air filter on there anyway, so the old air box/intake hose is already gone.

Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

I was having some of the EVAP issues discussed in the forums. Unplugged the hose, plugged the end of that cap, and got a 2t cap.

If you are removing that hose and plugging it, be sure to get a vented cap.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Couldn't I just drill a pin hole in the top of my 4T cap?
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Slotrod......
I want to see pictures of your added extra tailights!
You do good mods
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

slotrod65 wrote:Couldn't I just drill a pin hole in the top of my 4T cap?
Or you could do that ;)
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

OK, why drill a hole in anything then you can just remove the hose and you'll have an atmospheric vent?

Pull it off by the rollover valve so you have some hose length to prevent fuel from just splashing out on your paint.

The hole drilling was necessary for the 2T because the 2T fuel tank didn't have a rollover valve or evap system.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

jimmbomb wrote:Slotrod......
You do good mods
Thanks.

Here are the mods: A pair of "Zeppelin" style lights wired as aux turn signals. Since the bracket I used for mounting as insulated, I had to run a separate ground wire. These LED lit aux turn signals are very bright!

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Yalzin wrote:I was having some of the EVAP issues discussed in the forums. Unplugged the hose, plugged the end of that cap, and got a 2t cap.
So, did you do the test as described on the forum? Loosen the cap. Ride the bike. Did the problem go away? If so, you have an "evap" (tank venting) issue. If the problem did not go away, it was not caused by the evap system. (all rough idle, stalling, and power loss issues are not caused by a faulty evap system - in fact , very few of them are in my experience)
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

slotrod65 wrote:
jimmbomb wrote:Slotrod......
You do good mods
Thanks.

Here are the mods: A pair of "Zeppelin" style lights wired as aux turn signals. Since the bracket I used for mounting as insulated, I had to run a separate ground wire. These LED lit aux turn signals are very bright!

Very Nice!!!!
Good job!!! Where did you get those LED Zeps?
and a close up picture on how they mounted to the round chrome would be nice too!!
Looks Good, man!!
Mod your shit!
J H
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Dooglas wrote:
Yalzin wrote:I was having some of the EVAP issues discussed in the forums. Unplugged the hose, plugged the end of that cap, and got a 2t cap.
So, did you do the test as described on the forum? Loosen the cap. Ride the bike. Did the problem go away? If so, you have an "evap" (tank venting) issue. If the problem did not go away, it was not caused by the evap system. (all rough idle, stalling, and power loss issues are not caused by a faulty evap system - in fact , very few of them are in my experience)
It wasn't so much a faulty evap system as gas getting into the hose when going up hill, causing the rough idle/stall/power loss. The mechanic at the shop designed something to try and prevent that from happening, which we have yet to try, but for now, the vented cap and plugging the evap system work.

I'll be heading to Upstate NY in a few weeks. I'll have to keep an eye out for your Stella, slotrod!
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

jimmbomb wrote:
Very Nice!!!!
Good job!!! Where did you get those LED Zeps?
and a close up picture on how they mounted to the round chrome would be nice too!!
Looks Good, man!!
Mod your shit!
For the lights, just search ebay motors for "Bullet Light" or "Zeppelin Light" They come with 3, 2, or no fins. I added LED bulbs from http://www.autolumination.com/

To attach, I simply used 5/8" D clamps like those pictured below. I bought them at my local hardware store. I did have to drill out the holes to fit the mounting posts on the lamp. I kept the rubber on to get the clamp to hold on the curved section of the spare tire holder.

I almost went with chrome cable wrap, but I found the candy striped stuff on ebay.

jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

thanks
J H