Used FF "Bunker Gear" for cold weather riding

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BootScootin'FireFighter

Used FF "Bunker Gear" for cold weather riding

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

So while my usual cold weather riding ensemble is sufficient on most days, I've found that it isn't quite holding up in super cold temperatures and long duration rides. When I get sent to cover at other stations, I wear my "bunker pants" and boots on to ride with, allowing me to fit everything on my scooter for the trip, see photo below.

I've discovered that I've got the best of all worlds with these pants when riding. They're multi-layered apparel, including a kevlar or nomex outer shell with water repellent treatment, a moisture barrier, and most importantly, a thermal barrier. They're designed to get wet, and be exposed to extreme temperatures, both hot and cold. They're built extremely durable, and most include reflective ankle striping and some sort of extra padding on the knee, side pockets are optional.

Our supply warehouse (Arlington FD) has probably a few hundred of these pants (and boots) in surplus that are used, and stored for spare or training purposes. I'm sure this is the same in most fire departments around the world, so there are thousands of these pants looking for new homes and get tossed whenever replacements arrive. A lot of people sell them after they retire. They're out there, they're available to purchase online, for a fraction of what they go for new. Many for less then $100, and all they really need at the most is a good commercial wash. If you search around on ebay, some of the top quality brands are Globe, Morning Pride, and Cairns. The pants alone go for at least $600 new. There are a lot of boot makes and models, but the main features are no laces, waterproof, and steel toe, pull ups.

I just thought I'd throw that out to anyone looking for more options, maybe a long road trip in the winter. I'm not kidding when I say you could wear shorts and still be toasty. Shoot me any more questions.

And no, I wouldn't wear the coat around on the scooter, that would be a little ridiculous.

WHAT I'M WEARING

USED BUNKER PANTS

ANOTHER AUCTION SITE

Also check around on Ebay
Attachments
scootintodetail.jpg
scootintodetail.jpg (46.48 KiB) Viewed 850 times
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Nah, I'll stick to my jeans. :wink:

That's actually a really good idea. Recycling them around keeps them from going to waist. I'm sure you're completely right about them keeping you warm. I think I'll have a look around.

A few questions:
How much do those tend to weigh in at and can they be slipped over boots? That's the biggest time sink in the mornings, getting the pants and boots on (multi-layer overpants and getting the boots tucked in just right).

How do they fit? Are they sized as overpants or is the listed size the actual measurement?

Thanks for the tip!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Hmmmm... maybe I could impress the Ladies if they think I'm a Firefighter :wink:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Hmmmm... maybe I could impress the Ladies if they think I'm a Firefighter :wink:
Blah, blah, blah, insinuating hose reference. Burn.

Double pun and score.

Sorry, you left that right open. :wink:
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Lostmycage wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:Hmmmm... maybe I could impress the Ladies if they think I'm a Firefighter :wink:
Blah, blah, blah, insinuating hose reference. Burn.

Double pun and score.

Sorry, you left that right open. :wink:
Totally missed that :)

trackpete

Post by trackpete »

That's a really interesting idea, especially considering the tear resistance as well (probably higher than most armored pants). In an initial check I'm not seeing much about the cold weatherness of them though - and it looks like only the higher rated stuff requires real waterproofing.

Still, it does seem like pants that met NEPA 1951 CBRN would be pretty awesome. Now I'm curious as to how comfortable they are in the summer and how bulky they are... (I am on the look out for a new shell to take to south america that needs to be able to perform in all conditions but it looks like these can't have vents and meet the req's)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
BootScootin'FireFighter

Lostmycage wrote:A few questions:
How much do those tend to weigh in at and can they be slipped over boots? That's the biggest time sink in the mornings, getting the pants and boots on (multi-layer overpants and getting the boots tucked in just right).

How do they fit? Are they sized as overpants or is the listed size the actual measurement?
They're actually really light, maybe like a pair of quilted coverall pants. The photo is my newer set "G-Xtreme", it has the pockets, but is actually baggier fitting, so I made them my reserve since the photo (last year). The set I have now don't have the pockets, are a discontinued model, and actually fit very well without the goofy suspenders. It's size 34, waist 32. I usually wear about 32w and 32L jeans. I'm about 6', and they have a lot of dexterity, and fit comfortably over jeans or slacks. They also fit over boots, so any sort of hi-top or combat style boots will work. Again, as Pete said, I wouldn't use mine around here everyday, but if I knew I was out on the road for a few hours or long distance, I'd bring them along. Fortunately for me, they don't see much action since I drive the engine most days, so they're always pretty clean.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

So what is is like, driving a fire engine? do you have to swing waaaayyy wide, like a semi truck, or swing mid-way between what a semi truck and a car would, since there's someone steering the back as well? Or do they just steer the back when maneuvering to park at a fire? :)

...and is it true that if a car is illegally parked by a hyrant that the firetruck can just push them out of the way with their bumper?

Does your station have a dalmation?

Ah, the questions we have all had and never had anyone to ask them of before! :P
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

No need to move the car. That's what axes are for.

wifiducky

Post by wifiducky »

hahahaha looks like something id wear
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

OK, so if I were to get some of these, order a size larger (like I would motorcycle overpants). I think I might look into this. I could add some armor pockets and have the best of both worlds for potentially very cheap. If they're easier to get on and off than my current over pants then I might be sold.
BootScootin'FireFighter

michelle_7728 wrote:So what is is like, driving a fire engine? do you have to swing waaaayyy wide, like a semi truck, or swing mid-way between what a semi truck and a car would, since there's someone steering the back as well? Or do they just steer the back when maneuvering to park at a fire? :)

...and is it true that if a car is illegally parked by a hyrant that the firetruck can just push them out of the way with their bumper?

Does your station have a dalmation?

Ah, the questions we have all had and never had anyone to ask them of before! :P
wow, this thread went out to left field! Actually, the engine I'm assigned to is a typical, run of the mill "pumper" truck. It may look big, but it actually doesn't take much to maneuver, like driving a much heavier mini-van with a high seat. Our dept used to have the long "hook and ladder" trucks with a tiller person steering the back end, but phased them out because they are very expensive to maintain and insure. Now we use ladder trucks with fixed rear axles, not as fun. I've never broken a car window like that, but have called in several tow jobs. It's a very rare occurance to do, but there was a hi-rise fire over in the District a few weeks ago, and a contractor van was blocking the alley access, so the driver of the ladder truck had to gently ram it to get in and get the ladder up for a few grabs. It's pretty impressive video and audio considering how complex the incident was.video and audio footage No dog here, occassionally someone may bring their dog from home in for the day though.
TVB

Post by TVB »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:It may look big, but it actually doesn't take much to maneuver, like driving a much heavier mini-van with a high seat.
Looks like it has a pretty short wheel base, which would make it highly maneuverable for its size.
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote: Actually, the engine I'm assigned to is a typical, run of the mill "pumper" truck. It may look big, but it actually doesn't take much to maneuver, like driving a much heavier mini-van with a high seat. Our dept used to have the long "hook and ladder" trucks with a tiller person steering the back end, but phased them out because they are very expensive to maintain and insure. Now we use ladder trucks with fixed rear axles, not as fun.
They're bloody expensive, too. I think a truck like yours goes for $300-400K.

Pretty sweet. Driving one of those with full sirens, even though the REASON might be grim, has got to be kinda fun.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Wow! That is so impressive! You guys are awesome for going up to the 9th and 10th floors on those ladders to rescue people! Those are some nasty looking fires...though probably most of them are, I'd bet.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
BootScootin'FireFighter

well, it's a job, nothing like all the hype on TV and movies. Big incidents like that are very rare. Highlights of this week, holding a puke bucket for a handcuffed PCP overdose man who took 5 of us and a few cops to restrain; and today a blue Super Shuttle driver who rammed a dozen cars while going over 90mph on the way to Dulles Airport, then spitting on the cops. Good times.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Excellent... I'll be taking Super Shuttle in a few days. I don't know what to look forward to most, that or the TSA groping. Either way they should buy me a beer first!

killbilly

Post by killbilly »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Excellent... I'll be taking Super Shuttle in a few days. I don't know what to look forward to most, that or the TSA groping. Either way they should buy me a beer first!
Hey, I travel a lot. It gets lonely on the road...
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Boy, this thread is really degrading...read on! The other day I saw someone drive by, as they were driving away I saw the driver spit out the window. I happened to look down at his plate, and it wasn't a vanity plate but the last three alphanumerics were "SPT". I was thinking, "How appropiate!"

Okay, not terribly funny, but I just was reminded of that by the post I just read. :P
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Hate to threadjack here, but I should have phrased my previous post as a question. If I were to get a pair of these pants to be used as overpants, should I order a size larger than the pants I wear or do size them to be worn over other clothes?
BootScootin'FireFighter

Lostmycage wrote:Hate to threadjack here, but I should have phrased my previous post as a question. If I were to get a pair of these pants to be used as overpants, should I order a size larger than the pants I wear or do size them to be worn over other clothes?
I'm not 100% positive on that one, that's an interesting question. I wear a 34 size, waist 32, what that exactly means, I'm not sure. Its designed to be worn over normal clothes. If you found something on ebay, I'd suggest calling the manufacturer company, explain to them that your buying it used for non fire purposes, and give them your pant sizes. From there they should be able to suggest a size range. Different makes may measure differently, like going to Express or Old Navy. They're not a perfect fit either, there are small straps on the hips that can synch down tighter.