Is My Scooter Too Juvenile?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JHScoot

Is My Scooter Too Juvenile?

Post by JHScoot »

For a grown ass man like me, i mean?

I am mid forties and like to have as much fun as the next person, and while I have no qualms about riding a scooter of any kind I have sort of sticker'd out my scoot and added some...personality to it. But maybe I have gone too far, or should just get more subtle decals and such?

Pay no mind to the pinstripes on the muffler cover, those are coming off as i have decided i don't like them. But i would like to keep my fuzzy dice :(

However it is those dice that got me thinking 'dude have a bit of scooter dignity!'

Maybe I have gone one or two steps too far? :arrow:

I mean, no one can really see me under my helmet and sunglasses, so they can't think "look at that old dude on that ridiculous scooter." And I really don't care if THEY think it. But what if I think it? It might be true :(

I just don't want to be ridiculous

So, is this a man scooter or a boy scooter or what?

:helmet:
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Whats the X for?
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Xtheband

http://www.xtheband.com/

its not a band logo or anything so only i know that, really
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

If you have to ask, the answer is yes.

Should you care? No.

Growing older is mandatory, Growing up is optional.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Scooter is as scooter does. You put the attitude in it when you ride. If you feel good, then the scooter is perfect.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
TVB

Re: Is My Scooter Too Juvenile?

Post by TVB »

JHScoot wrote:So, is this a man scooter or a boy scooter or what?
Yes. Take your pick. Speaking as a man who remembers President Nixon, I say: who gives a damn? :)
Xtheband
I can still remember, (more than) a couple of years ago, when the smoke and flame called my name...
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Who cares? Are you having fun? Then enjoy it.

I'm 6'3" and ride scooters. My co-workers say I look like a bear on a bicycle. Do I care? No! I'm having too much fun!

As long as you're having fun, don't sweat it.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

TVB wrote:
JHScoot wrote:So, is this a man scooter or a boy scooter or what?
Yes. Take your pick. Speaking as a man who remembers President Nixon, I say: who gives a damn? :)
Heh, I remember the JFK/Nixon debates and then the eventual election of JFK...I feel old...

Coming from a man in his mid 50's and riding a Blur, naw, ride it like you stole it! :D

And the fuzzy dice? Hey, it's no different than an older guy driving a hot rod with fuzzy dice hanging off it's mirror! :D
Come to think about it, about the only one that can afford a hot rod is going to be an older guy!

BTW: I think I can see a spider crawling into your helmet...
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

cool cool cool :D

i think i am going to remove the "bomb head" sticker, though. it was an after thought and i don't really care for it

cost me $10, though :roll:

maybe i'll just put it somewhere else....
Kaos wrote:Who cares? Are you having fun? Then enjoy it.

I'm 6'3" and ride scooters. My co-workers say I look like a bear on a bicycle. Do I care? No! I'm having too much fun!

As long as you're having fun, don't sweat it.
yeah i LOVE my scooter. just had its first service. i'll ride ANYTHING. i don't care how i look on it, but might care how the scooter looks if i've changed it somehow. especially when i start doing stuff to it like adding stickers, reflector tape, and stuff like that

i have been known to go too far in the past with certain....things like that. when i was 20, fine....but at 45 sometimes i think 'Hmm?' :(

i gotta get a sticker like my avatar and plaster it somewhere =]
rajron

Post by rajron »

“X” here in Albuquerque means something different:
http://www.saintpiusx.com/NetCommunity/ ... px?pid=196
“X” stickers are on a lot of mini vans, SUV’s etc. – love the fuzzy dice, just tough to put in the pocket, you will never find any of the “X” vehicles here with fuzzy dice.
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

Come Sunday I will celebrate my 64th birthday. When I ride my scooters I look like a dog going down the road with his head stuck out a car window grinning from ear to ear. Grow up you say? Balderdash!

Good Lord! In dog years I'll be 448.
Attachments
Grinning dog.jpg
Grinning dog.jpg (3.5 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

JHScoot wrote:'dude have a bit of scooter dignity!'
No such thing, only scooter 'tude. Your ride looks great.
Clearly.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

JHScoot wrote:"look at that old dude on that ridiculous scooter." And I really don't care if THEY think it. But what if I think it? It might be true :(
Does it really matter??
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

KABarash wrote:
JHScoot wrote:"look at that old dude on that ridiculous scooter." And I really don't care if THEY think it. But what if I think it? It might be true :(
Does it really matter??
spoken like kermit on a scooter :P

also, the dice are gone. because when i went into the gym this morning and came back out....they were gone! :nerd:

man, nothing is safe on a scoot if it isn't locked up, apparently
loodieboy wrote:
JHScoot wrote:'dude have a bit of scooter dignity!'
No such thing, only scooter 'tude. Your ride looks great.
thank you :)
TVB

Post by TVB »

JHScoot wrote:also, the dice are gone. because when i went into the gym this morning and came back out....they were gone! :nerd:
man, nothing is safe on a scoot if it isn't locked up, apparently
Just proof that they were cool after all. If they weren't, no one would have taken them. 8)
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

As a young buck (25 years old), I'd say your scooter looks just fine.

It doesn't scream "12/18/60 year old." I wouldn't be able to guess the age of a rider based only on seeing his/her scooter, contextual clues aside (e.g. high school/college campus, etc.).
squasher5

Post by squasher5 »

Nice post. I am 70, and ride a Buddy 50.

Yes....it's all about fun! :D
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

O my God! I have more stickers on my scooter and I'm 58 yrs Young. Don't worry what others think of you and your scooter. Your only as old as you feel. Enjoy the scooter and I think it looks great.
Dibber
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
Bcon

Post by Bcon »

Maybe years ago I would have cared about what others thought about my ride, but not anymore. If I cared, I wouldn't ride a scooter, let alone one called a "Buddy". :lol:

Do what you like. If you think you've gone to far with the stickerization, back off a bit. Personally, I don't think your scoot looks overdone at all.

Please, please though, don't replace the dice with those big plastic testicles I see hanging from the rear of pickups.
2004 Stella
BMW F800ST
susann.t

Post by susann.t »

I think it looks great. And "no" I don't think there are too many stickers.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

You get an all clear from a 2t pilot too :D And the persons responsible for the removal of your dice will pay dearly! Karma is a .... well, you know. I always keep a set of fuzzy dice in the garage FYI. I never ask if what my scooter looks like reveals my age, ask instead if how people react reveals their age :!:
EZPZ #65
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I'm 50 and have to admit I feel a little conspicuous when I get to work (it's the only scooter, and I'm the only lady rider, not to mention not in my 20s or 30s to boot), but then I think "Heck, who cares! I'm having fun."

The fellow I got my Yamaha Majesty 400 from took one of my Buddys as a partial trade and he mentioned he is in his 70s and had owned a Vino in the past. (I think he said he had only been riding 5 years or so, but I might be misremembering). Anyhow, we met somewhere, did the trade (plus some cash on my part) then rode our separate ways. He emailed me later that he enjoyed the ride home. None of us are too old to have fun, right? :D

I have this sticker on a platform I attached to my rear rack.

I think your scooter looks fine!
Attachments
Have a nice day.jpg
Have a nice day.jpg (93.39 KiB) Viewed 2996 times
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
prrfan53

Scoot image...

Post by prrfan53 »

At 75 I ride to enjoy...takes off a bunch a those extra years! Since we've paid our age/experience dues, ours is the opinion that matters most; scoot on sir!!!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

great post all around

i won't be replacing my dice with more dice or those dangling plastic testicles (i saw some of those hanging from a car recently and was just 'wtf'), but the bombhead sticker stays. i like bombhead :)

got rid of those pinstripes on the muffler cover, too

glad everyone is having fun with their scoots :D
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

No one in LA grows up. One of the benefits of living here.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Your scooter looks awesome, and it only seems to reflect your young at heart personality. Don't spend too much time analyzing who you are or try to fit into what is perceived as "normal". You totally rock dude.

I have amassed a small army of stickers, or I like to call "road flair's". It's to the point where I have to retire a sticker before new ones come on. I don't think I'll ever part with my CHP badge decal though. I felt compelled to remove one last week though because it was politically motivated, and parking the scooter in a government building with that on could be in violation, or parking it in certain regions of the Commonwealth of Virginia could encourage some people to vandalize it.

if it's any consolation, I still play LEGO Star Wars on the Wii at the firehouse.
Last edited by BootScootin'FireFighter on Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Mikie M. wrote:Come Sunday I will celebrate my 64th birthday. When I ride my scooters I look like a dog going down the road with his head stuck out a car window grinning from ear to ear. Grow up you say? Balderdash!

Do you have lots of slobber? :D
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Dibber wrote:O my God! I have more stickers on my scooter and I'm 58 yrs Young. Don't worry what others think of you and your scooter. Your only as old as you feel. Enjoy the scooter and I think it looks great.
Dibber

I said thatto Diva Bocette once..."Here I am in my 50's playing with scooters and stickers"...all she said was.."Good for you...where do you think I should put this tail of the dragon sticker on Buddy?"

She's a keeper!
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
michelle_7728

Re: Scoot image...

Post by michelle_7728 »

prrfan53 wrote:At 75 I ride to enjoy...takes off a bunch a those extra years! Since we've paid our age/experience dues, ours is the opinion that matters most; scoot on sir!!!
Well said! :D
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
the3rdleonard

Post by the3rdleonard »

Scooter looks great, honestly I expected more stickers with your description, keep ridin' proud bro. My only thought on something to change ... DUDE, GET YOUR HELMET OUTTA THE IVY!!! DOGS CHECK THEIR PEE-MAIL THERE!!! :shock:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

the3rdleonard wrote:DUDE, GET YOUR HELMET OUTTA THE IVY!!! DOGS CHECK THEIR PEE-MAIL THERE!!! :shock:
I learned a new expression today! :D
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

BuddyRaton wrote:
Mikie M. wrote:Come Sunday I will celebrate my 64th birthday. When I ride my scooters I look like a dog going down the road with his head stuck out a car window grinning from ear to ear. Grow up you say? Balderdash!

Do you have lots of slobber? :D
No, but the other day I coughed up a loogie so big you could patch a tire with it. Getting old sucks! That's why I'm staying young. 8)
Greta

Post by Greta »

I say it's awesome looking and I applaud your individuality. With getting older comes the attitude of strong self. yay for you and boo to the cookie cutters.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ cool. thanks for all the great replies and compliments on my humble little scoot :)

i like my scooter, and have around 1,200 miles of lifetime riding under my belt now. being i have been riding but a few months and am a local rider, i'd say thats pretty good

or as larry david might say. "pretty good. pretty, pretty good" :P

i have since removed the silver pinstripes on the scooter. i just think they looked out of place. i think i will give it another try with red. great thing about scooters is you can just change cosmetic stuff as it comes and goes along

i have also been toying with the idea of changing the faring panels to black. since the scooter has so much black plastic on it as is, i figure changing the faceplate and two rear faring pieces to gloss black would be sort of cool. a completely blacked out scooter

i found a place where i can order all the pieces for around $165. not bad, and i can buy them piece by piece maybe just to experiment. i wonder how the faceplate would look black, with the red rear faring left red? i think i may have to find out for myself!

using photoshop first, of course :roll:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Think you'll be ready to come join a group outing soon? :)
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ yeah. i have a "Maybe" for the holiday lights ride. its a "maybe" because i have a commitment in Long Beach that afternoon and it could run into the evening. how long into the evening i don't know, as its an open ended holiday volunteer thing, with a holiday party thrown in. but i think i can make it back and if not reach NoHo, then at least join the ride somewhere along the route, as its on my side of town

my sister also lives around a mile from the Balian Mansion and i talked to mike the other day (i need a gas cap) and he mentioned the ride and said people can meet at the mansion and ride the rest of the way. so thats also a possibility if i am super pressed for time. then we can ride past my sisters house like a scooter gang and terrorize her and my 'bro in law with a Christmas Carol of Stebal horns :P

so, i think that may be a go, thanks for asking. i am pretty sure i have the riding skills for a group ride now. i mean i can lane split pretty well and maneuver in and out of gas stations and around cars. why, what could be easier!?

i will make sure to keep my insurance card nearby, however :)
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

You're a scooter rider in North America. To the larger motorcycling community here, that de facto makes you the equivalent of the guy who wears his TNG Star Fleet uniform and Vulcan ears to jury duty. You don't ride a scoot in our society for reasons of image unless you're into the vintage/Stella scene or have a modern Vespa.

Worrying about what people think of what you stick on your scoot is besides the point. Be like so many of us: embrace your inner Scooter Nerd. Hell, I like to joke that I ride a scooter intended for Taiwanese schoolgirls. I *have* no hope of cool. I ride it because it was what it was I could afford, and it's a fun ride.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Sparky wrote:You're a scooter rider in North America. To the larger motorcycling community here, that de facto makes you the equivalent of the guy who wears his TNG Star Fleet uniform and Vulcan ears to jury duty. You don't ride a scoot in our society for reasons of image unless you're into the vintage/Stella scene or have a modern Vespa.

Worrying about what people think of what you stick on your scoot is besides the point. Be like so many of us: embrace your inner Scooter Nerd. Hell, I like to joke that I ride a scooter intended for Taiwanese schoolgirls. I *have* no hope of cool. I ride it because it was what it was I could afford, and it's a fun ride.
Wait, you mean I'm supposed to maintain an IMAGE when I'm riding my vintages?! Am I supposed to be broken down on the side of the road drinking a beer that I keep in the side cowl? :P

Who cares about the image? Get on the bike and ride! 8)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Kaos wrote:Wait, you mean I'm supposed to maintain an IMAGE when I'm riding my vintages?! Am I supposed to be broken down on the side of the road drinking a beer that I keep in the side cowl? :P
Wait, you have a Lambretta?
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:
Kaos wrote:Wait, you mean I'm supposed to maintain an IMAGE when I'm riding my vintages?! Am I supposed to be broken down on the side of the road drinking a beer that I keep in the side cowl? :P
Wait, you have a Lambretta?
Hah! With as much as its broken lately, my Vespa Super seems like a Lambretta sometimes :)
fobbish

Post by fobbish »

Style matters. Scooter riders get enough grief already.
Tam Tam

wise words someone else said

Post by Tam Tam »

to quote Don Vito Corleone - "If you are happy, then I am happy"
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Kaos wrote:
Sparky wrote:You're a scooter rider in North America. To the larger motorcycling community here, that de facto makes you the equivalent of the guy who wears his TNG Star Fleet uniform and Vulcan ears to jury duty. You don't ride a scoot in our society for reasons of image unless you're into the vintage/Stella scene or have a modern Vespa.

Wait, you mean I'm supposed to maintain an IMAGE when I'm riding my vintages?! Am I supposed to be broken down on the side of the road drinking a beer that I keep in the side cowl? :P

You mean that image of looking like you wrecked when you lay it over on the engine side to change the flat rear tubed tire?

Or that so much better image of having your 64 GL on the center stand on the sidewalk while your laid out under it trying to get the pinch bolt onto the clutch cable and people stop to help you...because your laying under your scooter....on the sidewalk...and they figure you wrecked...and of course the image you present when you finally catch up to the rally pack lunch stop covered in grease? :lol:
www.teamscootertrash.com

Kaos

Post by Kaos »

BuddyRaton wrote:
Kaos wrote:

You mean that image of looking like you wrecked when you lay it over on the engine side to change the flat rear tubed tire?

Or that so much better image of having your 64 GL on the center stand on the sidewalk while your laid out under it trying to get the pinch bolt onto the clutch cable and people stop to help you...because your laying under your scooter....on the sidewalk...and they figure you wrecked...and of course the image you present when you finally catch up to the rally pack lunch stop covered in grease? :lol:
All of the above? I've got an awesome picture of me using my LUNCH as a jackstand to change a rear flat on one of my Supers. And I often show up to the office with grease on my hands from pulling over to adjust this or that.

I'm also fond of group rides that are really long, to the point that I run out of gas, and have to pull over to switch it to reserve and kickstart it again.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Kaos wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:
Kaos wrote: Wait, you mean I'm supposed to maintain an IMAGE when I'm riding my vintages?! Am I supposed to be broken down on the side of the road drinking a beer that I keep in the side cowl? :P

All of the above? I've got an awesome picture of me using my LUNCH as a jackstand to change a rear flat on one of my Supers. And I often show up to the office with grease on my hands from pulling over to adjust this or that.

I'm also fond of group rides that are really long, to the point that I run out of gas, and have to pull over to switch it to reserve and kickstart it again.
You need to learn the move! Pull the clutch, shift to neutral...reach down with left hand and turn to reserve....open throttle...back in gear dump the clutch...

Not that I have ever had to do this! :shock:

64 GL clutch cable! Tool bag makes a good pillow!

WSM Blown carb gasket...po little scooter bleeding out.
www.teamscootertrash.com

Kaos

Post by Kaos »

BuddyRaton wrote:
Kaos wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:

You need to learn the move! Pull the clutch, shift to neutral...reach down with left hand and turn to reserve....open throttle...back in gear dump the clutch...

Not that I have ever had to do this! :shock:

64 GL clutch cable! Tool bag makes a good pillow!

WSM Blown carb gasket...po little scooter bleeding out.
Heh, I've done that as well. :) I just don't tend to do it on group rides, because most of the other riders tend to be on moderns and have no idea what I'm doing. I don't want to be riding erratically in the middle of a bunch of other riders. :)
buddy boy

Post by buddy boy »

You shouldn't care what others think of you. Only you can judge yourself. As for the appearance of your ride, do what you like. I for one, enjoy attaching as much crap as I can find from the Home Depot, Scoot Richmond, and most recently, IKEA, to my scooter. You can check out the evidence here...http://sites.google.com/site/buddyboysc ... e/pictures
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I saw the OP's scooter this weekend when JHScoot came out for our holiday lights ride. In a crowd of scooters, it certainly didn't stand out as unusually juvenile. :)
:shock: Wow. :shock:
Fully loaded!

Watch out with that custom backrest. The rear panels can crack if weighted down or stressed too much.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

ericalm wrote:I saw the OP's scooter this weekend when JHScoot came out for our holiday lights ride. In a crowd of scooters, it certainly didn't stand out as unusually juvenile.
why, thank you

of course when its blending in with a wreath festooned Stella, a candy caned Chetak, a Hello Kitty 'Met, and a group leader sporting the Michelin Man on his helmet, well, that couldn't hurt matters! :P

nah, i am cool with my scooter, now. partly thanks to this thread. and i did remove the fuzzy dice and bad silver pinstripes

i am not quite finished with it, however. a little something more can always be done :idea:

EDIT: just saw the first few buddy boy pics :shock:
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I'm 74 years old. I ride with a group of equally seasoned hellions. Most of them ride Burgmans, but I try to give the group a better example to follow. If anyone wants to give us a ration of s#!t, say hello to my little friend!